Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
....and congrat's! ;)

Tom

earlinarizona

Jul 17, 2010
To Rockitman. We are anxiously waiting for your verdict and details of the sound. Could you also try to do some lengthy comparisons of some tape compared to DSD or PCM that you have. By what margin in long term listening does the tape and digital compare. Is the tape more of an organic sound compared to DSD or PCM. I consider organic the sound like many of the Fone recordings which I see is now available on tape? http://www.hdtracks.com/music/label/view/id/132/

Thanks

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
To Rockitman. We are anxiously waiting for your verdict and details of the sound. Could you also try to do some lengthy comparisons of some tape compared to DSD or PCM that you have. By what margin in long term listening does the tape and digital compare. Is the tape more of an organic sound compared to DSD or PCM. I consider organic the sound like many of the Fone recordings which I see is now available on tape? http://www.hdtracks.com/music/label/view/id/132/

Thanks

I won't be doing DSD/PCM comparo's with tape. My vinyl setup already exceed those formats, imo. In general my view is, if the title was originally mastered in analog, it will sound best remaining in that format be it tape or vinyl. Safety master tape dubs sound sublime on this deck. I still have more breakin to go before the sound completely opens up. There is no way to breakin my deck other than playing tapes as the only input to the repro preamp is the repro head itself. My deck was maximized for IEC eq and 15 ips. There is no NAB option for playback nor 7.5 ips as having those switchable options would degrade the sound. I think I also mentioned that the stock record and erase heads are completely disconnected and serve only to keep the tape path correct.

I will note that hi-rez PCM and DSD's copies of analog tape sound very good and probably are very close to analog tape. Close is not good enough for me as that violates my chosen all out assault mantra on audio reproduction.

earlinarizona

Jul 17, 2010
Now that The Rockitman machine is broken in for the last 8 months will a review be coming. How does it compare to the Studer machines you have heard and is it trouble free?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Now that The Rockitman machine is broken in for the last 8 months will a review be coming. How does it compare to the Studer machines you have heard and is it trouble free?
Completely flawless in operation. Just had some work done including a flutter roller to dispel any criticism that this transport isn't up to par with the best studer tanks. Not saying it's better than an A80 that is built for volume studio work horse duties....but is plenty strong and reliable for my home playback needs.
check out this thread...

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?17014-UHA-Phase-11S-OPS-upgrades

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing