Anyone here actually enjoy headphones more than their speakers?

caesar

May 30, 2010
I like my headphones, and I have a killer headphone system with Beyer T1 and Luxman, but I would rather listen to XM radio in my car going 80 mph than to high res recordings my headphone rig. And, of course, nothing compares to my MBL.

Anyone here feel differently about headphones? Anyone prefer them to their speakers?

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
What MBL speakers do you have?

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I have tried headphones but do not really enjoy them. I like to feel the music in the room not just between my ears.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Being forced to use them, I learned to adapt. It does take adaptation, maybe some time every day over a month or so that the aural pathways can accommodate to the paradigm if you are not used to them.

After that, they are pretty nice. My Wavac/Stax system in Santa Cruz is the most ear melting, time and space dissolving headphone setup I have heard, I can't start it unless I am prepared to have time go by in a kind of listening paralysis.

No, I do not prefer them to the full array, they are an alternative.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I have a few headphones, but never listen to them in preference to speakers.

I only listen to them if we have overnight guests and I want to listen a 3 in the morning.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I don't prefer cans to the main system but see it as an adjunct to. I use them for everything for playing back rips from the server, cartridge setup (very useful for identifying the slightest sibilance/distortions). I use them exclusively for evaluating new music thru the laptop. we're in a head-fi renaissance of sorts, never have we had so many great and reasonably priced options.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I greatly prefer listening to my speakers. But I enjoy listening to headphones even when circumstances don't force me to. My outlook on them sort of changed when I was able to hear the Sennheiser HD800 with a good DHT headphone amp; initially one with 307a output tubes, now one using the 45 (both are really demanding of the OPT given how revealing the headphones are). Lovely tone, detail, and a surprisingly open sound. Particularly nice with jazz and classical.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I used headphones for live recording monitoring and back in the day when my living circumstances at the time precluded me from playing music at a reasonable level. These days, I need to feel the music. Headphones don't cut it in that regard.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I used headphones for live recording monitoring and back in the day when my living circumstances at the time precluded me from playing music at a reasonable level. These days, I need to feel the music. Headphones don't cut it in that regard.

Get a pair of subwoofers, turn off your speakers, listen with headphones!:p

PeterO

Apr 30, 2014
I find them somewhat claustrophobia-inducing, and I'm not really claustrophobic. Has anyone else experience this?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing