Modded mac minis vs streamers

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi has anyone compared modded mac minis (with their own power supllies etc) to streamers such as the Aurender? Will be good to hear your impressions

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Nobody?

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Hiya

I am pretty sure Computer audiophile just wrote on Aurender W20 and compared to mini servers

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
It's one step forward, several steps backward, IMO. I think it's possible to make even well designed DACs sound better with lower noise server but the gain isn't outweighed by the considerable downside to any of the expensive dedicated servers. The downside is the lack of even basic DSP and the lack of future software development.

Even if you don't think you like DSP and would never use it, you may not feel the same way a year or two down the line. Here are some examples:

1. You want to take out a single room peak with simple EQ, my bet is that your expensive server won't be able to do it and you will need to rely on something that's sonically degrading (analog PEQ) to do so.
2. You want to test advanced convolution software or something like DIRAC. You can't do that on your expensive server.
3. You want to tryout some new digital filter or new dither that some computer wiz came up with down the line. You won't be able to do that with your expensive server.
4. You want to add a pair of subwoofers and run a delay/crossover to properly integrate them. You won't be able to do this with most of the expensive dedicated servers.

There are many good software options on both mac and windows that have HUGE followings and offer excellent customer support. You can be sure that if enough folks want a new feature, it WILL happen. With the fancy boutique servers like the Aurender, you get a very limited number of folks that buy into it and very limited software functionality. The Aurender and other fancy linux servers are specifically designed for the audiophile that just wants it to work and isn't concerned with future software innovations. Btw, most of the excellent MAC and Windows softwares are almost as simple to use and almost as reliable as the big bux servers.

JMO.

Michael.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I have a MacMini as a server using Amarra Symphony with IRC. IRC (Impulse Response Correction) is by Dirac, and has got to be one of the easiest programs to set up I've seen. It was the best audio upgrade per dollar that I've ever made.

Lee

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks, nice reply. Advantages of dsp aside, dots the sound stage depth and width improve with servers like s10, lumin, auraliti, bada, etc?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Thanks, nice reply. Advantages of dsp aside, dots the sound stage depth and width improve with servers like s10, lumin, auraliti, bada, etc?
If you are looking to make a huge improvement in your system, look elsewhere. Servers will only yield minor improvements (at best) in comparison to all of the other things that could be done to improve the items you mention.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing