Better Than Class A amp?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
A hard grain and like I said before, a somewhat cool and bright sound that permeated everything ( similar IME to every Class D based amp I have ever heard, BUT less initially so obvious). It was pretty evident once the amps were replaced. Have you actually heard these amps?
That doesn't sound like the amps. I bet you were hearing the room or something else. Yes, I have had nc1200 amps in MY system for the last couple of days. They don't sound anything like what you've described.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
That doesn't sound like the amps. I bet you were hearing the room or something else. Yes, I have had nc1200 amps in MY system for the last couple of days. They don't sound anything like what you've described.
The Vivid Giya G1's are VERY revealing speakers. I guess you have NOT heard the mola mola's. Like I said before, YMMV.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Where did you hear mola mola?

I heard them in the GTT room at RMAF. It was a very un-impressive set-up in general. I am not blaming any one piece of gear and would like to hear them in a different set-up. As we know those rooms seldom show the full potential of gear or speakers as you would hear it in well set-up room.

Last edited:

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
The Vivid Giya G1's are VERY revealing speakers. I guess you have NOT heard the mola mola's. Like I said before, YMMV.

Sounds like you aren't familiar with what we are talking about here. The nc1200 module and SMPS is Bruno's and the Mola Mola is the same amp in a different case with a slightly better input stage and output filter. I've heard the vivid and I own YG. They are both very revealing speakers. You keep claiming I haven't heard the mola mola but you don't seem to understand what the mola mola is.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011

but you only heard them on Friday, e-v-e-r-y-o-n-e knows you can't judge the sound of a system at these shows til Sunday...sheesh:rolleyes::D

Dave we're commenting on the same system, I went back 3 different times and probably spent 2-hrs listening to music I know both via LP and digital files and the overall presentation checked all the boxes for me. much credit goes to the giya and brinkmann front-end. it was the only system I would take home at last years t.h.e show Newport.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The new hypex ncore technology is AS GOOD AS anything I've heard and I've owned some of the very best in a very accurate room/system. Eg. Soulution, Krell, BMC, Luxman and Dartzeel. I would say the new ncore amps are totally on par with any of the aforementioned.

Michael.

Michael, have you ever directly compared these ncore amps to high quality single ended Class A amps, either tube or SS, in the same system? I'd be very interested in knowing how you would describe the differences in sound. How are they more accurate?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Michael, have you ever directly compared these ncore amps to high quality single ended Class A amps, either tube or SS, in the same system? I'd be very interested in knowing how you would describe the differences in sound. How are they more accurate?
I've listed all of the other amps I've owned and used in my room with the same speakers. I am not saying the atsah is the greatest amp of all time. I don't own any class D amp and I haven't bought he atsah. All I am saying is that the hypex ncore nc1200 module is totally competitive with the best A or A/B amps I've heard from my list. The best amps with the YG on that list are the Soulution 710 and Krell 900e. I give the nod to Krell over Soulution mainly because it is way more dynamic and just as refined and sophisticated. I think the ncore Atsah is in the same league as the $50,000 Krell amps. That's pretty crazy since they only cost $9,000.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
but you only heard them on Friday, e-v-e-r-y-o-n-e knows you can't judge the sound of a system at these shows til Sunday...sheesh:rolleyes::D

Dave we're commenting on the same system, I went back 3 different times and probably spent 2-hrs listening to music I know both via LP and digital files and the overall presentation checked all the boxes for me. much credit goes to the giya and brinkmann front-end. it was the only system I would take home at last years t.h.e show Newport.

Actually Rob, I don't think we are talking of the same system at all. The Newport system consisted of Giya G3's if I remember correctly. I heard that system too, and it was the amps that I felt were problem there as well. The system with the G1's was a demo at a local audio meeting that Philip attended.
Dallas, even though you are clearly in love with the nc1200 module, I'm not. How they are packaged is irrelevant, I know what I heard and maybe...maybe, you will be able to hear what I am talking about after further listening:confused:. If not, well like I keep on saying, YMMV. Personally, I would take any well designed class A amp regardless of price.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Everyone seems to be forgetting the new JR 825 and 925 amps. The only Class D that I've heard at shows that doesn't sound Class D like.

I agree with DaveyF on the Mola-Mola.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
As we know those rooms seldom show the full potential of gear or speakers as you would hear it in well set-up room.

Or your room. Why do people keep forgetting this????

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Everyone seems to be forgetting the new JR 825 and 925 amps. The only Class D that I've heard at shows that doesn't sound Class D like.

I agree with DaveyF on the Mola-Mola.
Why do you think the Rowland amp class D sounds better than the Mola Mola class D?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I am just sayin, class a is a biasing scheme, and class a amps all will have their own harmonic spray which some may hear better than others....

You and that "harmonic spray."

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Why do you think the Rowland amp class D sounds better than the Mola Mola class D?

First of all, we're talking about at shows and we know what that can mean.

Second, at the shows, the M&Ms sound to me like every other Class D amp save the Rowlands: washed out, white-ish, dry, wispy, two dimensional and lacking midrange. In short, amusical. The Rowland is musical, has a midrange and musical overtones that the other Class D amps hunger for. Maybe it would be a different result in my system. It wouldn't be the first time. Maybe they would sound better with analog. Who knows? That's why this show thing is a crapshoot.

Third, where has the midrange gone in audio period???

YMMV....

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Myles. I am just having a hard time understanding huge differences here. Both the Rowland and Mola Mola use the exact same hypex nc1200 module. The nc1200 module designed by Bruno (Mola Mola manufacturer) is THE key technology inside the Rowland 825 and 925. I expect differences in implementation. However, I am very skeptical of any huge differences due to case, wire or modified SMPS.
Michael.

Second, at the shows, the M&Ms sound to me like every other Class D amp save the Rowlands: washed out, white-ish, dry, wispy, two dimensional and lacking midrange. In short, amusical. The Rowland is musical, has a midrange and musical overtones that the other Class D amps hunger for. Maybe it would be a different result in my system. It wouldn't be the first time. Maybe they would sound better with analog. Who knows? That's why this show thing is a crapshoot.

YMMV....

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles. I am just having a hard time understanding huge differences here. Both the Rowland and Mola Mola use the exact same hypex nc1200 module. The nc1200 module designed by Bruno (Mola Mola manufacturer) is THE key technology inside the Rowland 825 and 925. I expect differences in implementation. However, I am very skeptical of any huge differences due to case, wire or modified SMPS.
Michael.

I can't speak to the modules but certainly implementation has a huge role. As you know, Jeff uses input and output transformers on his amplifiers.

http://jeffrowlandgroup.com/us/amplifiers-model-925-mono-amplifier.html

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011

YMMV....

that's not what you said here starting at 4:26 covering the "best of" no less:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WEoHWUjcdA#t=324

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Haven't heard Class D in a while, but every one I heard in the past is kind of like Myles describes.

There seems to be a segment who have great initial enthusiasm for them, then, a few months later, they are for sale.

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
One thing to keep in mind here with regard to the Rowland 825 and 925 is that he didn't simply modify the SMPS and change the wiring. The bulk of the circuitry in these amps is devoted to the power supply and power regulation (all of which are of Jeff's own design). On top of that he's using his own input circuit.

I've spent a lot of time with the Mola Molas and the 925s. They do have very different sonic qualities, but overall you can tell that they're cut from the same cloth. The 925s are quite a bit more refined and they should be for 3X the price.

I have no agenda to push with either product and personally, like many here, prefer a more traditional high-power class A or AB design.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Haven't heard Class D in a while, but every one I heard in the past is kind of like Myles describes.

There seems to be a segment who have great initial enthusiasm for them, then, a few months later, they are for sale.

Like I said earlier, the Mola Mola's and most of the other Class D amps that I have heard, initially are quite impressive. It is only upon more extensive listening do the faults become quite obvious.
I have heard the Mola Mola's at both a show and at a private event. In both instances, the amps were upon first listen as stated...BUT after just a few minutes for me, I noticed the problems.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing