Cartridge for VPI HRX

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
I am about to take delivery of an additonal arm for my HRX. This is the 3D printed tone arm that will become my second arm.

Looking for a cartridge recommendation to suit this table.

Budget around USD5-10k.

Looking for jack of all trades but emphasis on sweet vocal reproduction.

Phono is most likely an ARC ref2 SE

Any suggestions ?

The Colbiri just arrived last night for the new Bergmann table but I feel a little bright.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Dynavector XV-1s.

Suits your requirements to a t and have great synergy with VPI arms.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
May I ask what platter you've chosen?

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Hi JackD201,

I am unsure what u mean on the platter. I bought mine a couple of years ago & was not aware that there are different choices for platter.

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Bruce B & XV-1, thanks for the suggestions. I will look into it.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi JackD201,

I am unsure what u mean on the platter. I bought mine a couple of years ago & was not aware that there are different choices for platter.

VPI has more platters than Imelda Marcos has shoes.

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Ok in the end I bought a Lyra Atlas & a Koetsu Azule to try out. I am thinking of installing the Lyra on the spare arm while the koetsu will go to another table.

Regards,
Joe Ling

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Ok in the end I bought a Lyra Atlas & a Koetsu Azule to try out. I am thinking of installing the Lyra on the spare arm while the koetsu will go to another table.

Regards,
Joe Ling

I think you'll like them both.

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Myles,

Thanks for that. Seems that I am now in deep with this vinyl phase. I make it a point to listen to my digital front end before listening to vinyl or else it becomes a huge let down.

Regards,
Joe Ling

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Myles,

Thanks for that. Seems that I am now in deep with this vinyl phase. I make it a point to listen to my digital front end before listening to vinyl or else it becomes a huge let down.

Regards,
Joe Ling

That's funny. The dealer who sold my my first turntable years ago told me something very similar. He said, if you want to enjoy some music that you have on CD, just don't listen to the same stuff on vinyl. It will ruin your enjoyment of the digital version forever. That was eleven years ago. I thought the gap had narrowed. I no longer have a CD player.

Congratulations on the new cartridges. I came to the thread late. I was going to suggest an AirTight Supreme which is a bit more fleshed out in the mid range than is the Atlas. It also has beautiful timbre and is fantastic on vocals, but I've not heard it in a VPI arm.

Please give us an update on the various cartridges once they have been broken in and fine tuned.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing