Any thoughts on Verity Audio Lohengrin II

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
I have come across a nice 2nd hand Lohengrin II. Does anybody have an experience with this speaker? Is it an easy load as it is claimed to be and also is it acoustically an easy setup or not.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have come across a nice 2nd hand Lohengrin II. Does anybody have an experience with this speaker? Is it an easy load as it is claimed to be and also is it acoustically an easy setup or not.

Know that at shows Verity uses the small LAMM amps with them. :)

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Looking at how other Verity speakers measures (Stereophile reviews) I would advice you to stay far away. Even some PSB speakers, which are very well designed, should blow them away. At least if people listen blindly....

Not necessarily. I owned the Parsifals Encores, which measured a lot worse the Revel Studios they replaced, but sounded better (to me).

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
They're wonderful musical speakers, among the very best that you can buy today. Spent the last two CES with them in the Lamm room and many hours in a friend's room in NYC who owns a pair. They're big speakers but depending on your choice of music will sound quite intimate, something that some others in its class can't accomplish.

They are an easy load and as Myles pointed out they were driven with the 18 watt Lamm ML2 SETs but for best results they had to be bi- wired with two pairs of them. The higher powered ML3 can easily drive them so can other amplifiers with slightly more power than 18 watts. Set up is straightforward and no more demanding than any other speaker, your room is the deciding factor on that. You won't go wrong with them!
david

Reactions: ozy and Klonk

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
You won't go wrong with them!
david
Thanks David. I will go to have an audition most probably tomorrow or Thursday. I will post my findings.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I thought the Amadis (well below the Lohengrin II) sounded outstanding the one time I heard them. I can't imagine any PSB speaker sounding even that good...

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Yes that puzzles me too-- I've heard Verity's smaller versions under the L's and compared to PSBs I've listened to--the Verity are far superior.

Bruce D

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Looking at how other Verity speakers measures (Stereophile reviews) I would advice you to stay far away. Even some PSB speakers, which are very well designed, should blow them away. At least if people listen blindly....

You have to hear them Bjorn before dispensing this kind of negative advice. Verity makes some of the best speakers in every category and have been for quite some time.

david

Bjorn

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Norway
Speakers that measures very unevenly will never sound good with a variety of music IMO. They may impress you at the first. But in the long run they will end up favoring some type of music which one easily gets bored of and not come close to a speaker that meausures correctly.
I've heard enough, had similar speakers and experienced enough with EQ to know this. But whatever floats your boat. I prefer something that sounds real and gives me an illusion of listening to the real thing.

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
I prefer something that sounds real and gives me an illusion of listening to the real thing.
Can you elaborate more according to you which brands and models sounds more real?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Speakers that measures very unevenly will never sound good with a variety of music IMO. They may impress you at the first. But in the long run they will end up favoring some type of music which one easily gets bored of and not come close to a speaker that meausures correctly.
I've heard enough, had similar speakers and experienced enough with EQ to know this. But whatever floats your boat. I prefer something that sounds real and gives me an illusion of listening to the real thing.

I don't know any other speakers like the Lohengrin II, what similar speakers are you referring to? I understand your point regarding hifi speakers but the Lohengrin is a very natural and musical, it gets out of the way and doesn't try to impress you with anything. No disco here.

david

Bjorn

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Norway
Can you elaborate more according to you which brands and models sounds more real?
Firstly; A speaker and a room can't be separated. In order to achieve an even response (not flat!) in small rooms like we're talking about you need both speakers that have a good power response, work on placement in the room, do acoustic treatment and in most cases separate subwoofers is needed.

There are some frontfiring speakers that have a pretty good power response. PSB has been mentioned. Others like expensive versions of Revel and Kef. However, no frontfiring box speakers can macth the best horns or CBT speakers. Neither when it comes to power response, dynamics or distortion. Dipoles and cardioid speakers can also have a very good power response but they have some other weaknesses. The very best speakers are DIY speakers where size doesn't matter and the speaker system is set up with an active cross over and a separate bass system with proper signal aligment. Size matters when it comes to effortless and giving a true illusion. One commercial good speaker that can be recommended though, as long as you use a subwoofer, is Klipsch Jubilee which doesn't exists in Klipsch's catalogue but it's sold only to those who asks spesifically for it. They require to be placed in two corners. Different CBT speakers sold by Audioartistry, Selah-Audio and Partsexpress is another.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Firstly; A speaker and a room can't be separated. In order to achieve an even response (not flat!) in small rooms like we're talking about you need both speakers that have a good power response, work on placement in the room, do acoustic treatment and in most cases separate subwoofers is needed.

There are some frontfiring speakers that have a pretty good power response. PSB has been mentioned. Others like expensive versions of Revel and Kef. However, no frontfiring box speakers can macth the best horns or CBT speakers. Neither when it comes to power response, dynamics or distortion. Dipoles and cardioid speakers can also have a very good power response but they have some other weaknesses. The very best speakers are DIY speakers where size doesn't matter and the speaker system is set up with an active cross over and a separate bass system with proper signal aligment. Size matters when it comes to effortless and giving a true illusion. One commercial good speaker that can be recommended though, as long as you use a subwoofer, is Klipsch Jubilee which doesn't exists in Klipsch's catalogue but it's sold only to those who asks spesifically for it. They require to be placed in two corners. Different CBT speakers sold by Audioartistry, Selah-Audio and Partsexpress is another.

But you've never heard the Verity speakers? And you have a credible opinion? Sorry and no offense to PSB but I want to have whatever you're smoking if you think the PSB is superior to the big Verity speakers. BTW Julian and company are no dopes.

So you can tell by one measurement -- when it takes leading speaker manufacturers up to five measurements such as impedance, polar response, etc. (with FR being near the bottom of the list) -- how a speaker sounds. Think you oughta give up your day job and start designing speakers.

Reactions: bmarq

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I stand by Myles 100% here. I know the speaker very well. DIY speakers the best? Wow. Don't have the words in the typewriter to respond to that one.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks David. I will go to have an audition most probably tomorrow or Thursday. I will post my findings.

Please post your opinions and the system people were using on them. I have read great thinks about them.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I stand by Myles 100% here. I know the speaker very well. DIY speakers the best? Wow. Don't have the words in the typewriter to respond to that one.
DIY might be good once in a blue moon, depending on what you call DIY. Geoff Cook (a colleague of John Curl and Bascom King and somewhat well-known for his Phase Linear 700 mods) made some very impressive speakers in the mid-70's utilizing about a dozen 4" mids and 2 Altec compression drivers (without the horns) on a curved front baffle with his own passive crossover design, used with a custom subwoofer again with his own active X-over and amp. But that's the question; is it still DIY when the builder is essentially an audio manufacturer?

Bjorn

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Norway
But you've never heard the Verity speakers? And you have a credible opinion? Sorry and no offense to PSB but I want to have whatever you're smoking if you think the PSB is superior to the big Verity speakers. BTW Julian and company are no dopes.

So you can tell by one measurement -- when it takes leading speaker manufacturers up to five measurements such as impedance, polar response, etc. (with FR being near the bottom of the list) -- how a speaker sounds. Think you oughta give up your day job and start designing speakers.
It's well know from researches that speakers that are correct and with a well behaved power response are preferrred. But of course that's when testet blindly. Sighted tests don't always speak the truth and bias come into place.
A polar response is seldom published and never by these so called "high-end" brands. And no wonder why; they would reveal an ugly truth. However, the combination of on-axis and off-axis measurements do show a great deal and is also what a polar response is made up of.
http://seanolive.blogspot.no/2009/04/dishonesty-of-sighted-audio-product.html

Here's Verity Audio Sarastro II measured:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/verity-audio-sarastro-ii-loudspeaker-measurements

Despite not being a speaker designer, I don't think I would have much trouble producing a better speaker then the Sarastro II for a fraction of the price. Whether a reviewer would prefer it in sighted test, is however doubtful looking at their listening performance.
ListenerPerformance.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing