Current Contenders for BEST 1 Box CD Player? MUST make old CDs sound like MUSIC!!!!

caesar

May 30, 2010
What are the contenders for the best 1 box CD player today? Something that can give you 90% of the cost no object stuff.

Must Haves
1. Be able to turn those old CD's from the 1980s I listened to in college from pathetic to musically engaging.
2. Musical naturalness and acute precision; Individual musical parts must not stand out and get in the way of conveying the musical whole

Nice to have: plays SACD, DVD audio

Thread nice to have: As you list your contenders, please let us know what you compared it with, in what system, and with what music

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
EERA Autographe and EERA Tentation. The Tentation is a bit more forgiving but no it's not a very good turd polisher. :(

These will cover number 2 IMO, number one? Well, let me know if you find one Caesar. I have a lot of old CDs from the 80s that just plain suck.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Based on your criteria for a 1 box cd player capable of making old 80's cd's sound musically engaging & natural sounding player which is accurate and resolving, I vote for the Vitus SCD-025 which will likely be my next player. It doesn't play sacd's, however not withstanding that limitation I would take that player over say, an Accuphase DP-720. There are plenty of high resolution rbcd formats such as XRCD24, DXD, Platinum SHM-CD etc. You don't really need sacd as the secret of a great sounding cd has more to do with the original recording and mastering. Have a listen to Martin's cd and you'll see what I mean. Just my 2 cents.

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Among the single-box CD players I had the chance to audition, my highest recommendation would go to the Spectral 4000. I listened to it with Spectral systems only, both with Wilson and Magico speakers, and it does really good.
When I heard it for the first time, we did a real time comparison with the dCS Scarlatti (which was premiered during that demo) and, IMHO, with CD only the Spectral did a tad better.
Another nice contender could be the Meridian 808. I listened to the 818 Audio Core (which doesn't have the CD drive) but should be 100% identical with regards to the DAC section, together with VTL reference amplification and Wilson Alexia speakers. Needless to say it did great and it can also work with a computer or a streamer.

Other players, that are big in Italy but less spoken here, could be the ones from Esoteric. They would provide the flexibility of playing SACD and DVD-A too. I listened too them many many times, when I lived in Italy, with various amplifications (Jeff Rowland, Convergent, McIntosh...).

I also listened to some Metronome gear, in a system with VTL and Thiel, which performed outstanding.

All in all, I think there's lots of available choice and, probably, not dramatic differences in performance among top-notch players. It's difficult to go wrong.

What are the contenders for the best 1 box CD player today? Something that can give you 90% of the cost no object stuff.

Must Haves
1. Be able to turn those old CD's from the 1980s I listened to in college from pathetic to musically engaging.
2. Musical naturalness and acute precision; Individual musical parts must not stand out and get in the way of conveying the musical whole

Nice to have: plays SACD, DVD audio

Thread nice to have: As you list your contenders, please let us know what you compared it with, in what system, and with what music

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I am down to 50 CDs.
The problem with proper equipment is that "The Truth Hurts"
I buy, and then I give them away.
Over & over.

zz.

Any hints on what gear makes up your system?

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
Always liked the Ayre's, very musical. Heard the Esoteric recently and it sounded mighty fine too.

Occam

[Industry Expert]
Dec 15, 2010
NYC
I'd suggest an EAR Acute III, which allows a degree of sonic customization through the choice of ECC88/PC88 tubes.
I can use any of my E188CC tubes (milspec E88CC) all of Phillips manufacture, but from different plants to get any degree of warmth and/or resolution I choose.
I can use E188CCs from (in 'warmth' order) -
Mullard -Mitchum plant
Amperex - Heerlen plant
RTC/Mazda - Surenes plant
Siemans - Munich plant
CBS spec Seimens - PCC88, Munich plant, the cleanest tube I've ever heard

FWIW,
Paul

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I'd suggest an EAR Acute III, which allows a degree of sonic customization through the choice of ECC88/PC88 tubes.
I can use any of my E188CC tubes (milspec E88CC) all of Phillips manufacture, but from different plants to get any degree of warmth and/or resolution I choose.
I can use E188CCs from (in 'warmth' order) -
Mullard -Mitchum plant
Amperex - Heerlen plant
RTC/Mazda - Surenes plant
Siemans - Munich plant
CBS spec Seimens - PCC88, Munich plant, the cleanest tube I've ever heard

FWIW,
Paul

Look, I think Caesar is asking for the impossible, but even if he wasn't, how are you going to get "acute precision" by swapping tube colorations until you find something you like?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Among the single-box CD players I had the chance to audition, my highest recommendation would go to the Spectral 4000. I listened to it with Spectral systems only, both with Wilson and Magico speakers, and it does really good.
When I heard it for the first time, we did a real time comparison with the dCS Scarlatti (which was premiered during that demo) and, IMHO, with CD only the Spectral did a tad better.
Another nice contender could be the Meridian 808. I listened to the 818 Audio Core (which doesn't have the CD drive) but should be 100% identical with regards to the DAC section, together with VTL reference amplification and Wilson Alexia speakers. Needless to say it did great and it can also work with a computer or a streamer.

Other players, that are big in Italy but less spoken here, could be the ones from Esoteric. They would provide the flexibility of playing SACD and DVD-A too. I listened too them many many times, when I lived in Italy, with various amplifications (Jeff Rowland, Convergent, McIntosh...).

I also listened to some Metronome gear, in a system with VTL and Thiel, which performed outstanding.

All in all, I think there's lots of available choice and, probably, not dramatic differences in performance among top-notch players. It's difficult to go wrong.
As 1 box players go, I think the 808 is an excellent choice...I have heard Mark 2. It was not my fav on rock/hip hop but it was very good indeed. I think Audio Aero La Source is exceptionally good...sorta like Zanden...but extremely expensive for what it is. I far preferred my Zanden to it in shootout...but I was pretty impressed with it on an absolute basis (other than its price). If you can find one at a good discount, it is imho an excellent 1-box player.

Occam

[Industry Expert]
Dec 15, 2010
NYC
Look, I think Caesar is asking for the impossible, but even if he wasn't, how are you going to get "acute precision" by swapping tube colorations until you find something you like?

The same way one gets "acute precision" by swapping cables and cords. I think you're confusing "acute precision" with accuracy... If I put a IC in with a emphasized upper midrange and threadbare lower midrange, its going to be perceived as "acutely precise". Anytime you have a system with the 'proper' midrange density, it is going to be judged less resolving than an a system with a less dense midrange, all other things being equal (which they never are).
This is exactly what I heard at a rehearsal of the Pastoral at Carnegie Hall with Sir Simon Brattle conducting. The violins alone were "acutely precise", but as soon as the violas and cellos joined in, that precision/resolution diminished. When the rest of the orchestra joined in, more so....

Besides, a CBS specified Siemens tube (these were specified for CBS's internal use, not for public use) are about as 'acutely precise' as one can get, certainly far less 'tube like' than an OPA2107 dual opamp chip.

FWIW,
Paul

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Paul-I don't agree on several levels. Precision and accuracy are interchangeable words so I'm hardly "confusing" one for the other. If you substitute an IC with an emphasized upper midrange and threadbare lower midrange, it's not going to be perceived as "acutely precise." It's going to be perceived as an IC with an emphasized upper midrange and a threadbare lower midrange.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ

Problem with this is you by definition lose something on the good recordings.

That said, the Tentation is the best. I've heard.

Jack, word on the new EERA?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I had a great time with the Audio Research CD8 and later with the CD9. If it was not for the Metronome's dual box I would still own the CD9.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Out of the box it's already better than the Tentation particularly in the top end. It's more extended. It's slightly denser than the T and also slightly more energetic in punch and rhythm. Wonderfully tight and deep. As such I've been yanking CDs with funky and trippy bass lines. R&B, Dance, Blues, Jazz. I don't know how many hours Didier put on it before shipping it out though. I have a feeling this unit was already burned in since I detect very little difference 80 hours in. I still need to do more listening with a wider selection of music. So far it has sailed through everything from Blank and Jones with all those beach atmospherics and pesky seagulls, LOL, to the Jazz cuts I'd selected. Very, very low fatigue factor. I haven't taken out any classical or those nasty 80's New Wave CDs yet but will today. I haven't tried the input yet. My only way of connecting my Mac to it would be my Halide Bridge which I seem to have misplaced.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Any hints on what gear makes up your system?

Once my allergies calm down, I will have BruceB over for a blind listening. Then he can comment on the sound.

Once I start listing equipment, blind listening is no longer "blind".

Another point: he will be listening to one combination. There are too many pieces to swap in & out.

zz.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Out of the box it's already better than the Tentation particularly in the top end. It's more extended. It's slightly denser than the T and also slightly more energetic in punch and rhythm. Wonderfully tight and deep. As such I've been yanking CDs with funky and trippy bass lines. R&B, Dance, Blues, Jazz. I don't know how many hours Didier put on it before shipping it out though. I have a feeling this unit was already burned in since I detect very little difference 80 hours in. I still need to do more listening with a wider selection of music. So far it has sailed through everything from Blank and Jones with all those beach atmospherics and pesky seagulls, LOL, to the Jazz cuts I'd selected. Very, very low fatigue factor. I haven't taken out any classical or those nasty 80's New Wave CDs yet but will today. I haven't tried the input yet. My only way of connecting my Mac to it would be my Halide Bridge which I seem to have misplaced.

Thanks for the report Jack. Sounds unsurprisingly awesome. If there was an improvement I'd seek with the T, it was a slightly more open top end, so good to hear. If you find your Halide, please report.

Occam

[Industry Expert]
Dec 15, 2010
NYC
Paul-I don't agree on several levels. Precision and accuracy are interchangeable words so I'm hardly "confusing" one for the other. If you substitute an IC with an emphasized upper midrange and threadbare lower midrange, it's not going to be perceived as "acutely precise." It's going to be perceived as an IC with an emphasized upper midrange and a threadbare lower midrange.

Unfortunately, we use such words as precision and accuracy to describe both objective measures and subjective perceptions. Ceasar requested -
Must Haves

My assumption was that those must haves would be judged subjectively, and I see no problem a tube output stage CD player satisfying those requirements, colorations and all.

arthurs

Sep 12, 2010
Denton, TX
Based on your criteria for a 1 box cd player capable of making old 80's cd's sound musically engaging & natural sounding player which is accurate and resolving, I vote for the Vitus SCD-025 which will likely be my next player. It doesn't play sacd's, however not withstanding that limitation I would take that player over say, an Accuphase DP-720. There are plenty of high resolution rbcd formats such as XRCD24, DXD, Platinum SHM-CD etc. You don't really need sacd as the secret of a great sounding cd has more to do with the original recording and mastering. Have a listen to Martin's cd and you'll see what I mean. Just my 2 cents.

I have a Vitus SCD-010 and agree it is a terrific player, very natural sounding. Eventually gave way to EMM DAC-2X but for spinning a disc, it fits your description of what you want from it musically.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing