Capacitor-less & choke-less tube amplifiers and preamps?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
To all tube experts... can you name tube amplifier and preamplifier designs that feature NO capacitors or chokes (an output transformer is a choke to me) in their signal paths, except those in the power supply... Curious... thanks

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I can't think of a single one.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
So I wonder how they block the DC?

good question. its not like SS where they use servos for dc offset. Dan wouldn't warranty the early krells if you used a tube preamp upstream, he claimed even with caps they could pass dc (?).

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
good question. its not like SS where they use servos for dc offset. Dan wouldn't warranty the early krells if you used a tube preamp upstream, he claimed even with caps they could pass dc (?).

They can still leak some DC which will be amplified which is why Dan probably took that stance.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Actually it was one tube pre-amplifier in particular that was a popular combination with Dan's amps back then. And no, it had nothing to do with DC leakage; it had to do with the outright failure of the output coupling caps. So you had all the DC you wanted and Dan's amplifier were rated DC to infinity :) You can figure out the rest I'm sure :(

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Futterman and other OTL amps use a servo circuit at the output to suppress D.C. I designed some preamp and power amp circuits that were d.c.-coupled but it did not improve the sound enough (if at all) to offset the decreased reliability (one glitch in the servo circuit and boom!)

A lot of tube preamps exhibited very high LF energy at the outputs as they warmed up. My old Audio Research SP3a1 does, I know (from painful experience).

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
All in all, no transformers, no caps in the signal path, no chokes is a very dangerous proposition.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
There are not such tube preamps or amps that I am aware of.

Our amps and preamps have direct-coupled inputs and outputs FWIW. We have a patent on how the preamp does its direct-coupled outputs. Its safe with Krells too :)....

When you have direct coupling from input to output you have a problem with the power supply. This is sort of a design engineering rule FWIW... anyway the problem is that the power supply should have Low Frequency bandwidth that goes lower than that of the circuit that is using it. When you direct-couple, the timing constant of the circuit is lower than that of the power supply. At that point it is possible to modulate the power supply with noise from the amplifier. This creates intermodulations in the amplifier- not a desirable quality. So it is good engineering practice to limit the LF cutoff of the circuit to something higher than that of the power supply. For this reason we limit the low end of our amps and preamps to 1 or 2Hz (full power) depending on the amp or preamp in question. That way we don't modulate the supplies and we also have no phase shift in the audio passband (10x the cutoff frequency being the rule of thumb) so we can do 20Hz with no squarewave tilt- something unusual in tube circuitry in general. By eliminating the phase shift you get more apparent impact, even though the response curve at 20Hz and up is the same as another circuit with less LF bandwidth.

Sorry if this got overly technical...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I think your only chance is an OTL from the likes of GRAAF, which I believe also have no output capacitors...however, there might be caps between stages.

Otherwise, you need to look at a hybrid amp. I have a NAT Symbiosis SE, which is pretty unusual in the hifi world. It is single ended and hybrid. It uses tubes for gain and driver and a SINGLE big industrial MOSFET for the output stage. Naturally it runs Class A, has no feedback and also is completely direct coupled from input to output. Generates a ton of heat, has huge heat sinks, especially when you consider that it is one huge heatsink for one transistor and puts out 100 watts into 8 or 4 ohms (power supply switches not transformer taps as there are none!).

So, it is basically a Single ended OTL where the output tube has been replaced by a beastly industrial MOSFET.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing