Stephen Colbert Named Letterman Replacement

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
By Aly Weisman, Business Insider

Comedy Central's "Colbert Report" host Stephen Colbert has just been named David Letterman's successor on CBS' "Late Show."

The network just tweeted the news: " Stephen Colbert to be next host of "The Late Show."

Colbert signed a 5-year agreement, starting when Letterman retires next year.

Read the official press release from CBS below:

The CBS Television Network today announced that Stephen Colbert, the host, writer and executive producer of the Emmy and Peabody Award-winning “The Colbert Report,” will succeed David Letterman as the host of THE LATE SHOW, effective when Mr. Letterman retires from the broadcast. The five-year agreement between CBS and Colbert was announced by Leslie Moonves, President and CEO, CBS Corporation, and Nina Tassler, Chairman of CBS Entertainment.

Letterman, the legendary, critically acclaimed host of the CBS late night series for 21 years, announced his retirement on his April 3 broadcast . Colbert’s premiere date as host of THE LATE SHOW will be announced after Mr. Lettermen determines a timetable for his final broadcasts in 2015.

Specific creative elements, as well as the producers and the location for the Colbert-hosted LATE SHOW, will be determined and announced at a later date.

“Stephen Colbert is one of the most inventive and respected forces on television,” said Moonves. “David Letterman’s legacy and accomplishments are an incredible source of pride for all of us here, and today’s announcement speaks to our commitment of upholding what he established for CBS in late night.”

“Stephen is a multi-talented and respected host, writer, producer, satirist and comedian who blazes a trail of thought-provoking conversation, humor and innovation with everything he touches,” said Tassler. ”He is a presence on every stage, with interests and notable accomplishments across a wide spectrum of entertainment, politics, publishing and music. We welcome Stephen to CBS with great pride and excitement, and look forward to introducing him to our network television viewers in late night.”

“Simply being a guest on David Letterman’s show has been a highlight of my career,” said Colbert. “I never dreamed that I would follow in his footsteps, though everyone in late night follows Dave’s lead.”

Adding, “I’m thrilled and grateful that CBS chose me. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go grind a gap in my front teeth.”

Since its launch on Comedy Central in 2005, “The Colbert Report” has received widespread critical acclaim while earning two Peabody Awards and 27 Emmy nominations, including an Emmy win for Outstanding Variety Series (2013) and three Emmy wins for Outstanding Writing for a Variety, Music or Comedy Program (2013, 2010, 2008). Prior to that, Colbert spent eight years as a correspondent on Comedy Central’s “The Daily Show” as an on-air personality and writer of news satire for the Emmy and Peabody Award-winning series.

In addition, Colbert is an accomplished author, with two books, I AM AMERICA (and So Can You!) and AMERICA AGAIN: Re-Becoming the Greatness We Never Weren’t , appearing on the New York Times best-seller list. AMERICA AGAIN also won a Grammy Award for Spoken Word (2014).

In music, Colbert’s original holiday musical special on Comedy Central, “A Colbert Christmas,” won a Grammy Award for Best Comedy Album (2009) and Emmy nominations for Art Direction, Picture Editing and Original Music and Lyrics. In April 2011, Colbert starred as Harry in the New York Philharmonic presentation of Stephen Sondheim’s “Company.”

After graduating from Northwestern University, Colbert was a member of Chicago’s acclaimed Second City improv troupe with Amy Sedaris and Paul Dinello. The trio later created and starred in the CableAce-nominated sketch comedy series, “Exit 57,” and created the cult-hit narrative series “Strangers with Candy,” both for Comedy Central.

Colbert has appeared on series such as HBO’s “Curb Your Enthusiasm” and NBC’s “Law & Order: Criminal Intent.” He was also a cast member and writer on ABC’s “The Dana Carvey Show,” wrote for “Saturday Night Live” and voiced roles in DreamWorks’ animated films “Mr. Peabody and Sherman” and “Monsters vs. Aliens.”

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Well, that'll be worth staying up for.

Tim

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Colbert is hilarious. Good choice CBS.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Gosh, do I live under some rock. I never heard of the guy. Guess you can figure out the only thing I watch on TV is (US) Football and the Tour de France.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
It will be interesting to see if he is a success. For some reason that I can't explain, I think he will flop. I always found it odd that Jay Leno consistently beat David Letterman in the ratings and yet the NBC executives couldn't wait to show him the door.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
It will be interesting to see if he is a success. For some reason that I can't explain, I think he will flop. I always found it odd that Jay Leno consistently beat David Letterman in the ratings and yet the NBC executives couldn't wait to show him the door.

I tend to agree.

I think Stephen Colbert is presently the host for a niche show and I don't think he will have the mass appeal of the other hosts. If he did, people would be watching him now instead of the other options.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I tend to agree.

I think Stephen Colbert is presently the host for a niche show and I don't think he will have the mass appeal of the other hosts. If he did, people would be watching him now instead of the other options.

He is too political. Leans way too left to get a balanced audience.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Its about demographics - the networks (and their advertisers) are looking for a younger late night talk show audience.

Stewart and Colbert on Comedy Central regularly pulled higher ratings than Leno and Letterman in the 18 to 49 demographic.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...men-18-49-men-18-34-and-men-18-201475481.html

I don't regularly watch late night talk shows but I have watched the Jimmy Fallon and Jimmy Kimmel shows. My preference now would be Kimmel. I'll check out Colbert, too.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think of myself as center-right but I still think Colbert is funny. He's an equal opportunity offender. LOL.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I think of myself as center-right but I still think Colbert is funny. He's an equal opportunity offender. LOL.
Compared to some members here you are probably far left...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing