Better Than Class A amp?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
If you heard an amp that exceeded the performance of your favorite class A or A/B amp, would you buy it? What if the amp gave you more of the music than you've ever heard from class A without throwing off any of the heat and using up a fortunate in electricity costs? Class D is there, IMO. I borrowed a pair of the Atsah. There's no need to say they are the best EVA! That's stupid talk.

For those of you that don't know me. I fall squarely into the accurate reproduction camp. For those of you that are after very accurate music performance reproduction, you ought drop your common wisdom and former experiences concerning class D and take a listen to an ncore amp. The new hypex ncore technology is AS GOOD AS anything I've heard and I've owned some of the very best in a very accurate room/system. Eg. Soulution, Krell, BMC, Luxman and Dartzeel. I would say the new ncore amps are totally on par with any of the aforementioned.

Michael.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I've heard the mola mola amps on a couple of occasions. IMO, these are amps that upon first listen impress, BUT I noticed the longer I listened, the more I noticed the amps just were cool and a little bright. Not something I could live with.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
If you heard an amp that exceeded the performance of your favorite class A or A/B amp, would you buy it? What if the amp gave you more of the music than you've ever heard from class A without throwing off any of the heat and using up a fortunate in electricity costs? Class D is there, IMO. I borrowed a pair of the Atsah. There's no need to say they are the best EVA! That's stupid talk.

For those of you that don't know me. I fall squarely into the accurate reproduction camp. For those of you that are after very accurate music performance reproduction, you ought drop your common wisdom and former experiences concerning class D and take a listen to an ncore amp. The new hypex ncore technology is AS GOOD AS anything I've heard and I've owned some of the very best in a very accurate room/system. Eg. Soulution, Krell, BMC, Luxman and Dartzeel. I would say the new ncore amps are totally on par with any of the aforementioned.

Michael.

Hi Michael, do you mind expanding on your definition of accurate? Given the flawed and variable nature of playback we probably all have different criteria for accuracy.
david

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I've heard the mola mola amps on a couple of occasions. IMO, these are amps that upon first listen impress, BUT I noticed the longer I listened, the more I noticed the amps just were cool and a little bright. Not something I could live with.
Where did you hear mola mola?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Michael.

How new are you talking? I used to own NCore amps a couple years ago - they did not hold up to Class A in my opinion.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I could be wrong, but there may just be a division between people who like/love the new NCore amps and people who don't based on which one listens exclusively to digital and which one listens to analog and digital.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
How new are you talking? I used to own NCore amps a couple years ago - they did not hold up to Class A in my opinion.
The ncore 1200 and SMPS are said to be much superior sounding to the DIY version. I do not know about that. I have owned all of the amps listed and listened with same speakers in same room. I am confident in my evaluation. Ncore is a contender. Maybe it's not best in all systems but it's performance competitive with anything at any price.

I have the Atsah which is assembled by Acoustic Imagery. However, it's the same OEM ncore 1200 module and SMPS found in other ncore amps. I would expect all ncore 1200 amps sound very similar but I have not heard them all. However, the mola mola will have a discrete input stage and different output filter. The mola mola hasn't shipped to US.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Price?

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Michael,

Have you ever auditioned Spectron?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
My only experience with class D has been the Merrill amps, they are fricking good!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Michael.

What do you mean by accurate and are you referring to tube or SS Class A and single ended or push pull? Have you compared your ncore amps to Pass Labs Class A in the same system? That might be very interesting.

Perhaps you could elaborate about the sound of your ncore amps and why you prefer them.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Hi Michael, do you mind expanding on your definition of accurate?
More music, less gear. The best amps are the the amps that bring the speaker to its best performance and deliver music most closely to the playback material.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
The last time I heard mola mola was at a demo that was put on by Philip O'Hanlon with Vivid Giya's. The mola mola's were as I stated, initially impressive and yet after a little more listening were clearly NOT up to the rest of system. YMMV.
How did you attribute your disappointment to the amps?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
How did you attribute your disappointment to the amps?

A hard grain and like I said before, a somewhat cool and bright sound that permeated everything ( similar IME to every Class D based amp I have ever heard, BUT less initially so obvious). It was pretty evident once the amps were replaced. Have you actually heard these amps?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing