United Home Audio Phase 11S deck has been ordered

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I'd rather have one Armani suit than twenty store brand suits. Besides how many do you actually listen to? It's nice to have 10,000 LPs but how many of those do you actually play? Usually but a fraction of that number. And it's not just availability but price. 150 reels is no small investment. It's certainly many times what Christian paid for his new deck.

And what might your suggestion be on how to increase availability?

Could be quite interesting to go to a job with the same suit everyday ....

So out of however number of record you may have, you find listening to only 150 of these satisfying? Curious perspective for a music lover.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I think a tape collection of around 100 mastertape copies is perfect. I agree with Myles, quality over quantity.

Quality of what? Really ?

Giving you the pass that R2R is supreme (an opinion I don't share), you, also, feel that owning only 100 albums will satisfy your music quest? Your love of music? Because that is what those statements: yours and those from Myles (which I quoted in an earlier post) imply.

Quality over quantity?

100 Albums!!!

BTW the price I see make this this product a bargain in the ethereal world of High End Audio. $30K is IMHO a very pedestrian price for a machine that aspires to be among the ultimate in analog reproduction. If it only matches what I heard from a A810 recently it is above anything I have ever heard from any turntable, although my latest experience with TOL LP gear is limited . Still...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Quality of what? Really ?

Giving you the pass that R2R is supreme (an opinion I don't share), you, also, feel that owning only 100 albums will satisfy your music quest? Your love of music? Because that is what those statements: yours and those from Myles (which I quoted in an earlier post) imply.

Quality over quantity?

100 Albums!!!

BTW the price I see make this this product a bargain in the ethereal world of High End Audio. $30K is IMHO a very pedestrian price for a machine that aspires to be among the ultimate in analog reproduction. If it only matches what I heard from a A810 recently it is above anything I have ever heard from any turntable, although my latest experience with TOL LP gear is limited . Still...

Frantz,

The audiophile hobby is not only a music quest - it is also a search for supreme (using your words) sound reproduction - the supreme illusion.
I listen most of the time to CDs, but for the exceptional moments my collection of Tape Project tapes is really great! The LPs are also mainly for my music quest.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Could be quite interesting to go to a job with the same suit everyday ....

So out of however number of record you may have, you find listening to only 150 of these satisfying? Curious perspective for a music lover.

Thanks for completely taking everything out of context, not to mention trying to start another digital vs. analog train wreck.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Thanks for completely taking everything out of context, not to mention trying to start another digital vs. analog train wreck.

You're welcome..

Did I misquote you? Your words,exactly:

"Quality over Quantity"

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
You're welcome..

Did I misquote you? Your words,exactly:

"Quality over Quantity"

You must be a mind reader. Where did I say that?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I'd rather have one Armani suit than twenty store brand suits. Besides how many do you actually listen to? It's nice to have 10,000 LPs but how many of those do you actually play? Usually but a fraction of that number. And it's not just availability but price. 150 reels is no small investment. It's certainly many times what Christian paid for his new deck.

And what might your suggestion be on how to increase availability?

The reason that I, and I suspect many other a'philes, aren't buying into RtoR is because there simply isn't enough music available on tape. While I agree that the quality can be there, the selection simply isn't.That might change, BUT IME it is a factor right now.
BTW, how does the amount that Christian paid for his tapes have any relevancy?? :confused:

Agree with Frantz, IF you are a music lover first....then selection is going to be important to you; OTOH IF your a gear slinger and you just want to listen to one piece over and over just for the SQ, then lack of selection is perhaps not so important!:p

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Giving you the pass that R2R is supreme (an opinion I don't share),

so if an album is mastered on reel and you get a dub of that reel, one or two generations away, you don't think it will be the superior playback medium ? I mean are you suggesting a digital copy of the master reel is better than a RTR dub from the Safety master reel ? That makes no sense. The bottom line...if it was mastered on reel, it will sound best on reel. There is no doubt as long as the RTR machine and playback amp are top notch.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
so if an album is mastered on reel and you get a dub of that reel, one or two generations away, you don't think it will be the superior playback medium ? I mean are you suggesting a digital copy of the master reel is better than a RTR dub from the Safety master reel ? That makes no sense. The bottom line...if it was mastered on reel, it will sound best on reel. There is no doubt as long as the RTR machine and playback amp are top notch.

I would avoid the digital vs analog food fight

Concerning your acquisition of this machine. In my opinion, worthwhile investment;risky if you ask me since you are flying on faith.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Frantz, I have heard the UHA deck on several occasions and it is a KILLER piece. I would have no hesitation on recommending it to anyone who is looking for a great source component ( with the proviso about the source availability). Whether it is superior to the Studer/Doshi set-up is another question.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I would avoid the digital vs analog food fight

Concerning your acquisition of this machine. In my opinion, worthwhile investment;risky if you ask me since you are flying on faith.

There is no food fight needed. Given the conditions I outlined above...Master Reel to Dub Copy Reel, there is no debate. Cheers !

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
I love tape and I've always loved tape. It's amazing, to me, that there is as much material being released on tape as there is. I have a small collection (my wife doesn't agree that it is small) of reel machines and I love them all. The UHA deck is a modern updating of the best that tape has to offer. It does everything right. It's a joy to use and to listen to. Tape may not be a logical move from some perspectives but for me it does it all.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
We should all wait for Jtinn's game changer!

I'd still like to hear Arian Jansen's deck. The superlative sounding Yarlung recordings were all done on Arian's machine.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Congrats on your acquisition :cool:
Will you have both the Studer/Doshi and UHA for comparison :confused:

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
I recently abandoned my Studer A80/Doshi pre project in favor of Greg Beron's latest masterpiece...the UHA Phase 11S Playback model with outboard power supply. I will have about a 2 month wait until it arrives. It will look like this deck when finished. I am very excited to massively elevate my tape playback experience. :cool:

Congratulations Christian. I recently heard this model.

Dre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing