Our brains is a code breaker

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Every time I watch an episode of Brain Games on Nat Geo. I am reminded over an over how powerful our brains are and also how easily they can be fooled.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Every time I watch an episode of Brain Games on Nat Geo. I am reminded over an over how powerful our brains are and also how easily they can be fooled.
There is another way to interpret the info in that link - not that our brains are easily fooled but rather they are great pattern matching processors.
In audio this may have relevance in that people often say our short term audio memory is only a handful f seconds long & therefore instant A/B switching is necessary to identify audible differences between sounds. Others say that long term listening is more important for evaluating differences between devices.

I suspect that these two approaches are examining different aspects of sound - one aspect being instant amplitude/frequency/timing differences & the other being pattern matching to our stored memory of the sound pattern that we have gathered over time (in other words how natural we feel the reproduced sound is compared to our pattern)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
There is another way to interpret the info in that link - not that our brains are easily fooled but rather they are great pattern matching processors.
In audio this may have relevance in that people often say our short term audio memory is only a handful f seconds long & therefore instant A/B switching is necessary to identify audible differences between sounds. Others say that long term listening is more important for evaluating differences between devices.

I suspect that these two approaches are examining different aspects of sound - one aspect being instant amplitude/frequency/timing differences & the other being pattern matching to our stored memory of the sound pattern that we have gathered over time (in other words how natural we feel the reproduced sound is compared to our pattern)

There are lots of biological processes going on in our brain when we process stimuli. :) (especially important when we now take into account brain neuroplasticity, eg. overthrowing the decades old dogma that only certain centers in the brain are responsible for certain actions.) It's not only the time constant but the storage capacity and how does short term memory get converted into long term memory. And then there's subconscious processing going on also. That many want to ignore.

And not only patterns but rhythms. A good friend was involved in Parkinson's research and how sound/particular beat patterns could aid them in once again walking normally.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
For me the article is giving me better understanding
Why when I read quickly or post fast even though
I proof.and I miss things anyway.

As with stimuli I agree there is plenty going on
Echos are annoying and confusing to me.
As my mind never gets a good lock on what I hear A little reverb is fine
Al

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing