What Audio Research power amps have you owned or admired?

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
ARC has a 40 year history of making power amps. In particular, some of the tube models have been iconic products that are still interesting decades later. When I look at an old D-79 I just shake my head -- it is a massive industrial-looking product that looks like it could get a second job as an arc welder. But it only puts out about 60 watts per channel. The D-79 represents an overkill approach that is entertaining just to look at.

http://www.arcdb.ws/D79/D79.html

I have a D-70 II from the 1980s with the same power output. It has considerably fewer parts than the D-79 but still works perfectly. The only issue is that the bias setting procedure may be the least friendly of any tube amp.

http://www.arcdb.ws/D70/D70.html

What ARC amps have you owned and what are your favorite ones?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Last ARC power amp I owned was the Ref 600 Mklll's at 600 wpc. Each amp had 31 tubes which with my ARC Ref 3 Preamp (8 tubes) put out so much heat that listening in the summer weather was challenging until I ultimately added a 3rd central AC in my house dedicated for only my listening room.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Last ARC power amp I owned was the Ref 600 Mklll's at 600 wpc. Each amp had 31 tubes which with my ARC Ref 3 Preamp (8 tubes) put out so much heat that listening in the summer weather was challenging until I ultimately added a 3rd central AC in my house dedicated for only my listening room.

LOL..and you don't have winter out there :)

I've liked quite a few but one that stuck in my mind were the old M100 monoblocks. A good friend used them on the top end of his highly modded and possibly the best sounding Infinity RS1bs (he used the cj Premier 1 on the bass towers). That amplifier was light, airy and did a great job at recreating soundspace on tape and LP (he was using at that time also the SP10 and a prototype Basis table/ETII arm/Carnegie cartridge (I think). Now I don't know what it did in the bass since it was only driving the speakers about roughly 120 Hz or so.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
My first "real" amp was the ARC D-76. I loved that amp and owned it for years. It never game me a minute of trouble. It replaced a Dynaco ST-70 that I had bought from the original owner. The ST-70 was a boy trying to do a man's job in comparison to the D-76. The D-76 had balls and authority. I briefly owned a D-76A but ARC decided to mount the bias jacks upside down so that you had to remove the bottom of the amp in order to jack in and set your bias. The D-76 had the jacks mounted correctly on the top and you just had to worry about burning your fingers as you plugged in the jack to your meter. I also owned a D-70 MKII and it was a nice amp. However, as Jay said, the bias scheme for the D-70 was horrible. I would dare say it was almost criminal in that it was dangerous and a total pain in the ass. There is no doubt that ARC did that on purpose to discourage owners from setting the bias themselves and forcing them to take it to their dealer or send it back to ARC. I also owned the ARC VT-100 MKII which is also a nightmare to set the bias on. You have to remove a million screws from the top plate and another million from both side plates in order to set the bias. I find that to be a fatally flawed design. Compare that to the Quicksilver V4 amps which I also owned where I could bias each amp in under a minute. The ARC VT-100 MKII also had some strange interaction with my Def Tech BP7000SC speakers which would start a feedback howl with the subs. I sold the ARC and never looked back. I now own a Defy 7 MKII and it is the best amp I have ever owned.

Mark

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
My first "real" amp was the ARC D-76. I loved that amp and owned it for years. It never game me a minute of trouble. It replaced a Dynaco ST-70 that I had bought from the original owner. The ST-70 was a boy trying to do a man's job in comparison to the D-76. The D-76 had balls and authority. I briefly owned a D-76A but ARC decided to mount the bias jacks upside down so that you had to remove the bottom of the amp in order to jack in and set your bias. The D-76 had the jacks mounted correctly on the top and you just had to worry about burning your fingers as you plugged in the jack to your meter. I also owned a D-70 MKII and it was a nice amp. However, as Jay said, the bias scheme for the D-70 was horrible. I would dare say it was almost criminal in that it was dangerous and a total pain in the ass. There is no doubt that ARC did that on purpose to discourage owners from setting the bias themselves and forcing them to take it to their dealer or send it back to ARC. I also owned the ARC VT-100 MKII which is also a nightmare to set the bias on. You have to remove a million screws from the top plate and another million from both side plates in order to set the bias. I find that to be a fatally flawed design. Compare that to the Quicksilver V4 amps which I also owned where I could bias each amp in under a minute. The ARC VT-100 MKII also had some strange interaction with my Def Tech BP7000SC speakers which would start a feedback howl with the subs. I sold the ARC and never looked back. I now own a Defy 7 MKII and it is the best amp I have ever owned.

Mark

Mark-

Have to say that all the tube amps that I've had in over the years were a breeze to bias: cj, VAC, sonic frontier, Unison and a few others.

What tubes are you using in your Defy?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Myles-The tube set I am using now came from Ram Labs and I am running SED 6550 output tubes. When it is time for a new set, I may switch to KT-88 tubes.

Mark

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
My first ARC experience was the SP-10 with a D-79. Finally i could see what all the fuss was about.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
My first ARC experience was the SP-10 with a D-79. Finally i could see what all the fuss was about.

The SP10 I think was ARC's only dual mono preamp. Just a touch of an edge in its day but my friends who owned it complained about it eating vintage tubes like it was going out of style (like the Art Ferris's Audible Illusions)! The only tubes that seem to have a shot are the ARC supplied 6922 EHs. Funny thing, I've had a 6922 EH fail recently in my amp--and I 've never had a signal tube die. One triode completely died-at first couldn't figure out why was getting just a whisper out of one channel and the protective fuse was fine. Finally traced the problem down to the amp, took out the 6922s on a lark--and lo and behold, one of two triodes was shot. I've also had some of these latest 6922s go a little noisy but on the whole they seem to last ok.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
For Audio Research lovers both old and new this is the only site to visit when you want to talk everything Audio Research

http://www.arcdb.ws/

Very nice link and database! Great for the ARC fan and owner!

And to think of all the ARC amps have heard over the many years! Dual 75, D76, D90, D250, M100, Classic 30, 60, 150, VT100, Ref. 610T. Now that's a lot of amps. Also got me to also thinking about the Classic 30. Now that was one sweet little amp on the right speaker!

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I had ARC D115 MKIIs with SP 10 MKII. Then ARC D125 with SP-14. Now using an ARC VS110 though with a Jadis JPL line stage, then into an ARC Ph3 Phono stage. I have SED KT88s on the VS110.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
For Audio Research lovers both old and new this is the only site to visit when you want to talk everything Audio Research

http://www.arcdb.ws/

Yes, great link. And the owner of the site is a real fan of ARC, and one time was kind enough to answer some questions I had about ARC pre amps.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
The Ref 210 monos are my first ARC amps and they're the best I've ever owned. My previous amp was auto bias -- I don't find the ARC scheme a hassle at all. Have a Ref 5 preamp coming, looking forward to the combo.

Last edited:

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Any idea of the MSRP?

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Thx -- didn't see it anywhere. With the purchase of a pair of Scaena 3.2s, I'm a bit tapped out on audio spending at the moment. BTW, kudos for starting this site.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The SP10 I think was ARC's only dual mono preamp. Just a touch of an edge in its day but my friends who owned it complained about it eating vintage tubes like it was going out of style (like the Art Ferris's Audible Illusions)! The only tubes that seem to have a shot are the ARC supplied 6922 EHs. Funny thing, I've had a 6922 EH fail recently in my amp--and I 've never had a signal tube die. One triode completely died-at first couldn't figure out why was getting just a whisper out of one channel and the protective fuse was fine. Finally traced the problem down to the amp, took out the 6922s on a lark--and lo and behold, one of two triodes was shot. I've also had some of these latest 6922s go a little noisy but on the whole they seem to last ok.

I don't remember whether the SP-10 was dual mono or had a separate power supply. It definitely ate more tubes than an Atma-Sphere amp.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing