Which DAC just for DSD?

bebop86

Apr 1, 2013
Guys- Have decided to try DSD recordings- I currently have the Concert Fidelity preamp and DAC which I love- So I just want a DAC to play DSD recordings on my sound science diamond music server- Without spending a fortune which DAC do you recommend for DSD recordings only= thanks so much for your advice- gary

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Mytek is good DSD. But it must be used without internal preamp. So good for you as you have a preamp. You can it used as well. Felt the preamp model. It is not good for PCM in its horrible to my ears. Now top tier is the lampizator DSD. But it is three times that of a mytek . I own the mytek and a msb stack the DSD is good. Hope this helps .

Al

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Guys- Have decided to try DSD recordings- I currently have the Concert Fidelity preamp and DAC which I love- So I just want a DAC to play DSD recordings on my sound science diamond music server- Without spending a fortune which DAC do you recommend for DSD recordings only= thanks so much for your advice- gary

LampizatOr DSD DAC of course!
http://www.lampizator.eu/NEWDAC/Lampizator/DSD_DAC.html

Reviews:
http://www.stereomojo.com/Lampizator DSD DAC Review/LampizatorDSDDACReview.htm
http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2013/09/29/dsd-lampizator/

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I have heard the level 5/5 and have on order the level 7 . I will do a shoot out with the msb , lampizator and direct stream soon. I do expect them all to be very close as msb and lampizator but the direct might last. Not sure about the sorest stream as I have not heard one. I think the mytek is good and could be better but no DSD on other inputs so I cannot try my off ramp or AP1/PP. And PCM it's just nit for me .
I know Norman and he has very good ears and he turned me on to the lampizator sound.
And I am hooked for sure. It is a true analog sounding DAC .
Al

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I have heard the level 5/5 and have on order the level 7 . I will do a shoot out with the msb , lampizator and direct stream soon. I do expect them all to be very close as msb and lampizator but the direct might last. Not sure about the sorest stream as I have not heard one. I think the mytek is good and could be better but no DSD on other inputs so I cannot try my off ramp or AP1/PP. And PCM it's just nit for me .
I know Norman and he has very good ears and he turned me on to the lampizator sound.
And I am hooked for sure. It is a true analog sounding DAC .
Al

Hi Al,
An audiophile in Hong Kong has just got a Big Level-7 which is said to be better than a Level-7.

You may consider to change your order if you have rack space deep enough for it.

CK

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Mytek is good DSD. But it must be used without internal preamp. So good for you as you have a preamp. You can it used as well. Felt the preamp model. It is not good for PCM in its horrible to my ears. Now top tier is the lampizator DSD. But it is three times that of a mytek . I own the mytek and a msb stack the DSD is good. Hope this helps .

Al

+1

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
That's what I am getting the one box Jammie. New tubes as well. And I have a pair of tubes that are very rare as well . But first I want to hear it as is. I got it with all the goodies. Metal box too all black.
Al

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Hello we have the same DAC hahaha. Mine is a plus and galaxy clock with a diamond psu. Also I have a umt plus and the dual signature trans port . My only issue is no DSD 128 over network. It only goes to dsd64. So CPU and DSD over dop .

How do you like its DSD ?

Al

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hello we have the same DAC hahaha. Mine is a plus and galaxy clock with a diamond psu. Also I have a umt plus and the dual signature trans port . My only issue is no DSD 128 over network. It only goes to dsd64. So CPU and DSD over dop .
How do you like its DSD ?
Al

Hi Al,
Mine is with Femto140 only, so yours with Galaxy clock is better. :)

I enjoy DSD via MSB very much.
DSD is very musical and a bit soft at the high freq. This complement MSB's dynamical personilty perfectly.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Vince from msb told me the better clock is heard on more complex music like classical . But I would not say ifs better.

It is just my thoughts but I think DSD is easier to sound great with a DAC . Where PCM is complex , just my thoughts.
Now what our dacs do for PCM is magic .

Al

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

Loop4fun

Member Sponsor
Feb 19, 2012

http://schiit.com/products/loki

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Vince from msb told me the better clock is heard on more complex music like classical . But I would not say ifs better.

Al

Having compared the two many times, I would agree with Vince. It is wort the cost IMO.

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
More than a DAC, it's a NAS music server that does DSD and Redbook exceedinly well: LUMIN - The Audiophile Network Music Player (www.luminmusic.com/?)

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
That's what I am getting the one box Jammie. New tubes as well. And I have a pair of tubes that are very rare as well . But first I want to hear it as is. I got it with all the goodies. Metal box too all black.
Al

I hear you are getting I2S as well, either HDMI or RJ45.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Wow Man U just made my day. Really cool and thanks.

Hdmi preferred as ps audio configuration
Al

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing