Phonostage for Lyra Titan i

Pierre

Jun 18, 2012
Denmark
Hello

I have been thinking if its time to upgrade my phonostage.... I'm using the one thats in my Hovland HP200p.
I dont know if thats the best phono for my Lyra Titan i cart. Or if it a great phono at all.

So thats why i was thinking that its was time to do some listining on differents phonostage. But witch are a good match to my Lyra? Or is the phonostage in my Hovland good enough?

Thanks.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
You'll likely just get people's preference or commercial suggestions, but you really just need to listen to as many as you can to get an idea, preferably in your own system.

I tend to be fan boy prejudiced, but I think the Allnic 1500 LCR phono is one of the best "banging on the cusp of high end" bang for bucks out there. The more recent models have lots of loading options. I ran one many years ago with a Lyra predecessor, and it worked very well.

Young Skywalker

Apr 30, 2012
Hi Pierre,

The Lamm LP2 Deluxe is an excellent phono preamplifier in absolute terms and particularly well suited to both the healthy output voltage of the Lyra Titan and that cartridge's internal impedance (given the Lamm's internal Jensen step-up transformers).

I have not heard the latest LP2.1 Deluxe which now uses Russian tubes as opposed to Western Electric 417As (or their Raytheon equivalents, the 5842) of the LP2 Deluxe.

You will have to source a LP2 Deluxe on dealer run out or on the used market. While you are at it, you might also look at picking up a Lamm LL2 Deluxe or LL2.1 Deluxe linestage to accompany the Lamm LP2 phono preamp.

You might also reconsider your choice of tonearm with the Titan. All Lyra cartridges, and this is especially true of the Titan which has a reputation for sounding harmonically thin and/or brash in the upper frequencies, transfer a great deal of energy into the tonearm. Tonearms with tight bearings (and no more bearings than is necessary to confer stability) will always provide the best performance with such a cartridge, this is not about personal preferences but physics. A better technical match with your tonearm would be a Transfiguration or ZYX cartridge.

If you really want to hear what the Titan can do then pick up a used Fidelity Research FR-64S tonearm and an Ikeda (used), Orsonic (used), or Acoustical Systems Arché (new) headshell.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
You already have the Pass amp so get the XP-25 and be done with it!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
All good feedback above...I've had GREAT results with a Lyra Skala and Lyra Atlas with my Nagra VPS/VFS. I've also heard the Allnic H3000v in my system...very good performer also...Nagra being more transparent in the mids and top, Allnic more demential and more organic/deeper bass.

It's a good lesson on how both can sound great...just a bit different. I could be happy with either...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My Atlas loves my Lamm LP2D :D

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I thought that Lyra had a somewhat legendary solid state unit of their own at one time. I guess the problem would be availability.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I thought that Lyra had a somewhat legendary solid state unit of their own at one time. I guess the problem would be availability.

Long, long out of production due to European Environmental laws. And it was around $25K when available.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Long, long out of production due to European Environmental laws. And it was around $25K when available.

Was it because of the lead in the solder?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Was it because of the lead in the solder?

I don't believe so.

Not available. Production has been discontinued since 2007 because new European ROHS rules outlawing certain substances in all electronic parts and products sold in the EU caused many parts manufacturers to discontinue critical parts used in the Lyra Connoisseur preamplifiers. Even though the ROHS laws only concern the EU, the worldwide discontinuation of critical parts, which were never replaced by ROHS-approved equivalents, caused that LYRA was forced to stop production of the Lyra Connoisseur preamplifiers alltogether. Full service & support available. Also, on a case by case basis we are able to upgrade older 4-series versions to 4-2 SE level.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
RHOS compliant usually means no lead.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Personally I find the Lyra cartridges sound better with excellent tube phono stages. Makes the most of Lyra's transparency, speed and couples it with that tube magic and extension that happens in the upper frequencies of the better tube phono stages.

Rings true in my system at least

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
Personally I find the Lyra cartridges sound better with excellent tube phono stages. Makes the most of Lyra's transparency, speed and couples it with that tube magic and extension that happens in the upper frequencies of the better tube phono stages.

Rings true in my system at least

I'll second that! A little less extravagant but my Kleos SL loves my Chinook with Amperex 7308's. My PASS Alephono was nice, but the Manley is Magic:)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have yet to hear a bad phono stage with the Titan. Way I interpret it is that each phono stage brings out a different aspect of the cartridge eg low end, transparency, staging, etc.

Last edited:

Garth

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Lyra atlas

I have yet to hear a bad phono stage with the Titan. Way I interpret it is that each phono stage brings out a different aspect of the cartridge eg low end, transparency, staging, etc.

Myles you seem to be in the know I have a Atlas on order their is some question if Lyra can or will supply my dealer is not certified Lyra dealer thou he has sold a fair number over the years. Any way I am if it arrives mounting it on the newest version of the triplaner arm with a Clear audio statement and a Burmester 100 phono. In your opinion is this a good match as much as I like the sound of tubes I have moved on to the best solid state I can manage . My pre and power are Ayre with CLXs . Not trying to high jack the thread on titan just seemed like close question to the titan.

Thanks Garth

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing