Not much love for non-mac side?

Windows X

Feb 28, 2011
www.fidelizer-audio.com
Whenever I see computer based highend system, they're all using Mac Mini/iMac/Macbook if not commercial stuff from Aurender/Weiss. I know only a guy or two who put an effort to build good Windows platform here but haven't seen one doing Linux stuff yet. Are things over your place similiar to mine there?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm Mac and Aurender myself. Mac bacause I've been a Mac user since the time MacBooks were called Power Books and they were black. I do know many people in my neck of the woods that are Windows based. Quite a few actually, I just might call it 50/50. Jriver appears to be the player of choice for them.

prerich

May 21, 2012
Whenever I see computer based highend system, they're all using Mac Mini/iMac/Macbook if not commercial stuff from Aurender/Weiss. I know only a guy or two who put an effort to build good Windows platform here but haven't seen one doing Linux stuff yet. Are things over your place similiar to mine there?
I'm a Windows user myself, and yes JRiver is the media player of choice on this side. I've seen only one or 2 Linux music servers myself. All of the rest I've seen are either Mac or Windows.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
All my workstations are Win 7 based. I do have a MacBook running Audirvana+, but everything else is Pyramix, Sonoma and HQ Player. Haven't tried JRiver but did use JPlay for a month or two.

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Windows running FooBar here. I have never tried using Old Man River.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
There's not much love on the non-Mac side. Love, passion, brand loyalty, fanboyism...that's Mac. Windows? More like an old marriage that hasn't exactly gone bad it has just become tedious, loveless, an exercise in quiet, desperate utility.

Tim

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I've seen and heard great things from Win based servers. One observation however is that these came as a result of a very high level of user knowledge and involvement. It's a hobby within a hobby at this point.

Davkj

Nov 4, 2012
PA
I use a CAPS v3.0 Zuma machine, running Windows 8.1 and Jriver Media Center. It operates like an appliance. I push a button to start it at the beginning of a listening session and press it again to shut it off when done. All interaction with the machine is via. an Android tablet running Jriver's Gizmo app. All music files are stored on a server in the basement. Silent, great sounding and problem free.

Hew

Mar 21, 2014
On my end, I know of no one using a Mac or Linux server. It's all Windows-based and recently everyone has been upgrading to Windows Server 2012 with Highend AudioPC/JPlay/Jriver. Hearing Audiophils revolutionary work has upended the apple cart for many of us.

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com
There's not much love on the non-Mac side. Love, passion, brand loyalty, fanboyism...that's Mac. Windows? More like an old marriage that hasn't exactly gone bad it has just become tedious, loveless, an exercise in quiet, desperate utility.

I'm wondering if you are married. If so, is it like your Mac or Windows category? Your post seems very negative.

---
The WIMP interface seems very old hat now. I don't see that it would feel different on a Mac as opposed to a Windows PC. However, I marvel at the sheer utility of a modern desktop or laptop computer.

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
I use Windows 8.1 and JRiver v19. Very easy to set up and use. I control the server with an IPad using JRemote. I would say it's on PAR if not better with your expensive dedicated appliances.

Windows X

Feb 28, 2011
www.fidelizer-audio.com
WoW. Just WoWWW. I didn't expect to see something like 80% of posts about using Windows. That's quite a shocking revelation. Anyone trying Fidelizer by the way?

Last edited:

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Tuned Zuma with a dual rail Core Audio Kaia LPS powering my Zuma and JCAT USB card WITHOUT FILTER with Server 2012 R2 with AudioPhil 1.25 in Core Mode is amazing. I almost made the fatal mistake of not trying all options on my JCAT USB card. Removing the power filter made all the difference and was the turning point over the SOTM.

ALSO LightHarmonics Lightspeed.

I have all the Mac players still get them upgraded on my mini when released to compare BUT for me there is no going back.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I use a CAPS v3.0 Zuma machine, running Windows 8.1 and Jriver Media Center....................... All music files are stored on a server in the basement. Silent, great sounding and problem free.

Same here except I leave it on 24/7 and, although I have an iPad, I prefer a bigger screen with mouse which remain at a predictable location. All music files are stored on a server in another room.
Additionally, I use DiracLive for multichannel roomEQ

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I use Highend-Audio PC on a Windows 2012 server. I may be imagining things, but it sounds fantastic. Running with Jriver on a CAPS Zuma with a Red Wine Audio battery power supply.

http://www.highend-audiopc.com/

Same here. I went with dual Teddy Pardo LPSUs instead of RWA though.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Same here. I went with dual Teddy Pardo LPSUs instead of RWA though.

Teddy Pardo's is great stuff. I went a little overboard on my LPS and went with a Core Audio Technologies Kaia, dual rail, 12v/5v combination and it is stunning. It can run into some big bucks, but for computer audio I went with his S3 cables instead of the absurdly priced S5 or the very "reasonably priced" basic S1 cable. So I can't compare the S1 v S2 compared to the S3 I got, but the system sounds fantastic. I am always amazed at how much power makes a difference.

On a different note, I was just about ready to sell my JCAT USB card as with the Kaia I felt the SOTM outperformed the JCAT. Marcin recommends using filtering if supplying power. Well, once I removed the filter, it was a totally different picture and I am not sure if you have tried it yet and if the Trinity requires power or not, but if it does and you are using a high quality LPS which Pardo is, I highly recommend removing the filter. Difference between ok and great.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
That is what I heard. I have only tried the Jcat card with a generic linear PSU I had on hand. As you know, the SOtM PSU does not fit as it is 9VDC. Right now I'm sending my redundant 6V PSU back to Teddy to Israel, to have it converted to 5V.

You are the second person to tell me to disable the filtering on Jcat card when using external ultra low nosie LPSU. Not sure it will have any effect on the Trinity DAC though - it is rather unsensitive to USB quality (probably due to the excellent isolation of the USB input module inside the DAC).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing