Axpona Chicago April 25-27 2014 Daily Blog

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I can view it Myles. Great pictures and hopefully things will settle down. I forgot for a millisecond that Axpona changed hotels this year when I read your thoughts on the rooms and the slap echo thinking it wasn't a problem last year.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Great pics Myles . Great commentary as well. Wow some of those TT look great .

Al

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
Thanks Myles, great coverage and most appreciated by audiophiles who live overseas.
Best,
Neville

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
Thanks Myles, great shoots.

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
Looks fine on Facebook. Checked out the Day 1 and Day 2 photos and Day 1 blog. Watching for more... :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
thanks for the TT pics and mini reviews.

how was the crowd, age level, etc.?

Good questions. Saw organizer Steve Davis at the end of the show and he expected the final attendance numbers to be between 5500-6000. That's up from last year. Halls were always full and saw people of all ages, sexes, ethnicities, orientation, etc. :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks for the update and final comments - I am very happy that the Sonusfaber Aida's are finally getting the recognition they deserve.

Do you think the Aida's really need a lot of power? This wasn't the greatest room yet the Aidas seemed the most linear I've heard them at a show. And with a Class-D amp no less and with a front-end that by the end of the show that had only 69 total hours on it which I think accounted for some of the dynamic reticence. Think people were most impressed that these D-class amps weren't producing paper thin images and were in fact, darn transparent. and smooth Interestingly too, ARC isn't jumping on the NCore bandwagon instead using Ecores with a big power supply and lots of filtering.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Do you think the Aida's really need a lot of power?

Yes, they need. It is why I finally gave up on them. The ARC people are using them at the factory with two DS450s class D for bass and two REF250s for medium/treble. The friend who got my pair is using them with ARC REF 610T fitted with KT120's.

Also their impedance is benign with all settings at "0" - once you switch on the back speaker units and move the level settings it becomes a difficult load. A great speaker, but it would oblige me to change my whole system. If it was not my love for tubes I could have tried four or six Devialet's - people who tried it say it is a fantastic match.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yes, they need. It is why I finally gave up on them. The ARC people are using them at the factory with two DS450s class D for bass and two REF250s for medium/treble. The friend who got my pair is using them with ARC REF 610T fitted with KT120's.

Also their impedance is benign with all settings at "0" - once you switch on the back speaker units and move the level settings it becomes a difficult load. A great speaker, but it would oblige me to change my whole system. If it was not my love for tubes I could have tried four or six Devialet's - people who tried it say it is a fantastic match.

Is it just me or are more and more of these all out efforts getting harder and harder to drive?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I could only see a bit of the great photos.

Facebook wanted me to log in to see more.

I do not want to register on Facebook so I guess I just got a preview.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Day three pics are all phono related. Do I see a trend?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Day three pics are all phono related. Do I see a trend?

Know it seems like that but had basically gone through all the rooms and this was what I had missed or had left. Actually had some others but ended up not using them.

I can always post them later as add ons here. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing