Studer a807 won't play

fedor

Apr 23, 2014
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and the world of reel to reel recorders (although I have always wanted to buy one before but could not afford one) and I need your help.

I just purchased a Studer a807 that I was assured it was aligned and fully tested. This is my problem: with the tape loaded and not slacking, I cannot get neither reel to move. All that happens is: I turn it on, the stop button flashes for a few seconds, and then its LED turns off. From that point onwards, no matter which transport button I press, all I get is the tape moving forward just 1 inch or so. The only exception is when I'm on Tape Dump mode, where the tape moves normally and I can even rewind a bit to spool it back into the right reel.

Am I missing something really basic here? The manual doesn't seem to help much at this point.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

fedor

Apr 23, 2014
Hi Bruce, thanks so much for replying... I'm a total newbie with R2R, so bear with me. I believe the tension of the tape is fine. I can manually rotate the take-up reel anti-clockwise and get the tape to move through the transport. if I do the same from the other reel, the same thing happens. So I believe the tape is not slack. Is that what you meant? Thanks again!

Tapetech

Apr 10, 2014
Fairfax, VA
With no tape loaded, put a piece of opaque paper in the light gate (left of headblock), tape the left tension arm in the up position and then hit "play". Tell us what the reel hubs and pinch roller do. Does the pinch roller engage firmly to the capstan and do both reel hubs spin freely?

Another possible defect: There is a motion sensor on the back of the take-up motor. If the sensor circuit board has no output when the motor spins, then that could cause your defect (plays fine in dump mode, but only plays briefly in regular play). Sensor spacing could be too much from the motor or it's PCB has no output. Check those things.

Last edited:

HDVS

May 20, 2014
Italy
Sometimes the tacho rings on the spooling motors get misplaced after a turbulent shipment... I suggest to check if they are in place. There are three clips to retain them in the holes on the back side of the rotor.

Curt Palme

Jan 25, 2012
Where are you located? If there's an actual problem in the machine, I can work on it if you're near Vancouver, or I can recommend a tech in the LA area if that's closer for you.

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
I'll second Lower Mainland area.
I finally found a fairly local Studer/Revox r2r tech, he's retired and isn't exactly 'chomping at the bit'
For work, but, much like my Leica guy, he knows these particular machines back to front, has all of the service manuals and tools and got mine back in tip top form f

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing