What Audio Research power amps have you owned or admired?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
HI,
Yes, all the comments above are true. The old tube testers, Hickox in particular, were very good. I have seen them on ebay in a refurbished form. While expensive, they are not out of reach for someone who has managed to afford ARC.

I made a point of collecting all the tube manuals I could lay my hands on. I have a good collection. At one point VTL published a white paper that included some of the best information for tubes used in VTL equipment I have seen. These included types that were also commonly used by other manufacturers such as 6922's, KT88's, and 6550's. If you can find one I suggest you latch onto it.

All of this points to a problem. Moving into tube equipment involves more than simply buying an amplifier. One needs a support system. This used to not be a problem. But now it certainly can be. Many folks, new to tubes, are shocked to find that, to some extent, they are on their own. Tube equipment requires more TLC than, for example, Krell. It is also helpful to have a technical background. Many tube users are completely helpless when their expensive tube products bestow their inevitable problems.

I know I am biased (no pun!) but I think buying relatively inexpensive and unknown tube equipment is a gamble only the inexperienced are willing to take. Experience will teach that buying a well known name such as ARC, CJ, or VTL, a few others, will pay off in the long run because of the excellent support provided by those manufacturers. Also, these companies tend to produce very reliable designs. For many, the factory is the only reliable support system available.

Sparky

One used to be able to pick up tube testers at military auctions. Not sure if is true anymore. Got my Hickok for $75 :)

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Back in 1998 I had for a short time 2 VT100 driving my Audio Artistry Dvorak dipole speakers (one for main panel and one for the dipol bass). Very special and good sound but the heat from 2 VT100 was simply to much even for me living in cold Sweden!

The agent for Audio Artistry was setting up the system while me and mý wife was away for the evening. We get back much earlier that we have said finding the agent i his underpants due to the heat in the room. He found it very embarrasing but since we afterwards become close friends we have had many laughs of the incident- And the sound was truly fantastic!!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Yes, the VT 100 can put out some heat. But the Mark IIs and higher have fans and you can easily add on to the Mark I.

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Several of my friends has VT100 mk 1 and mk II back in late 90ies. They where convinced that the Mark 1 was better than the MKLII. I don t know about MkIII

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I had a VT-100 MKII and sold it because of the way crazy bias procedure. The amp top plate has a zillion screws and the side plates have a couple zillion more. You have to remove the top and both sides to bias this amp. And this isn't a simple bias procedure after you disassemble the amp either. That's why Kevin Deal from Upscale Audio refuses to sell tubes sets for any of the VT-100 series amps.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yes, the VT 100 can put out some heat. But the Mark IIs and higher have fans and you can easily add on to the Mark I.

On the subject on fans on tube amps, I understand built in fans for some amps act as suction or exhaust rather than directly blowing to cool the tubes and amp. I read long time ago that directly blowing air from a fan into tubes can cause cracks or micro cracks to the tubes. Is this really correct? I've seen a few people here using an electric fan to directly blow towards the amp to dissipate the heat around it but so far have not heard anyone having tube failure with this practice.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
On the subject on fans on tube amps, I understand built in fans for some amps act as suction or exhaust rather than directly blowing to cool the tubes and amp. I read long time ago that directly blowing air from a fan into tubes can cause cracks or micro cracks to the tubes. Is this really correct? I've seen a few people here using an electric fan to directly blow towards the amp to dissipate the heat around it but so far have not heard anyone having tube failure with this practice.

Yes, I believe the fans pull the heat away but I have a Mark I with no fan so I am not 100%.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Yes, the fan is used to create a chimney effect and blow the heat out of the amp. The fan was never intended to blow cool air onto the tubes.

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI jadis,
Maybe the idea that a direct air flow on the tubes is bad has merit but my D250 does not seem to suffer problems. The four fans are horizontally mounted at the very bottom of the chassis and blows air directly vertically. They constitute a nearly continuous fan surface almost the size of the bottom of the chassis. They are fairly large fans.

The tubes (all 32 of them) are mounted horizontally directly in the air flow. The fans are low volume types for low noise and don't move a huge amount of air. They are pretty quiet. If you place your hand over the covers vent holes you will feel air flow but its not a blast. The fans are pretty effective because the cover never gets hot enough to burn your hand. It's warm but not hot.

I would say that this scheme is not based on a chimney effect.

There is only a single fan speed; well two, on and off. If the amp is turned on the fans operate continuously, even in standby.

Sparky

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Well, heat rises. The fans are mounted in the bottom of the amp and the heat vents through the top. I would call that a chimney effect. It really doesn't matter anyway. The fans are there to help draw the heat out of the inside of the amp and allow it to run cooler. How's that for an explanation?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
HI jadis,
Maybe the idea that a direct air flow on the tubes is bad has merit but my D250 does not seem to suffer problems. The four fans are horizontally mounted at the very bottom of the chassis and blows air directly vertically. They constitute a nearly continuous fan surface almost the size of the bottom of the chassis.

Sparky

Hi Sparky,

In your D250, that answers my question as now I hear a case where the fans, though not high powered, are blowing directly upwards against the tubes, as opposed to blowing downwards which will have an exhaust fan effect throwing the heat downwards. Thanks for sharing.

yern

Jul 20, 2011
Wellington, FL.
http://www.maximatcher.com/maximatcher.html

The maximatcher is a modern output tube tester.

I have an ARC D70 Mk II, I biased it myself, based on the owner's manual. This is the first time I've biased a tube amp. I've never done it before. The trick is to get to the test points easily. With the amp off, I used minigrabbers to access the TP pairs.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

I have an ARC D70 Mk II, I biased it myself, based on the owner's manual. This is the first time I've biased a tube amp. I've never done it before. The trick is to get to the test points easily. With the amp off, I used minigrabbers to access the TP pairs.

It's a $600 investment. How accurate are they at that price

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
It's a $600 investment. How accurate are they at that price

Measurement Functions Plate Current (Ip) Range: 0 to 120.0 mA DC, ± 1.5 %
Transconductance (Gm) Range: 0 to 19.99 millimhos,
± 1.5 %

I don't think there's anything current that is more accurate other than the Amplitrex. Old testers always need to be calibrated and don't work at real world voltages.

Thing is, most tubes need a 48 hr burn in before testing and optimally, should be tested in the circuit being used. But if you're using NOS tubes, that's not an option; in addition, if you use something like a cj amp (unlike say VTL), there's no way of telling which output tube failed when the protective fuse blows (unless you're lucky enough to see which tube goes cherry red).

Theduker

Mar 6, 2014
As far as I know, you're well advised to replace the caps in these many of these old amps you folks are mentioning. If there is any hum In the amp whatsoever, even if you almost didn't know it was there at all, replacing the filter caps (mains caps, power caps, the BIG electrolytics) on your amplifiers can cause it to magically disappear. To all vintage ARC and VTL owners I urge you to do this. Digikey. Come on in, the water's fine! You'll be amazed at how quiet your amps will be.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Now that the amplifier is properly biased measure and register the voltage between the 4 ohm and 0 ohm and between the 4 ohm and 16 ohm terminals without the speaker cables. You can use these points to check or re-bias next time without the minigrabers.

Most testers measure the tubes too far from the ARC operation points - Vanode = 420 V and Icathode = 65 mA

robertk

Mar 11, 2016
Bought a new d120 solid state when it first came out. And with it a new sp-8 pre-amp. A d76a amp. Started my son's high end journey===got him a d76/ls 1 preamp/and he uses that d120 in his bi-amped audio research setup. He uses cd's and I am all vinyl.

I have used their products-- collectively, added up-- for 80 years. In that time--aside from tube replacement--a total of 5 repairs. And the re-tubing costs exceeded the repair costs.

So I am all in on the older Audio Research equipment anyway.

Last edited:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I just found out something re the biasing of modern ARC amps. For example, they ask you to set the bias of the V1 tube at 65mA, and check its partner V3 tube so that it is in the 57-73mA range. My latest re tubing caused one set to be at 65mA for the first tube and 76mA for its partner tube. I felt uncomfortable with the 76 reading so I wrote ARC and the they said I can actually lower the 65mA so that its partner tube goes down to the 73 or below level. That the 65mA can stray within a +/-7mA level. That I never knew before.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing