Transparent vs Shunyata

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Has anyone compared the upper levels of these two brands? If so, can you describe any differences?

Thanks in advance.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
MadFloyd,

First let me say that I am envious of your system. I bet it sounds great and contains some of my favorite/wish products, especially the Alexia's. I have written widely about my experiences with Shunyata products on this forum and think I have a fairly good sense of the fundamental design philosophy behind the products. To date I have been more off a fan of their PC's and power distribution products than their signal products, although I am extremely impressed with an Anaconda digital S/PDIF cable I am evaluating against my MIT MA-X digital.

All I know is that some of the best sound I have heard to the point I dream about owning it was your speaker and wire combo in the Wilson Booth last spring at the NYC audio show. Having said the obvious, that the combination is wonderful, I do not know if something else would be better in your system

I have been a true believer in the benefit of the Shunyata Zitron PC systems. During the past year I have used all of their Zitron PC's in various capacities in my system and have upgraded from one to another in the same location on a number of occasions. I communicate fairly regularly with Caelin who has been very helpful with my understanding of what I am hearing and thinking. Bottom line, I am quite comfortable with my assessments on that front and I am a believer. Since I have a Spectral amp I am somewhat limited to MIT IC's with it because the Shunyata IC's do not work, nor sound well.

Currently I am a fan of Caelin's latest move to address elimination of particular types of noise using specialized application specific filters. Although I know that what I am currently using for PC's (Alpha Digital and Alpha HC's replacing Anaconda's and Python's) are the entry level reference products in this area, they are all that is available at this time, but still wonderful and every bit a match for what they replaced although very different. I am excited about what is coming down the pike in the fall using his latest thinking on this front.

If I were to offer you any suggestions it would be to explore the Shunyata power distribution products like the Triton and Typhon. They create a benefit that is hard to describe, although positive in every way without any negative, at least in my system. I would recommend reading the various posts on the following thread, including some of mine and I think that you will have a fairly good idea about what people think about these products and the incredible degree of consistency of findings.
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...w-the-Shunyata-Typhon-addition-for-the-Triton

My only advice is do not try either a Triton, which I would explore first, or a Typhon if you are not ready to purchase it. The difference is that big and positive. I love my Shunyata dealer, Sanjay at Ciamara in NYC, but I do not know where you live. He will let you demo either of these products.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
MadFloyd,

First let me say that I am envious of your system. I bet it sounds great and contains some of my favorite/wish products, especially the Alexia's. I have written widely about my experiences with Shunyata products on this forum and think I have a fairly good sense of the fundamental design philosophy behind the products. To date I have been more off a fan of their PC's and power distribution products than their signal products, although I am extremely impressed with an Anaconda digital S/PDIF cable I am evaluating against my MIT MA-X digital.

All I know is that some of the best sound I have heard to the point I dream about owning it was your speaker and wire combo in the Wilson Booth last spring at the NYC audio show. Having said the obvious, that the combination is wonderful, I do not know if something else would be better in your system

I have been a true believer in the benefit of the Shunyata Zitron PC systems. During the past year I have used all of their Zitron PC's in various capacities in my system and have upgraded from one to another in the same location on a number of occasions. I communicate fairly regularly with Caelin who has been very helpful with my understanding of what I am hearing and thinking. Bottom line, I am quite comfortable with my assessments on that front and I am a believer. Since I have a Spectral amp I am somewhat limited to MIT IC's with it because the Shunyata IC's do not work, nor sound well.

Currently I am a fan of Caelin's latest move to address elimination of particular types of noise using specialized application specific filters. Although I know that what I am currently using for PC's (Alpha Digital and Alpha HC's replacing Anaconda's and Python's) are the entry level reference products in this area, they are all that is available at this time, but still wonderful and every bit a match for what they replaced although very different. I am excited about what is coming down the pike in the fall using his latest thinking on this front.

If I were to offer you any suggestions it would be to explore the Shunyata power distribution products like the Triton and Typhon. They create a benefit that is hard to describe, although positive in every way without any negative, at least in my system. I would recommend reading the various posts on the following thread, including some of mine and I think that you will have a fairly good idea about what people think about these products and the incredible degree of consistency of findings.
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...w-the-Shunyata-Typhon-addition-for-the-Triton

My only advice is do not try either a Triton, which I would explore first, or a Typhon if you are not ready to purchase it. The difference is that big and positive. I love my Shunyata dealer, Sanjay at Ciamara in NYC, but I do not know where you live. He will let you demo either of these products.

Russ, thank you for your kind words here and also for your numerous and detailed posts on your Shunyata experiences. You, along with many other folks (including Steve obviously) have been responsible for me wanting to investigate Shunyata. I wanted to go straight for a Typhon but advice from Shunyata had me start with their power cords. They have made a significant difference in my system.

On Friday I placed an order for one Triton + Zitron Annaconda power cord and two Typhons. Like you would expect, the Triton plus one Typhon will power my front end. I am hoping that I can get away with one Typhon for my two monoblocks which are both on a dedicated 20amp circuit - the catch being that they are plugged into separate duplexes separated by some number of feet so I will have to see how it works. I've blown my budget for the foreseeable future so I'm praying that it will all prove a good (albeit somewhat blind) buy.

I've been impressed by what I'm reading about Shunyata and my experiences with the power cords and that has prompted me to wonder how their signal cables would compare to my Transparent (which I do like).

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Has anyone compared the upper levels of these two brands? If so, can you describe any differences?

Thanks in advance.

I had the top of the line Shunyata Signal cables (IC / SC) and the did a direct comparison with the incumbent Transparent Reference (the base level - not cheap but by no means top of the line Opus level). The Shunyatas were lightning fast, but I preferred the Transparent cables - more musical. I sold the Shunyatas. It probably comes down to system synergy. If your system is a bit lazy by nature, I can see the shunyatas breathing some life into it. For me it was transparency and speed overkill, detrimental to musicality.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Madfloyd, I've upgraded from Ref XL to Opus and Ref MM, I know it gets pricey ... but it gets a LOT better to ... I was SHOCKED at how much better Opus MM MM2 interconnect was over my previous Ref XL MM2 interconnect. And the Ref XL MM2 is a killer good cable...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Floyd

When you plug in your Hydras and turn on the system have your wife take a photo of your facial expression because I guaranty your jaw will hit the floor. Break your PCs in first.

Yup...mine did hit the floor. and I was coming from a very good Shunyata Hydra Vray 2....

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Madfloyd, I've upgraded from Ref XL to Opus and Ref MM, I know it gets pricey ... but it gets a LOT better to ... I was SHOCKED at how much better Opus MM MM2 interconnect was over my previous Ref XL MM2 interconnect. And the Ref XL MM2 is a killer good cable...

+100. I have upgraded from Ref (15 year old) to Ref XL (MM2) on SC...and then by happenstance was able to take my 15 year old TA Ref ICs and flip them both into 2nd hand RefMM (MM2) with proper calibration. And the uplift in performance between RefMM (MM2) was markedly greater than that of RefXL (MM2). I also trialed an Opus MM2 IC in my system for a few days, and that was enough that I am holding out for Opus MM2 on my SC (2nd hand) if I possibly can. Much as I would love to upgrade my 2nd hand RefMM (MM2) ICs to Opus, I do not expect it without being exceptionally lucky.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
On Friday I placed an order for one Triton + Zitron Annaconda power cord and two Typhons. Like you would expect, the Triton plus one Typhon will power my front end. I am hoping that I can get away with one Typhon for my two monoblocks which are both on a dedicated 20amp circuit

Smart move, nicely done! Shunyata power products are second to none. Their signal cables are as others said - lightning fast like MIT. Truly cannot stand Transparent; who's the "designer" again?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Truly cannot stand Transparent; who's the "designer" again?

I truly hope this thread isn't about to degenerate into a 10 or nearly 20 year old MIT vs Transparent thread...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I truly hope this thread isn't about to degenerate into a 10 or nearly 20 year old MIT vs Transparent thread...

+1!

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
On Friday I placed an order for one Triton + Zitron Annaconda power cord and two Typhons. Like you would expect, the Triton plus one Typhon will power my front end. I am hoping that I can get away with one Typhon for my two monoblocks which are both on a dedicated 20amp circuit - the catch being that they are plugged into separate duplexes separated by some number of feet so I will have to see how it works.

I have both of my amps, Pass Labs X600.5, on the same 20 amp circuit, and popped the breaker early this morning. Monday I am calling the electrician to have another circuit installed, one for each amp. Of course, this means I need another Cyclops, one for each amp circuit. No way can I buy two more Typhons, one for each amp circuit.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Floyd

When you plug in your Hydras and turn on the system have your wife take a photo of your facial expression because I guaranty your jaw will hit the floor. Break your PCs in first.

Ha ha, I'll have to tell her that, can't wait.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
jap

take a big breath and relax

I start new forums when I am asked by the manufacturers. Does that answer your question. I have no problem starting them but my past experience when I get requests like this is that the newly formed subforum lies empty. Perfect example was when I was asked by several people to start a new Mark Levinson (the man) subforum. I was promised that it would be kept active by Mark and it never was.

I see no point in having countless subfora here merely for the fodder of 1-2 members. I trust that I have made my point

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Peter

of course there is interest and it is being discussed daily here at WBF but just not in a dedicated forum. We have become replete with empty or near empty subfora because some people request that I establish one. I have done this with speaker manufacturers etc as per member requests but there has never been any contribution by the manufacturer. Do you honestly think Bruce Brisson or Karen Sumner are going to contribute anything here. Now lets look at Shunyata as jap has pointed out. Caelin is not only a member but a regular contributor here in his forum as well as commenting elsewhere throughout the board as does Grant Samuelson. Similarly do we also have allvinyl making regular comments about Stillpoints. Now let's take the requests I got from Dan D'Agostino that he wanted a forum here at WBF and agreed to participate. He never has nor has Mark Levinson who asked me to start a subforum and that he would contribute as well.

Long and the short of it, I am prepared to always help a manufacturer if they will contribute regularly to their subforum. Some do but most don't. Creating a subforum in the manufacturers forum is easy. The difficult part is getting the manufacturer to participate.

Any other comments

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing