30 meter USB cable

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
USB is limited to 5 m.
There are products on the market using Cat5 or optical to extend this range.
Most of the them are a bit expensive.

Corning announces a USB3 over optical cable starting at $109.99 (10m).
Beside extending the range, it looks like a nice solution to shield your DAC from the noise of the PC.
As optical doesn’t transfer power it must be a self-powered DAC including the USB receiver.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
As you know mOre then me. But two things comes to my mind.
The first being what ever noise is being transmitted over the fiber is already there . I understand the isolation part but the noise is being generated by the process so it's already there. Next what method is being to used to convert the data from electrical to optical this method too could add to jitter or electrical noise as we'll. correct me if I am wrong please .
I am looking to buy a PC express USB card any pics for bed one for audio system ?

Al

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Eliminating ground loop noise is a big first step for most USB audio users & an optical connection is one way to achieve this.

It could be, Al that noise from the PC not only is transmitted on the ground connection but is also embedded in or rides on the signal waveform?
But this is not a given yet although I do find some value in it as a concept to explain how, even after galvanic isolation, that a USB audio device is still sonically affected by what is happening on the PC i.e total immunity to the PC has not been achieved by galvanic isolation

I don't know how much immunity is offered by the other optical USB solution, Adnaco?

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
Indeed as John pointed out, if it is about noise over the power lines, optical prevents this.

The wave form of the signal is a bit more complex phenomenon.
What happens if you attach a class 1 laser device to the USB input of your DAC is another.
The usual if,if,if’s applies.
Don’t think you are wrong.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I own two USB converted one is the off ramp 5 and the audiophiles ap1/pp. They both improve the sound hands down
After doing some playing around and emailing the makers . They even said it's not just recloking but but noise that they lower greatly. So this brings me to USB cables. With there unites an improved cable is little in improvements .
Now I own an msb stack this is the only DAC that does not improve greatly .

Al

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Al - try to borrow the Soulution 590 USB/SPDIF converter is you can. It is so small, that maybe you will be able to negotiate a loan with a Soulution dealer, even if he is out of your state.

The Soulution 590 works great with MSB via TosLink (up to 192kHz). Since the MSB has a reclocking circuit, jitter (which the biggest problem with TosLink interface), is irrelevant, and you gain 100% galvanic isolation between your computer and a DAC since the transmission is optical.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I also have a UMT plus. So the only time I go USB is with DSD 128
That us when I have tried both USB adaptors
And they work as DSD over PCM dop works fine.
I really need to give it a critical listen in comparison
To a PC express USB card. I am thinking
Of trying a jcat. The PC I am using is win 7 from a nas
With two SS drives and jriver.
Al

chrisr

Member Sponsor
Aug 29, 2011
Chicago area
I've been using a 30m USB cable between my PC and Playback Designs DAC for about 5 years. I started with an Opticis 30m fiber optic cable, which worked well, but when I added the Playback Designs USB-X box for DSD streaming there was a compatibility problem. So I switched to a Gefen 30m Cat6 USB cable, which works like a charm.

For what it's worth, I also use an Opticis 30m fiber optic HDMI cable between my PC and HT receiver - works like a charm as well for 1080p video and HT multi-channel audio.

I don't remember what I paid, but I'm pretty sure they were both over $110.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing