Better Than Class A amp?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
And to think I was beginning to doubt my wisdom for buying the ARC REF 75.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Like I said earlier, the Mola Mola's and most of the other Class D amps that I have heard, initially are quite impressive. It is only upon more extensive listening do the faults become quite obvious.
I have heard the Mola Mola's at both a show and at a private event. In both instances, the amps were upon first listen as stated...BUT after just a few minutes for me, I noticed the problems.
You earlier said that Phillip switched the mola mola amps out for different amps. Maybe I misunderstood you. So, Phillip played the system with mola mola amps and then switched to different amps in the same system?
Michael.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
You earlier said that Phillip switched the mola mola amps out for different amps. Maybe I misunderstood you. So, Phillip played the system with mola mola amps and then switched to different amps in the same system?
Michael.

Actually, after Philip left, the group switched out amps. Interestingly, many in the group liked the Mola Mola's a lot. I was one of the few exceptions. Sorry, but i cannot remember what was the replacement, BUT IMO it was a LOT better.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I once said that Mola Mola sounds like some type of tropical disease as in "He caught a bad case of Mola Mola while he was in Fiji." Now Mola Mola reminds me of a song by Tommy James and the Shondells. Oooh, I love you Mola Mola...

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Actually, after Philip left, the group switched out amps. Interestingly, many in the group liked the Mola Mola's a lot. I was one of the few exceptions. Sorry, but i cannot remember what was the replacement, BUT IMO it was a LOT better.
Was it the Rowland 925? j/k :)

I appreciate your experience much more knowing this fact. Thanks for sharing.

Michael.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
that's not what you said here starting at 4:26 covering the "best of" no less:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WEoHWUjcdA#t=324

Thanks for viewing the video :) Read it in the context of show highlights and "pretty." There wasn't much good sound at the NY show since the electricity failed and they were running off a generator. Gideon of Audio Arts as well as Innovative Audio had a jackhammer outside their room all show long.

And Davey's comments.

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Nowhere, if you know where to look (or listen). It's alive and well on vinyl played through AirTight Supreme, SME, Pass Class A amps and Magico.

I think you know my point :)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I think you know my point :)

Actually Myles, I'm not sure. I don't listen to too many modern recordings. Are they missing midrange richness and sounding rather thin? What exactly do you mean? Since this thread is about Class A amplification, perhaps you are referring to the analytical sound of some contemporary electronics?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Actually Myles, I'm not sure. I don't listen to too many modern recordings. Are they missing midrange richness and sounding rather thin? What exactly do you mean? Since this thread is about Class A amplification, perhaps you are referring to the analytical sound of some contemporary electronics?

Not so much the recordings but the system lacks midrange.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Perhaps, scooped-out in the loudspeaker/crossover:eek:

Yes certainly in some cases! Or even that midrange driver doesn't move enough air relative to the other drivers

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Myles,

Have you ever auditioned ATC actives?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Every time I hear ATC speakers I start running from the room!! (and yes, I have tried a pair in my system) :eek:

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Like I said earlier, the Mola Mola's and most of the other Class D amps that I have heard, initially are quite impressive. It is only upon more extensive listening do the faults become quite obvious.
I have heard the Mola Mola's at both a show and at a private event. In both instances, the amps were upon first listen as stated...BUT after just a few minutes for me, I noticed the problems.
DaveyF,
You said about the $60,000 Rowland 925 Monoblocks, "I wouldn't be at all surprised if these are the best ss amps available today."
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?9739-Rowland-M925-The-amplifier-saga-continues/page2

Do you still feel the same way about the 925?

Michael.

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
DaveyF,
You said about the $60,000 Rowland 925 Monoblocks, "I wouldn't be at all surprised if these are the best ss amps available today."
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?9739-Rowland-M925-The-amplifier-saga-continues/page2

Do you still feel the same way about the 925?

Michael.

Michael, I have not heard the 925's (--like I said before) so cannot form an opinion. I suspect that Jeff has probably got it right, although I'm still not clear why Jeff likes the D class amp modules as much as he seems to. His model 201,301 and 501's did nothing for me.
BTW, as I said to you before, IF you like these amps so much...YMMV. Please understand that we don't all have the same ear and listen for the same thing. I may be mistaking your intention here, BUT I am getting the feeling that you are frustrated with my opinion and are trying to question me. IF that's NOT true, then so be it, OTOH if it is, I'm done with this inquisition.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
As far as accurate reproduction goes (that is, passing on the input signal as honestly and accurately as possible) three manufacturers come to mind; firstly Boulder's 2100 series which are an ode to neutrality and resolution. Secondly The Gryphon Mephisto/Pandora combo, and thirdly if you're into tubes, the CJ Gat & Art mono blocks. All are great reference tools. The Vitus Signature and MP series are at a similar or higher level, but are perhaps not as brutally honest/neutral, so were not mentioned.

Last edited:

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
I am just sayin, class a is a biasing scheme, and class a amps all will have their own harmonic spray which some may hear better than others....

I agree, not a free lunch by any means. Was trying the Vitus on my new S5, they do many things the Spectral do not, but at a price.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing