Solar Power

InterMechanico

Apr 17, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Follow Up a Few Months Later

I had a 14 kW system installed about a month ago. I'm in Tucson so lots of sunshine here although its cloudy today.

So far the system has produced about 3,000 kWh, about 3 1/2 times what we've drawn from the utility company if I am reading the meter correctly. Haven't seen my first bill with the solar system yet.

With a pool, fish pond and two A/C systems our electric bills last summer were high. Hope I am building sufficient reserve to offset a big portion of those costs.

Hi-O. I'm curious how your grid tied system has worked out so far? Any great savings on your bills?

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
View attachment 15271

My 6.5kw grid tied system, installed 4 years ago. Prior to install, my annual electric bill was over $4,000. This year, the utility company will owe me $350. No negative effect on SQ of my audio system.

Today I was looking at my PG&E meter. As usual for a sunny day, it was sending excess production into the grid, at 3.5kw per hour. I also observed the date of install of my "bi-directional" meter which coincided with the install of the solar system, June 2008. So it was over 6 years ago, not 4 as previously stated. Time fly's! Thus, my cash savings to date is about $24,000. I leave my sound system powered up 24/7 for instant gratification anytime I wish!

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Hi-O. I'm curious how your grid tied system has worked out so far? Any great savings on your bills?

Yes, my electric bill through the summer months has been $10.50 per month. That charge is a small grid connection fee and local taxes.

We are still 700 kWh ahead so we should make it through September and the end of the warm weather. We'll then begin building a surplus again.

So far I have been very pleased with the system.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Must be a great feeling to have a solar system beyond any actual monetary reward. Something about self-sufficiency. I might put in a system just for that reason :).

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello all, any recent solar panel installs or additional information? The wife and I are interested in exploring our options and i thought I would respond here instead of starting another thread.

Tom

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I was recently told that owners of electric vehicles who expect to charge their cars from their home's solar power array will need to have an extra battery assembly to cover the demand of the charger. Haven't had time to check/research this claim, but may be an issue for those with these vehicles.

Lee

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
I was recently told that owners of electric vehicles who expect to charge their cars from their home's solar power array will need to have an extra battery assembly to cover the demand of the charger. Haven't had time to check/research this claim, but may be an issue for those with these vehicles.

Lee

Most buyers of electric cars will be living on the grid, and thus their solar systems do not employ batteries. How much bigger their PV array needs to be to accommodate their e-car will depend mainly on how many miles/day they drive.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Well, I own a gas-guzzling full sized truck (I have to tow up to 10,000lbs on a daily basis for work) so that won't be an issue for me but thanks for notifying those who do have an electric car. That's vaguely important. ;)

Tom

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
As part of my electrical upgrade project, I just installed a 28 panel system with micro inverters. This produces about 50Kw a day...more than enough for an electric vehicle if I so choose. In S.Calif, we have plenty of sunshine :D Solar is the way to go, IMHO.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
What company did those who have solar panels go with? National, local, brand name, obscure? Any recommendations or hiccups associated with company?

Tom

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
As part of my electrical upgrade project, I just installed a 28 panel system with micro inverters. This produces about 50Kw a day...more than enough for an electric vehicle if I so choose. In S.Calif, we have plenty of sunshine :D Solar is the way to go, IMHO.

What is the typical price for this facility in the US, including installation?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The new leases on solar panels makes it difficult to say no to solar.
Hello Steve. This is "kind of" what prompted my interest in solar panels. I am checking out the options with a Duke Energy and LGCY partnership that isn't really a lease, it's more of a "Let me borrow your roof for 20 years and we will lower your electric bill but install and maintain for free while taking excess electricity for us" type deal with the leases that I honestly didn't know were available and outright ownership.....along with the tax rebates or other benefits of owning.

It seems that there are many choices and LOTS of things to consider with each one. Our bill averages around the 180 a month mark and I am looking at actual cash outlay, install costs, long term and short term advantages with each option.

Then there is the "should I keep my original meter for the rig and if not, will it affect the sound" question that lingers in my mind....

I looked at Elon Musk's Solar City

Thanks Steve.

Tom

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
One important question I have is this -

For those that own -vs- lease, how did this affect the value or appraisal of your house? Any unforeseen issues on either side?

Tom

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hello Steve. This is "kind of" what prompted my interest in solar panels. I am checking out the options with a Duke Energy and LGCY partnership that isn't really a lease, it's more of a "Let me borrow your roof for 20 years and we will lower your electric bill but install and maintain for free while taking excess electricity for us" type deal with the leases that I honestly didn't know were available and outright ownership.....along with the tax rebates or other benefits of owning.

It seems that there are many choices and LOTS of things to consider with each one. Our bill averages around the 180 a month mark and I am looking at actual cash outlay, install costs, long term and short term advantages with each option.

Then there is the "should I keep my original meter for the rig and if not, will it affect the sound" question that lingers in my mind....

Thanks Steve.

Tom

All the leases are basically the same as what you said. I was looking at a 28-30 panel system. If I bought it the cost was north of $60K. I am considering lease but as you say they take all the extra power your panels produce. The other lease concern is when you sell your house and the buyer won't assume the lease. Lease is good as the panels are maintained and replaced for no charge during the life of the lease

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
After the 30% Investment Tax Credit and annual depreciation, today's typical solar install will reach it's break even point in about 6 years, assuming a $0.20/kwh cost of electricity from your utility company and net metering and no financing cost. This means a ROI of about 15%, far better than most alternative investments, and a very low risk factor!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
What is the typical price for this facility in the US, including installation?

Pricing is dependent on the difficulty of installation. In my instance, we unfortunately had to re-do 50% of the roof, as we have a low weight tile roof...and it was very fragile....therefore requiring major roof work.
I went with LG panels and Empower inverters.

Btw, I would NOT recommend a lease system....too many negative issues. ( which I am happy to discuss off-line!).

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Interesting DaveyF. Hello and good afternoon to you BTW. Thanks for chiming in. Would you care to highlight the top 3 main reasons online without too much detail so that those who are inquiring know what to ask for and PM me some concerns that you are willing to divulge to me? I'm serious about getting one but I want to walk into the deal highly educated about the decision and not just "okay" with any deal that comes along.

Thank you to all those who have chimed in, much appreciated. ;)

Tom

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Another question to those who have solar panels......is there an increased risk for lightning strikes to hit in your own experience? I would gather there is given that there is additional metal up on the roof but this is one area that I am unsure of, given that I have zero experience.

Also, is regular cleaning or maintenance required with a solar panel array?

I apologize in advance for having so many questions and I appreciate any experience those with solar panels can offer. Even if it's a small, seemingly unimportant note? It may me a major factor for those who are interested in solar energy.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing