Summit X revisited

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
A short historical background to my sudden interest in Martin Logan's. In another forum, a foreign friend who owns the mighty Q7 was surprised on how a Montis, which he was auditioning for use as surround speakers for his HT set up, actually fared very well when compared to the Q7 for stereo use. He even hinted that the Montis had the upper hand in the crucial midband. As a q3 owner, this got me curious and luckily, there was a Montis available for audition. Needless to say, I was so impressed, so much so that when I returned them, I actually missed them, specially it's alluring midrange. Fast forward and I'm currently auditioning a Summit X. First of all, I've got to correct some comments I've read stating that the newer Montis is the better speaker since it better integrates the esl with the bass drivers. IMO, this is false. The Montis seems to have more bass and may thus sound more impressive. But the dual bass drivers of the summit load the room more smoothly and evenly, creating a very seamless blend with the esl panels. And as for the crucial midrange, my friends positive impressions of the Montis vis-a-vis his Q7 was certified by my experience with the Summits. I have to conclude that great as the drivers and cabinet construction of the q3 and q7 are, simple physics dictates that it's hard to beat the midrange of a boxless panel unencumbered by crossover components, regardless of quality.

So the question i had to wrestle with, is the Summit x better than my Q3? In the midrange, it's an unequivocal yes. After you listen to vocals thru the SUMMITS or even the Montis, you will hear the q3's cabinets, despite the heroic efforts expended by not just Magico but by most modern box speaker makers to "eliminate" cabinet colorations. I can't comment on the Q7 or an XLF or a VR 9 in my room, but with the Summit and the Montis in my room, the performers are simply more present than with the Q3. In the bass, the Summits give the q3 a good run, and in fact, those two 10 inch servo powered woofers give the Summit more weight. Surprisingly, the q3 throws a deeper, wider, precisely layered and more holographic stage, something I didn't expect from forward firing cones pitted against dipoles. The q3's imaging was likewise more precise and pinpoint, but some may argue that such precise imaging doesn't occur in real life.

I'm sure there will be valid contradicting opinions from owners of Dynaudio, Wilson, Focal, TAD, Von Schweikert, Sonus Faber and many other cutting edge and truly excellent dynamic speakers currently available and I'm eager to hear their comments and opinions. I've had the pleasure to experience some of these speakers as part of very expensive systems but in my humble opinion, few beat or match the ML's midrange purity and accuracy, particularly with vocals, and that uncanny ability to place performers in the room. And while 15k is not chump change, considering the product offerings from 10k to 200k, the Summits strike me as a screaming bargain. I have to qualify though that my listening preference is for vocals, small scale jazz and classical. And having experienced the mighty VR 9 system of Jack D, I certainly am aware of the benefits of what a true full scale transducer brings to the listening experience specially with continued SPL levels above 90db with complex music.

The Summits are not the newest speakers sporting the latest cutting edge technology. Just compare it to the latest reissue of the SF Extrema with its liberal use of carbon fiber and God knows what other space age material used in its construction. And compared to my Q3, the Summit's hollow woofer cabinets and it's overall build integrity strikes me like Lego building blocks! But for my listening preferences, I find the Summit and the even cheaper Montis hard to beat regardless of cost.

bwraudio

Jan 24, 2011
Summit and Maggies, TRW Rotary

I agree with you on the midrange of the Summits. For bass I disconnect the woofers and
use Magneplanar Tympani IV woofer panels and below 25 hz a TRW rotary sub!
This combination gives one bass that is truly coherent, powerful, with depth and a huge
sound-stage that is stunning.
In my opinion no box loudspeaker can match the realism that this combo can achieve. IMG_1546.jpg

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Oh Myles...

Are you suggesting Myles wants to replace his with the S5?

I was just trying to be funny. Of course people have gone from stats to other speakers. Personally I have no desire to replace my Innersound Kaya's. They work for me.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I agree with you on the midrange of the Summits. For bass I disconnect the woofers and
This combination gives one bass that is truly coherent, powerful, with depth and a huge
In my opinion no box loudspeaker can match the realism that this combo can achieve. View attachment 15323

That's a interesting combo. Ultimately I would like to try Infinite Baffle subs one day. I've not heard one but I read good things about them.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Here's my opinion buddy :) For every guy there's a right gal :D

When people ask me what they should buy I always become very uncomfortable. I have what I believe is a very firm understanding of what I like and yet I've made mistakes on purchases for myself. I also think I'll make a few more in the future. I always tell people about Jadis. How in the 90's he had one of the baddest systems around and eventually went with a system that may not be as flexible but one that suited his tastes better. How he tweaked the heck out of it and how to this day I consider his system as one of the best at what it was put together to do. It also reminds me of talks I'd have with Ttommy who like me tries never to judge other's systems using our own preferences as criterion but rather within the context of the system owner's. I remember long ago when you and I both had 1.6QRs. Somehow I'm not surprised you find yourself heading back to planar land. To me, like SETs there are things these do that can be extremely addictive. At the stage I'm currently in, I need my dynamics. Times change and people change so I'm not ruling out a return to planars somewhere or sometime down the road. Right now however, as far as alternate systems go for a rest house, my eyes and ears have been straying towards vintage gear to go along with a mid-century modern themed place in Tagaytay Marge and I are planning. Maybe a Paragon rebuilt by Kenrick Sound in Japan fed with vintage Marantz' gear and a Garrard with some SPUs. Big on tone, Big on warmth.

At the end of the day, all that matters is what makes us happy right? All I can say is, I'm happy for you bud!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Are you suggesting Myles wants to replace his with the S5?

I was just trying to be funny. Of course people have gone from stats to other speakers. Personally I have no desire to replace my Innersound Kaya's. They work for me.

I'm not going to put words in Myles' mouth so hopefully he will chime in here. I just know that Myles is a longtime stat lover and he has the S5 in for review.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
In my opinion no box loudspeaker can match the realism that this combo can achieve.

ive always wanted try tympani bass panels with full-range 'stats. looks like you joined the hinge point with rigid strips to from one panel. are you actively biamped and describe your set-up.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
@dafos: Interesting comments. I, for one, find it very hard to part with my modified Logans every time I go out shopping. In fact, I have come to the conclusion the Q3 is flawed in execution in a couple of ways: no dedicated chambers for the midrange and each of the woofers, and that downward tilted lower-bass driver causing floor reflections. Contrast this to my Logans' upward tilted front woofer, though the rear is the exact opposite, and dedicated chambers. That downward tilted woofer was allegedly designed that way (and also in the Q5) to address standing waves in the cabinet or something like that. The two speakers offer very different presentations, but both are interesting to listen to for hours on end, and the timbre is virtually the same from the upper bass on up (the reason, overall, I love Magicos, saved for that V2 thing). These modified Logans scale really well too, up to a point.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
In my opinion no box loudspeaker can match the realism that this combo can achieve. View attachment 15323

Wow...now that is quite a big combination there. Panels plus enormous bass panels but ENORMOUS rotary sub. Tell us more...how hard is it to integrate all this? Most intrigued.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

When people ask me what they should buy I always become very uncomfortable... I remember long ago when you and I both had 1.6QRs. Somehow I'm not surprised you find yourself heading back to planar land. To me, like SETs there are things these do that can be extremely addictive. At the stage I'm currently in, I need my dynamics...

I think sometimes (like the old Infinity IRS Vs, Apogee Stages, Quad 2905s), good design is just good design. And it outpaces excellent execution of designs that may not be quite as advanced as these panels. I would not be surprised if I heard an Apogee Stage properly driven and setup to enjoy it tremendously and much more than many more expensive mid-sized and heroically built cone/cabinet speakers of today.

In fact, I nearly bought Apogees 2nd hand years ago and just could not swing it at the time. They were and are tremendous speakers imho. That said, I also know my own listening tendencies, and when I want slam, I really want slam. Quiet slam, loud slam, earthquake slam,...I don't do the latter two often...but at this level, when I want it, I expect to have it given my music collection.

And that I have found difficult to get in panels which otherwise can be pure magic.

That is why I am fascinated by the idea of the Summits plus Magnaplanar sub panels plus a rotary sub...could it be the best of all worlds? hence my question about integration.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
A short historical background to my sudden interest in Martin Logan's. In another forum, a foreign friend who owns the mighty Q7 was surprised on how a Montis, which he was auditioning for use as surround speakers for his HT set up, actually fared very well when compared to the Q7 for stereo use. He even hinted that the Montis had the upper hand in the crucial midband. As a q3 owner, this got me curious and luckily, there was a Montis available for audition. Needless to say, I was so impressed, so much so that when I returned them, I actually missed them, specially it's alluring midrange. Fast forward and I'm currently auditioning a Summit X. First of all, I've got to correct some comments I've read stating that the newer Montis is the better speaker since it better integrates the esl with the bass drivers. IMO, this is false. The Montis seems to have more bass and may thus sound more impressive. But the dual bass drivers of the summit load the room more smoothly and evenly, creating a very seamless blend with the esl panels. And as for the crucial midrange, my friends positive impressions of the Montis vis-a-vis his Q7 was certified by my experience with the Summits. I have to conclude that great as the drivers and cabinet construction of the q3 and q7 are, simple physics dictates that it's hard to beat the midrange of a boxless panel unencumbered by crossover components, regardless of quality.

So the question i had to wrestle with, is the Summit x better than my Q3? In the midrange, it's an unequivocal yes. After you listen to vocals thru the SUMMITS or even the Montis, you will hear the q3's cabinets, despite the heroic efforts expended by not just Magico but by most modern box speaker makers to "eliminate" cabinet colorations. I can't comment on the Q7 or an XLF or a VR 9 in my room, but with the Summit and the Montis in my room, the performers are simply more present than with the Q3. In the bass, the Summits give the q3 a good run, and in fact, those two 10 inch servo powered woofers give the Summit more weight. Surprisingly, the q3 throws a deeper, wider, precisely layered and more holographic stage, something I didn't expect from forward firing cones pitted against dipoles. The q3's imaging was likewise more precise and pinpoint, but some may argue that such precise imaging doesn't occur in real life.

I'm sure there will be valid contradicting opinions from owners of Dynaudio, Wilson, Focal, TAD, Von Schweikert, Sonus Faber and many other cutting edge and truly excellent dynamic speakers currently available and I'm eager to hear their comments and opinions. I've had the pleasure to experience some of these speakers as part of very expensive systems but in my humble opinion, few beat or match the ML's midrange purity and accuracy, particularly with vocals, and that uncanny ability to place performers in the room. And while 15k is not chump change, considering the product offerings from 10k to 200k, the Summits strike me as a screaming bargain. I have to qualify though that my listening preference is for vocals, small scale jazz and classical. And having experienced the mighty VR 9 system of Jack D, I certainly am aware of the benefits of what a true full scale transducer brings to the listening experience specially with continued SPL levels above 90db with complex music.

The Summits are not the newest speakers sporting the latest cutting edge technology. Just compare it to the latest reissue of the SF Extrema with its liberal use of carbon fiber and God knows what other space age material used in its construction. And compared to my Q3, the Summit's hollow woofer cabinets and it's overall build integrity strikes me like Lego building blocks! But for my listening preferences, I find the Summit and the even cheaper Montis hard to beat regardless of cost.

Excellent report, Jerry. And thanks for inviting me to listen to the Summits yesterday. I knew that when you told me that I have to hear these speakers, deep inside I knew it's because you know what my listening bias is. :) And you're right, I was enamored by the vocal rendition of the SummitX. Long time ago, some older hobbyist friends of mine would describe the electrostat sound as 'translucent'. I had a hard time understanding that because it is a paradox of some sorts, it's like the singer is there but yet not there because the voice is almost heavenly and soulful. It's a bit different from cone speakers which is there, and so there that you can touch, in a matter of speaking to describe its realism. Well, in my own words, I can only think of one word to describe the sound of what I heard, specially of vocals (Doris Day's Latin for Lovers LP and Brothers Four Sings Lennon McCartney) - MUSICAL. And while we both agree that on the Nimbus Pressing of Mountain Dance, Jack's VR9sII can give it all the sock and punch that it can take (and Jack's brother Jim's VR11sII sock it even more), those whose genre is in the vocals, small group jazz and medium to light classical can have almost infinite satisfaction with these Summits. I had been thinking of what pure dynamic/cone speakers to buy someday, but you just brought me back on detour to some distant cousins of my Maggies. :D

Last edited:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

When people ask me what they should buy I always become very uncomfortable. I have what I believe is a very firm understanding of what I like and yet I've made mistakes on purchases for myself. I also think I'll make a few more in the future. I always tell people about Jadis. How in the 90's he had one of the baddest systems around and eventually went with a system that may not be as flexible but one that suited his tastes better. How he tweaked the heck out of it and how to this day I consider his system as one of the best at what it was put together to do.

Thanks for the kind words, Jack. And the last line indeed I couldn't say it better myself. I started out with good value for money audio gears in the mid 80s (Sumo, Counterpoint, Spica, Celestion) and sorta splurged with the toys for the big boys in the 90s (Jadis JA200and JPL, B&W800) and while listening to what I've assembled, I thought that my music genre didn't really need huge bombastic speakers that sometimes overload my room. I was frequenting HK a lot during that time and I was introduced to such lovely voices as Mary Black and other Celtic folk singers and I decided to try something that will suit this need of mine. In came the Maggies, and the 'baddies' were quickly displaced and forgotten. :D And exactly right, the system was put together to do what it should do. My belief was to put 2 'end' transducers - the phono cartridge and the loudspeakers, to suit my musical taste (Koetsu & Magnepan) and what I found out was I stopped turning my head at other audio gears for the next 15 years or so. There may be some itch here and there in present days, and awakening from the slumber, I find out audio gears are now easily in the 7-figure level (local currency), and cables and power conditioners are in the low 6 figures. :D

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I'm sure there will be valid contradicting opinions from owners of Dynaudio, Wilson, Focal, TAD, Von Schweikert, Sonus Faber and many other cutting edge and truly excellent dynamic speakers currently available and I'm eager to hear their comments and opinions. I've had the pleasure to experience some of these speakers as part of very expensive systems but in my humble opinion, few beat or match the ML's midrange purity and accuracy, particularly with vocals, and that uncanny ability to place performers in the room. (...) .

I fully understand you. The best rendition I ever had of the famous Cantanta Domino was through Martin Logan Monolith III. Not the best bass or treble in the world, but the purity and detail of the voices, associated to an holography where you feel each individual singer of a large choir in front of you was impressive. If I did not have SoundLabs I would surely have MarinLogan's. What amplifier are you using on the Summit's?

BTW, IMHO you have not heard ML's until you have them with a Descent I properly tuned. It does not add more bass with most recordings, but adds an incredible scale and even more the sense that there are no speakers in the room.

dafos

Sep 17, 2010

When people ask me what they should buy I always become very uncomfortable. I have what I believe is a very firm understanding of what I like and yet I've made mistakes on purchases for myself. I also think I'll make a few more in the future. I always tell people about Jadis. How in the 90's he had one of the baddest systems around and eventually went with a system that may not be as flexible but one that suited his tastes better. How he tweaked the heck out of it and how to this day I consider his system as one of the best at what it was put together to do. It also reminds me of talks I'd have with Ttommy who like me tries never to judge other's systems using our own preferences as criterion but rather within the context of the system owner's. I remember long ago when you and I both had 1.6QRs. Somehow I'm not surprised you find yourself heading back to planar land. To me, like SETs there are things these do that can be extremely addictive. At the stage I'm currently in, I need my dynamics. Times change and people change so I'm not ruling out a return to planars somewhere or sometime down the road. Right now however, as far as alternate systems go for a rest house, my eyes and ears have been straying towards vintage gear to go along with a mid-century modern themed place in Tagaytay Marge and I are planning. Maybe a Paragon rebuilt by Kenrick Sound in Japan fed with vintage Marantz' gear and a Garrard with some SPUs. Big on tone, Big on warmth.

At the end of the day, all that matters is what makes us happy right? All I can say is, I'm happy for you bud!

I have to admit Jack since the day I heard your system with the fully broken in 9's, there were two things that struck me. Eliminating your systems dynamic capability which is second to none, it was its way with vocals that enticed me. Up to that point , I had assumed that some reference recordings I knew were bright and edgy. To my utter disbelief, despite the very loud levels you prefer, the "irritants" were very well controlled, not absent, but certainly acceptable. And all this without any masking or obscuring of fine detail. Now that "Sepang" has a new owner, I can now tell you that I took it as a challenge replicate what you had achieved ( without of course accepting your very tempting offer) on a somewhat limited scale. No success till the Summits, which is the reason behind this glowing update on the Summits. In short, I now find a piece of that audio glory I heard in your lair in my cave.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I think I would enjoy hanging at Jack's house. It appears that Jack likes to listen at realistic levels like I do.

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
I don't know how many times I've called out to Jack to lower what I perceived was too loud a level, to no avail since he simply couldn't hear me. Amazing cuz after several hours, I realized that absolutely no listener fatigue had set in.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
@dafos: Interesting comments. I, for one, find it very hard to part with my modified Logans every time I go out shopping. In fact, I have come to the conclusion the Q3 is flawed in execution in a couple of ways: no dedicated chambers for the midrange and each of the woofers, and that downward tilted lower-bass driver causing floor reflections. Contrast this to my Logans' upward tilted front woofer, though the rear is the exact opposite, and dedicated chambers. That downward tilted woofer was allegedly designed that way (and also in the Q5) to address standing waves in the cabinet or something like that. The two speakers offer very different presentations, but both are interesting to listen to for hours on end, and the timbre is virtually the same from the upper bass on up (the reason, overall, I love Magicos, saved for that V2 thing). These modified Logans scale really well too, up to a point.

A friend of mine has the Q3.
I am sure, the Q3 has a dedicated midrange enclosure.... and the third woofer is not tilted (which is the Q5). Having 3 woofers, effectively reduces the bounce up quite a bit, since they are now "spread" the frq rebound matures, but the whole concept of floor bounce is misleading to begin with. Remember, music is a variable tone, you will have to generate the same tone long enough to be able to hit the floor and bounce to have any effect. It happens, but it is quite marginal. I told my friend Dafos post, first thing he commented on was the Q3 tension rods and the critical issue that they are tight (Regular maintenance?). It makes a big difference. Dafos, you may want to try that...

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
I have no issues with the bass of the q3, tight, punchy and digs to below 30hz from a relatively small cabinet and a sealed one at that. And while, the Summit may have more apparent bass weight, it cannot match the speed, articulation and tautness of the q3's bass response. Regarding the tension rods, unless I know the exact tightening torque, I don't think I'd like to fiddle with these. I'm also confused with Magico's claim that the S5 was voiced to have more bass slam than the q3. In two settings that I've heard the S5 (not in my place), my Q3 exhibited more bass depth and extension.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing