Vitus monoblocks for CLX

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Room with carpet.jpg I have been wrestling with what amplifiers to get with my Clxs

I think it might be Vitus sm102s

Unfortunately cannot listen to them here in Oz

interested in others thoughts and experiences

A :)

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Try find a pair of SM 101s ... You would get them at a better price , and I prefer their sound to the 02 series . While you would give up a tad on extension at the frequency extremes and maybe a touch of resolution , you would find the 01 series to be a more organic , flowing sound . Ask around and see if you get similar feedback , may save you a few bob .

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
That's very interesting feedback
Apparently power cords make a big difference
What was context you heard them

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
I run the 01 series power amp , also have gone up the chain to their Master series pre amp and DAC . So I have a fair idea with regards to their virtues. Yes, I have gone thru a few PC's to maximize them and finally settled on the stage 3 Kraken , which is just one superlative all round cord . All the best in your quest .

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Thanks for your advice

I see from your profile u have a lot of experience
I also see you have Marten Coltranes a speaker I know and love

Very transparent and sensitive to amplifiers

I am looking for a solid state amplifier with great timbral depth yet transparency

from what I have read this is the vitus trait transparency without edge

Is this your experience

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Awsmone, I haven't heard the CLX, but being a 90db/6ohm load it should be compatible with a wide range of amps. Running mono blocks requires suitable isolation and an extra high end power cable. What is your budget (including any cable/isolation purchases)? My experience with VA amps has been they seem to sound great paired with a wide variety of speakers due to their neutral tonal balance and natural, mellifluous sound. That said, although i'm a fan of Vitus, given you already own an Accuphase C-3800 pre i'd also consider the new Accuphase Instrumentation type amps including the A-70 & A-200 mono's (if your pockets are deep enough). I've read they are more neutral/transparent than earlier generation amps.

Last edited:

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Vitus Master Stereo Amp MP-S ... under development

10258353_785784101432322_4587477399588611806_o.jpg

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
why limit yourself to Vitus, especially if you can't hear them in your own system ? There are plenty of top class amps that would work with your speakers. Demo what you have access to in OZ.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing