Bergmann Sleipner System + VDH Colibri

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
The VDH Colbiri just arrived a couple of nights ago with the Bergmann Sleipner System but I feel a little bright. Already asked my dealer to lower the VTA. Improved but still...

Can I expect the brightness to go away as the cart breaks in ?

I worry that the cart is less than perfect. Any cause for concern ?

audioline

Mar 24, 2013
Denmark
Big congrats with your fantastic new analoge frontend. I am sure that some of the brightness Will dissapear When the Cart is broken in. Good luck :)

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Thanks. I realized that analog is not so easy. Still learning. Looking for the sound I want -

1st priority Sweet on female vocal
2nd priority good soundstage
3rd some bass is nice

jpetek

Feb 12, 2013
A Colibri need about 100 h to break in. It is very sensitve of VTA. Looks to me that your Colibri is too high. Do you have a Cooper or Gold or Platin?

Josef

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Thanks. I realized that analog is not so easy. Still learning. Looking for the sound I want -

1st priority Sweet on female vocal
2nd priority good soundstage
3rd some bass is nice

Koetsu stone body carts do that in spades. Your colibri is a tough cart to tame.

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
I think I have a Gold wired plastic bodied Colibri

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
MikeL has extensive experience with the Colibri cartridges and maybe he will chime in hear and give you some advice based on his experience.

thekong

May 10, 2012
Other than the VTA, the Colibri is very sensitive to VTF. My platinum coil one could get from bright to dull within a range of 0.05g. I haven't been using my Colibri for a while, but if I remember correctly, I settled on 1.42g VTF.

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Oh man, my dealer dropped by today & swapped the Colibri for a Benz LPS. I am over the moon ! Happy happy happy.

joeling

Jan 8, 2014

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Johnny Bergman can sure make a beautiful turntable! As a former owner of (2) Eminent Technology tonearms, I can appreciate linear arms. How is the sound- detail, soundstage width and depth, black quietness?

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Compared to the Colibri, slightly less dynamic but no more brightness & sound is wide open & sounds amazing.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Joeling, how do all these carts compare to your Straingauge? If you feel the SG is lacking, you owe it to y'self to replace the cheap'n'nasty 24V wall warts with a Red Wine Audio Black Lightning twin battery psu. It totally transforms the SG's performance. I'm running the SG w/the batt psu on an air bearing linear tracking arm/direct rim drive tt, and it's absolutely sublime, more importantly a quantum leap in performance beyond that w/the stock psu.
If interested, email Vinnie Rossie at Red Wine and do mention my recommendation, he was so helpful in sorting out a final trouble free experience that has transformed my appreciation of analog.

Vermin

Nov 4, 2014
Norway
As the Colbri is mentioned in the headline here i´ll slip in a question about it if its ok?

I own a Colibri XGP, and i have had it for about a year now. Switches between SME IV and a Triplanar and compares to my Grasshopper GLA.
How much positive VTA do you guys prefer with this cartridge? In my old Kuzma it was about 3mm, in my SME its 2mm and on the Triplanar i sometimes reach 5-6mm before i reach the "golden-spot".

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing