Dec 26, 2010

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm 60! :eek:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Happy 60th year then! Go out any buy some more music this whole year to celebrate!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Happy 60th year then! Go out any buy some more music this whole year to celebrate!

I like your suggestion, although I've decided to pare back slightly on new purchases. I have so much music already that I'm actually having a lot of fun going back through my stash and pulling out some oldies that haven't received the love they should have in recent years.

I do plan on going to next Saturday's RSD however. I have my eye on the R.E.M Unplugged boxset.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I like your suggestion, although I've decided to pare back slightly on new purchases. I have so much music already that I'm actually having a lot of fun going back through my stash and pulling out some oldies that haven't received the love they should have in recent years.

I do plan on going to next Saturday's RSD however. I have my eye on the R.E.M Unplugged boxset.

I have been gobbling up albums as I see them since I am a redbook buy, and CDs are relatively inexpensive on Amazon 2nd hand. But I am slowing compared to 3 years ago, as the collection has filled out extremely nicely. Gone from Daft Punk, deep house, Pink Floyd to Dvorak all across the day.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have been gobbling up albums as I see them since I am a redbook buy, and CDs are relatively inexpensive on Amazon 2nd hand. But I am slowing compared to 3 years ago, as the collection has filled out extremely nicely. Gone from Daft Punk, deep house, Pink Floyd to Dvorak all across the day.

Nice! I'm personally not a fan of electronica and house, but I am starting a little bit to enjoy some country, which is pretty new exposure for me. Not the "new country" though...more the guitar greats of earlier times.

As far as CD's are concerned, I've bought quite a few myself lately. They are inexpensive like you said and it's a great way to try new stuff.

I'm just using an inexpensive H/K DVD47 for CD/SACD playback, but it sounds alright. I got in on the Indigogo campaign for the Geek Pulse DAC and I hope that will make a nice difference.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Nice! I'm personally not a fan of electronica and house, but I am starting a little bit to enjoy some country, which is pretty new exposure for me. Not the "new country" though...more the guitar greats of earlier times.

As far as CD's are concerned, I've bought quite a few myself lately. They are inexpensive like you said and it's a great way to try new stuff.

I'm just using an inexpensive H/K DVD47 for CD/SACD playback, but it sounds alright. I got in on the Indigogo campaign for the Geek Pulse DAC and I hope that will make a nice difference.

I am NO country expert. My two cents. For music you hear when you're in the movies and you walk into a bar down south with the pool table in the back...try Dwight Yoakam. If you're new and trying to avoid too much country twang, Bonnie Rait is solid stuff.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I am NO country expert. My two cents. For music you hear when you're in the movies and you walk into a bar down south with the pool table in the back...try Dwight Yoakam. If you're new and trying to avoid too much country twang, Bonnie Rait is solid stuff.

I like Bonnie Raitt....always have and do own some of her stuff. Definitely NOT into the "twang" thing! I also like Suzy Bogguss quite a bit. Her compilation album "Simpatico" with Chet Atkins is most enjoyable.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I like Bonnie Raitt....always have and do own some of her stuff. Definitely NOT into the "twang" thing! I also like Suzy Bogguss quite a bit. Her compilation album "Simpatico" with Chet Atkins is most enjoyable.

This is not country per se...but they're from Texas, or certainly some city in the US on the border of Mexico. Spiritoso by Calexico. Great album. 2 CDs...called Algiers (Spiritoso is one of the 2 CDs) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Algiers-Cal...=UTF8&qid=1397411174&sr=1-1&keywords=calexico

I like 'Carried to Dust' as well.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing