Gryphon + Cardas

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
I have just taken delivery of a Mephisto Stereo paired with Gryphon Pandora pre.

Strangest of things occurred when my dealer tried to hook up my Cards Clear speaker wires. The main power fuse blew on one side of the Mephisto. I gave another different older version of Cardas clear to try. Same thing. I took my Golden cross out of storage & both main fuses blew. Hooked up a cheap Chord speaker cables all is well. Tried Kimber 8TC that was lying around all clear. Took out ancient Tara Labs also ok.

What could be happening ?

Right now my dealer's top of the line Chord is doing speaker cable duties while he checks with both manufacturers what's up.

Prior to that the very same Cardas cables were being used on the Antileon Sig without problems. Check continuity & any shorts all ok.

Fuse rating on both amps are the same slow blo 5A

Anyone have any experience like this ? Care to enlighten ?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Congrats on the Mephisto! - not a clue on why that happened with the Cardas strips...I used Siltech AC powercords with my Anthileon and no issues....but don't try to use a power conditioner on those..I blew mine on the try.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have just taken delivery of a Mephisto Stereo paired with Gryphon Pandora pre.

Strangest of things occurred when my dealer tried to hook up my Cards Clear speaker wires. The main power fuse blew on one side of the Mephisto. I gave another different older version of Cardas clear to try. Same thing. I took my Golden cross out of storage & both main fuses blew. Hooked up a cheap Chord speaker cables all is well. Tried Kimber 8TC that was lying around all clear. Took out ancient Tara Labs also ok.

What could be happening ?

Right now my dealer's top of the line Chord is doing speaker cable duties while he checks with both manufacturers what's up.

Prior to that the very same Cardas cables were being used on the Antileon Sig without problems. Check continuity & any shorts all ok.

Fuse rating on both amps are the same slow blo 5A

Anyone have any experience like this ? Care to enlighten ?

This is probably an indication of self-oscillation of the amplifier when connected to these medium capacity, low inductance speaker cable. You should contact Gryphon giving them the Cardas Clear parameters : Capacitance: 278 pf/ft, Inductance: .0176 uh/ft .

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats indeed! As to the problem, I cannot add anything here...sorry. Hopefully, they sort it out. Micro's suggestion is a sound one. Very strange otherwise that only Cardas cables seem to causing the problem. I use Transparent...both on my old Antileon and our current Colosseum...no problems.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Were the amplifiers seeing a proper load?

A thought:
The 4 Ohm tap on the back of an amplifier can be connected to a 4, 8, 16 Ohm speaker.
The opposite is not quite true.
The 16 Ohm tap on the back of an amplifier should > NOT < be connected to a 4 or 8 Ohm speaker.
The amplifier should always see an equal or higher Ohm load.

zz.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
A thought:
The 4 Ohm tap on the back of an amplifier can be connected to a 4, 8, 16 Ohm speaker.
The opposite is not quite true.
The 16 Ohm tap on the back of an amplifier should > NOT < be connected to a 4 or 8 Ohm speaker.
The amplifier should always see an equal or higher Ohm load.

zz.
The Gryphon Mephisto has multiple taps for speakers on the back? Wow...I have not seen this on any of their other amps...DM100, Antileon, Antileon Sig or Colosseum.

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Thanks guys. Microstrip, i will pass the parameters to my dealer to be brought up to Gryphon.

LL21, u r right, no multi taps for SS amps.

So, any suggestions for Cardas Clear equivalent but not a Cardas ? :) More neutral than other cables in the Cardas line but with a touch of warmth.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
The Gryphon Mephisto has multiple taps for speakers on the back? Wow...I have not seen this on any of their other amps...DM100, Antileon, Antileon Sig or Colosseum.

I went to their www.
No multiple taps.
They must just keep the Ohms low enough[?] for all speakers to present a proper load.
Thank you for bringing that up.

zz.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I went to their www.
No multiple taps.
They must just keep the Ohms low enough[?] for all speakers to present a proper load.
Thank you for bringing that up.

zz.
Gryphon input impedance is about 20kohms and output about 0.023 ohms

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks guys. Microstrip, i will pass the parameters to my dealer to be brought up to Gryphon.

LL21, u r right, no multi taps for SS amps.

So, any suggestions for Cardas Clear equivalent but not a Cardas ? :) More neutral than other cables in the Cardas line but with a touch of warmth.

I like the higher grade Transparent RefMM (MM2) levels a lot, and I know all the TA cables I have ever used work well with Gryphon. I know a lot of people like Echole's higher grade stuff but I don't know their impedance levels. For neutral but good tonal qualities, perhaps Argento?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I like the higher grade Transparent RefMM (MM2) levels a lot, and I know all the TA cables I have ever used work well with Gryphon. I know a lot of people like Echole's higher grade stuff but I don't know their impedance levels. For neutral but good tonal qualities, perhaps Argento?

I use Echole Passion and Signature AC cables, I think you won't have an issue trying them!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing