Phonostage for Lyra Titan i

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles you seem to be in the know I have a Atlas on order their is some question if Lyra can or will supply my dealer is not certified Lyra dealer thou he has sold a fair number over the years. Any way I am if it arrives mounting it on the newest version of the triplaner arm with a Clear audio statement and a Burmester 100 phono. In your opinion is this a good match as much as I like the sound of tubes I have moved on to the best solid state I can manage . My pre and power are Ayre with CLXs . Not trying to high jack the thread on titan just seemed like close question to the titan.

Thanks Garth

Hi Garth,

Gary here has more experience with the Burmester gear than I. :)

But the beauty of the Atlas is that its output should be compatible with any modern phono stage. I just think the two technologies will give you different but good results. SS will be quieter and that lower noise floor will give you better resolution. On the whole, SS will also be a bit tighter and dynamic in the bottom end. Tube on the hand will give you that beautiful midrange, greater resolution and dimensionality.

In the end, it's much like JZDA said about tape decks. The best sounding analog front-end is the best set-up front-end. :) Both bring you to Rome, just via different routes.

Garth

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Hi Garth,

Gary here has more experience with the Burmester gear than I. :)

But the beauty of the Atlas is that its output should be compatible with any modern phono stage. I just think the two technologies will give you different but good results. SS will be quieter and that lower noise floor will give you better resolution. On the whole, SS will also be a bit tighter and dynamic in the bottom end. Tube on the hand will give you that beautiful midrange, greater resolution and dimensionality.

In the end, it's much like JZDA said about tape decks. The best sounding analog front-end is the best set-up front-end. :) Both bring you to Rome, just via different routes.

I agree with what you say, some people have very little trouble with their tube gear others have a lot. I was in camp two. Tubes can freeze time and space so can SS but it is not with the same ease. Some years ago I was listening in the dark to my premier 1 driving infinity QLS the whole end of the room got brighter like a mini Chernobyl the light got dim the sound went into a black hole a few seconds of a small flame. The smell of burnt boards and the only sound in the room was a female voice right behind me saying and how much is that going to cost. For me that Voice is the sound of tubes.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I agree with what you say, some people have very little trouble with their tube gear others have a lot. I was in camp two. Tubes can freeze time and space so can SS but it is not with the same ease. Some years ago I was listening in the dark to my premier 1 driving infinity QLS the whole end of the room got brighter like a mini Chernobyl the light got dim the sound went into a black hole a few seconds of a small flame. The smell of burnt boards and the only sound in the room was a female voice right behind me saying and how much is that going to cost. For me that Voice is the sound of tubes.

Youch! Sure it wasn't funny then but next to last line is priceless! :)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
We have run both the Atlas and Titan into the Burmester - with wonderful results. The advantage of the Ph100 is that you get both adjustable gain and loading on a remote control. Experiment with both the overall output gain (+6dB available) as well as the input gain (+57dB to +72dB). It made a big difference when I was trying it with different cartridges and different preamps.

Garth

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
We have run both the Atlas and Titan into the Burmester - with wonderful results. The advantage of the Ph100 is that you get both adjustable gain and loading on a remote control. Experiment with both the overall output gain (+6dB available) as well as the input gain (+57dB to +72dB). It made a big difference when I was trying it with different cartridges and different preamps.
I have found it to be a great phono amp easy to use sounds great a friend of mine got one after hearing mine. I think he got it right when said not only does it do every thing right I just like listing to it.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have found it to be a great phono amp easy to use sounds great a friend of mine got one after hearing mine. I think he got it right when said not only does it do every thing right I just like listing to it.

+1 - it just manages to get out of the way of my enjoyment of music :)

Garth

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
+1 - it just manages to get out of the way of my enjoyment of music :)

I agree have you any thoughts on the 111 music centre I have now the Ayre KXR which I can update to the 20 for about 10 grand or look at other options. With some effort I might be able to get the 111 for a demo.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I agree have you any thoughts on the 111 music centre I have now the Ayre KXR which I can update to the 20 for about 10 grand or look at other options. With some effort I might be able to get the 111 for a demo.

You should try that. Besides being an excellent (albeit expensive) music server, it is an excellent preamp. I build my own server, so I don't have a use for the 111.

Garth

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Phono

You should try that. Besides being an excellent (albeit expensive) music server, it is an excellent preamp. I build my own server, so I don't have a use for the 111.

I will wait till I have the Atlas in and broken in. I have not heard a Ayre 20 as yet people seem to like them how it would compare to the Burmester 111 who knows . Thanks for you input

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing