Thread: Cartridges

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]

Cartridges

There are so many good cartridges out there today. Who wudda thunk just a couple of years ago? Listening to a couple now and two more to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by MylesBAstor View Post
    There are so many good cartridges out there today. Who wudda thunk just a couple of years ago? Listening to a couple now and two more to arrive.
    Between some of the best LPs being pressed today, the great cartridges that are available, and the availability of great turntables, I truly think we are in the golden age of analog. And this doesn't include all of the great phono stages and R2R.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Between some of the best LPs being pressed today, the great cartridges that are available, and the availability of great turntables, I truly think we are in the golden age of analog. And this doesn't include all of the great phono stages and R2R.
    Great points!

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] es347's Avatar
    I just fit my TT...a Rega P3-24 on steroids...with an Audiomods Classic arm and a new Clearaudio Maestro Ebony II MM. I must admit that it sounds sweet...better than the RB301 and Exact2 it replaced..

Name:  rega iso 1.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  414.8 KBName:  rega audiomod 1.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  276.3 KBName:  rega audiomod 2.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  255.7 KBName:  rega maestro cart.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  175.3 KB
    Last edited by es347; 05-05-2014 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MylesBAstor View Post
    Yes I agree, but just a couple of years ago, we still had the Lyra Titan I, the Clearaudio Goldfinger, the Ortofon A90, the AirTight Supreme, the Dynavector XV-1S, the stone bodied Koetsus. Now, I guess, we have the Atlas, the Anna, the XV-1t, and still the Supreme, the Coral Stone and the Goldfinger. I'm sure I'm forgetting some great ones that I have not heard. What are you listening to Myles that is so much better than what we had just two years ago? Curious minds want to know.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-20 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

There have always been good sounding cartridges out there, and not just the expensive check list varieties.

I think the evolution in resolving systems including phono stages have allowed better performance from most cartridges out there.
    Source:TW Raven AC-3 - Thales Simplicity II, Exclusive P3 & P10, Technics SL-1000MK3D, Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas, Etna SL, Delos, Dynavector XV-1s, Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon DL-S1, ESC'd 103R, Audio Tech AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: TW Acustik/Thoress phono, Accuphase C-37, Esoteric E-03 EQ: ​​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: cj GAT, Amps: cj teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum Stereo, Speakers: Wilson Maxx3 -Townsend Supertweeters

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! flez007's Avatar
    My RtR deck is having some rest since I got my turntable fully refurbished and a new cartridge was installed, there is just something ritualistic on spinning vinyl and manipulating an arm/needle at the beginning of each record...and yes...it sounds great.
    ​No lies, no surprises

The sweet spot for purchasing any of these "great" new audiophile products has always been 2-3 generations back. The price is half or less than the new products and the performance is still excellent. OK, maybe not that last 1% that the new product has, but damn fine all the same.

Now for a cartridge, you do have to worry about the age of the suspension and potential former abuse. for example, I have a Transfiguration Temper that is truly excellent, but it is probably 10+ years old now. Is a new Phoenix better? Yes, by many accounts from owners who have had both, but even that is more than twice what I paid for mine.

Cost not being an obstacle, there has always been great stuff out there to check out in every generation, and technology generally tends to improve, but I (for one) am not made out of money to ever do more than hear these pieces at shows (which is never at their best).
    Veni, Vide, Velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    There have always been good sounding cartridges out there, and not just the expensive check list varieties.

I think the evolution in resolving systems including phono stages have allowed better performance from most cartridges out there.
    +1. I think the Ortofon 2M Black is a steal at $700.
    I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
    John Adrian Spijkers - "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
    Dynavector DV20x2L - Genesis G7.1f - Marantz Reference PM KI Pearl - Nitty Gritty 2.5Fi - Oracle Paris Mk.V

I agree. Best MM I ever heard. My friend uses it in a modified Linn Ittok with Moon weights.