Do you prefer traditional headphones or in-ear monitors?

What type of headphones / earphones do you use?

• Total voters

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
I got used to IEMs (Etymotic ER-4P) because of a long commute. Now I use them at home with a dedicated headphone amp.

What do you prefer?

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Good question. When travelling on airplanes, I want maximum sound isolation and minimum bulk/weight. So in-ear rules there. At home, I do want to hear my wife shouting at me :). So I like some kind of open-air design that allows some level of outside noise in. Finally, I like an amp in front of it with a volume control. All of this means I use the Stax at home and in-ear (Shure) monitors on the run.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Stax 404 Sigs and an ancient entry level stax SS amp at home that came with Lambdas looooooong ago by my bedside. Technics 1200 dynamics for DJing. Basic Etymotics picked up at the Mac store for on the road or in the air.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I can't afford STAX cans, and I'm only an occasional headphone user (nighttime, early morning and PC duties), but I prefer the over-the-ear closed-style of headphones. Just bought a pair of Shure SRH840's and they suit my needs most adequately. I cannot handle in-ear phones as they just never seem to fit properly and I'm always fiddling with them when in use.

John

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
John, have you tried the Shure with multiple replaceable ear pieces? I had the same problem as you until I got that unit. It comes with multiple sizes of two different kind of material and I finally found a pair that fits and stays in my ear.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have a pair of Sennheiser's with those, but they didn't work either. Never have tried the Shure in-ear ones though. I should try them really, as I feel like an idot wearing these big Shure cans out in public! LOL!

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Jerry Harvey Audio

For years I used the incredible Ultimate Ears UE5c (now the UE5 pro). They were stupendous. Frankly I thought the Etymotic and Shure headphones were broken by comparison. However, last week I lost my UEs. They cost me $550 many years ago. Thus, I cried for two days. Since I was headed down to Mexico on vacation this past week, I was desperate and bought a pair of Bose in ear headphones for $100. The unit itself seems to be adequate sonically but I can't get a good fit with any of the 3 interchangble ear pieces they provide. If anybody wants these cheap, make me an offer. Now that I'm back I have to replace my UEs. What most people may not know is that UE was started by Jerry Harvey in Las Vegas many years ago. It was, and is, the most commonly used pro in ear monitor for the music industry; recording artists, Broadway performers, etc. However, Jerry sold UE to a large company, Logitech a few years ago and then surprisingly, started his own company again recently. Its called simply, JHAudio.

Jerry has duplicated and according to many, exceeded the sound and the quality that made him famous with UE, but the good news is that he now has comparable models to UE at an average of 20-30% savings per model. For example, the UE5 Pro, the definitive iPod in ear monitors, are $600. Jerry assures users that his JH5 Pros will provide every bit the performance of the UE5Pro (after all, he created both), for $400. Not too bad.

http://www.jhaudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=6

Believe me, my home audio big rig costs mega bucks and sounds wonderful. But I always said that if I can voice my home system like the UE5C's, I'd be a very happy guy. The UEs are that good. I'm sure the JH line is equally good to UE but is probably a better value. My main problem now is- do I get the humble JH5 Pros or do I aim for something more ambitious in the JH line?

http://www.jhaudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

Decisions, decisions......

LesAuber

Jun 21, 2010
Good question. When travelling on airplanes, I want maximum sound isolation and minimum bulk/weight. So in-ear rules there. At home, I do want to hear my wife shouting at me :). So I like some kind of open-air design that allows some level of outside noise in. Finally, I like an amp in front of it with a volume control. All of this means I use the Stax at home and in-ear (Shure) monitors on the run.

Interesting. Much the same choices when I bother with cans. Shure for the office and ancient Stax Lambda Pros at home. Don't do much at home listening this way though.

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
If you wear an inexpensive pair of noise-cancelling headphones on top of a good pair of IEMs when on an airplane it gets scarey (perhaps even dangerously) quiet and the music is superbly reproduced. The IEMs take out the highs and the nch's take out the lows.

Monkeyboy

Jun 25, 2010
Northern Virginia
For me it just depends on where I am. Etymotic for biking and Stax Lambda Pro III at home. The Etymotics don't sound as good as the Stax, but then I never expected them too. Now I just need to get new caps for my Stax amp and I can listen at night again. It's starting to act up on me after 18 years of good service.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Talking about Etymotic, I could never get any of their cups to fit in my ear. And unfortunately, if they don't fit perfectly, they sound horrible. The bass is gone immediately for example. The Shure units are not nearly as sensitive and their silicone cups fit my ears very well (although they do loosen over time too especially if they are old).

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Traditional. I like my old Sennheisers (open-ear 424's with new foam) for general listening, but use a pair of Sony MDR-7506's for monitoring (closed-ear). I liked the Grado's I had for a while, and still miss the Stax system I sold ages ago, thinking I would never again be into "hi-fi". Never say never... - Don

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
For years I used the incredible Ultimate Ears UE5c (now the UE5 pro). They were stupendous. Frankly I thought the Etymotic and Shure headphones were broken by comparison. However, last week I lost my UEs. They cost me $550 many years ago. Thus, I cried for two days. Since I was headed down to Mexico on vacation this past week, I was desperate and bought a pair of Bose in ear headphones for $100. The unit itself seems to be adequate sonically but I can't get a good fit with any of the 3 interchangble ear pieces they provide. If anybody wants these cheap, make me an offer. Now that I'm back I have to replace my UEs. What most people may not know is that UE was started by Jerry Harvey in Las Vegas many years ago. It was, and is, the most commonly used pro in ear monitor for the music industry; recording artists, Broadway performers, etc. However, Jerry sold UE to a large company, Logitech a few years ago and then surprisingly, started his own company again recently. Its called simply, JHAudio.

Jerry has duplicated and according to many, exceeded the sound and the quality that made him famous with UE, but the good news is that he now has comparable models to UE at an average of 20-30% savings per model. For example, the UE5 Pro, the definitive iPod in ear monitors, are $600. Jerry assures users that his JH5 Pros will provide every bit the performance of the UE5Pro (after all, he created both), for $400. Not too bad.

http://www.jhaudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=6

Believe me, my home audio big rig costs mega bucks and sounds wonderful. But I always said that if I can voice my home system like the UE5C's, I'd be a very happy guy. The UEs are that good. I'm sure the JH line is equally good to UE but is probably a better value. My main problem now is- do I get the humble JH5 Pros or do I aim for something more ambitious in the JH line?

Wow. Logitec's lawyers must have done a horrible job with Jerry's non-compete contract. Good for Jerry. Bad for Logitec.

I use Senns at home and Etys on the road.

P

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
www.albertporterphoto.com

Marty, exactly my experience. I have the new Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Vi they are the best I've heard and with the soft Silicone pads they seal out most noise while flying. If I suffer your bad luck and misplace them I'll look into buying the JHAudio since I'm so impressed with UE.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Old thread, but just got fitted for a pair of JH Angie's, will report back.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I don't listen to phones much anymore.
Never IEA's, but when I do, either Stax's or Senn 600's with Equinox and GSP Solo pro mod'd or Xcanv2 with full cap, pot mod, nos Mullards and upgraded supply.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing