T.H.E. Show Newport 2014-Who's Going

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Care to expand on how you know there is "Tomfoolery" going on in the up-sampling.

Davey-Did you miss all of the posts over the years from Bruce and others which described how some music that was sold as hi-rez PCM and DSD were sourced from RB files?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
You just say it's happening now without any solid proof and until you can provide that proof, then I have nothing more to say.
You have me mixed up with somebody else. DaveyF wanted to know why it is "Tomfoolery" to upsample RB files and say it sounds like hires or DSD, and I told him why it is "tomfoolery".

BTW, I think this all relates to the PSAudio DirectStream DAC

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
You have me mixed up with somebody else. DaveyF wanted to know why it is "Tomfoolery" to upsample RB files and say it sounds like hires or DSD, and I told him why it is "tomfoolery".

BTW, I think this all relates to the PSAudio DirectStream DAC

That's exactly right. The new DirectStream DAC is anything but "Tomfoolery" IMO, I heard it the other day and it is pretty impressive. Mep, you going to tell us that this DAC is "Tomfoolery" as well!!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Davey-We are talking about the provenance of digital recordings. In other words, did you get what you paid for? We are not talking about how much you like a player that converts one format to another.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Are they going to discuss all of the Tomfoolery going on with RB digital being upsampled and it suddenly becomes Hi-Rez or DSD?
Really, so this statement has NOTHING to do with the ability of a new DAC to up-sample RB into DSD... which the new PS audio is touted as doing. ( and which I believe it does a great job with).

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Really, so this statement has NOTHING to do with the ability of a new DAC to up-sample RB into DSD... which the new PS audio is touted as doing. ( and which I believe it does a great job with).

Absolutely nothing to do with it Davey. I am strictly talking about people who purchased PCM Hi-Rez files and DSD software only to later find out they didn't get what they paid for because the files came from RB files. It's not a hard concept to grasp, so I don't know why you are grasping at straws and trying to put words in my mouth about the new PS Audio unit. People that buy the PS Audio unit know what they are buying and the conversion process their files are going through. I haven't previously said one damn word about the new PS Audio machine because I haven't heard it and therefore I have no comment on how it sounds. It's not my conversation. Stick to the facts of what I said and not what you imagined I said or imagined I thought.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Your original post was a little vague then...is that what are you saying. Because at this juncture, it sure looks that way to me. BTW, talking of putting words into people's mouths, isn't that exactly what Tom accused you of on the the other thread....I believe he called it "Mark speak", LOL.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
BTW, there are at least 2 recent SACD's sourced from 16/44.1 files, MFSL's Brothers in Arms and Kiko and the Lavendar Moon (the latter might be 20/44.1). I don't think they have been represented as anything other than what they are, though.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Absolutely nothing to do with it Davey. I am strictly talking about people who purchased PCM Hi-Rez files and DSD software only to later find out they didn't get what they paid for because the files came from RB files. It's not a hard concept to grasp, so I don't know why you are grasping at straws and trying to put words in my mouth about the new PS Audio unit. People that buy the PS Audio unit know what they are buying and the conversion process their files are going through. I haven't previously said one damn word about the new PS Audio machine because I haven't heard it and therefore I have no comment on how it sounds. It's not my conversation. Stick to the facts of what I said and not what you imagined I said or imagined I thought.

Mark, this was a problem in the past, but nothing that I know of the last couple of years has been a problem.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Me too!

alexandre

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Mark, this was a problem in the past, but nothing that I know of the last couple of years has been a problem.

Bruce-That is good to know.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
I'll also be there, my first time in the US! Looking forward to it though I don't imagine i'll have much spare time to get around to hear some of the great systems that the show hosts, but I'm certain to sneak out from time to time..

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Back to the OT.... I just bought air tickets to visit the show. First audio show I've been to for 5 years without having to host a room :)
Sorry we won't be able to hear one of your great rooms! Is anyone else going to be using any of your products at the show?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Sorry we won't be able to hear one of your great rooms! Is anyone else going to be using any of your products at the show?

I've been asked to "hang out" in a couple of rooms and bring my demo music. Likely I'll be in one of the rooms with Thorens turntables or Burmester phono stages.

I look forward to meeting all WBF members - is the evening at Steve's house on the cards. I wish he had a turntable ;)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I've been asked to "hang out" in a couple of rooms and bring my demo music. Likely I'll be in one of the rooms with Thorens turntables or Burmester phono stages.

I look forward to meeting all WBF members - is the evening at Steve's house on the cards. I wish he had a turntable ;)

It is Gary and sadly I don't but still working on it (tough when you're retired)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
i got an email from the Hilton asking me if i could change Hotel's (i said no). evidently there are more exhibitors who want space and they are looking for rooms.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
i got an email from the Hilton asking me if i could change Hotel's (i said no). evidently there are more exhibitors who want space and they are looking for rooms.

Of course but what are you getting out of the deal? :) A cartridge perhaps? :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing