$7000 Shunyata Extension Cord for My Fan

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I have been at this game long enough to know and accept that there is a bit of craziness that is inherent in high end audio. Yesterday I received my latest purchase for my system from Shunyata, 5 Alpha HC power cords to replace a bunch of Anaconda's and a Typhon to augment my Triton. I had previously obtained 5 Shunyata burn-in adapters and was advised by Caelin to daisy-chain them and then plug a heavy duty fan into the terminus to expedite the burn-in process down to about 5 days rather than the painful month long process that I went through with a bunch of Alpha Digital PC's. Allegedly the Alpha HC's take even longer because of the increased amount of copper (4 strands instead of the Alpha Digital 2 strands).

It dawned on me as I looked at the net result that I had assembled a $7000 extension cord and that my fan now blows much more quietly and smoothly!!!

Since there is no way to plug the Typhon into the daisy chain because I did not realize that its cord could be disconnected and thus I am one burn-in adapter short to put that cord in the daisy-chain in addition to the other 5, I guess I will plug the Typhon into the same duplex as my amp and listen to it while it breaks in.

Attachments

• Extension cord 2.jpg
    Extension cord 2.jpg
    504.5 KB · Views: 1,145
  • Extension cord.jpg
    Extension cord.jpg
    549.9 KB · Views: 1,083

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Pretty sure no fan has been better blessed than the one in your pictures :D.

Amir,

My fan and I thank you!!! I couldn't resist putting the Typhon into the system, despite its brand new Typhon A HC PC, which is not burned in because I am one burn-in adapter short. The Typhon is plugged into the same circuit via a SR Z1 duplex as my Spectral 260, which is currently connected via a HT AC-10 PC. My system is running mostly on empty, missing 5 PC's to power amp, preamp, Triton (which means no Triton) and to the JL F113's. Granted I have some HT AC 10's running the amp and preamp and stock cords on the 113's AND there is still a huge difference moving away from a system of components and back towards music. I cannot wait to hear what the Typhon sounds like in a few days before I insert the other cords and the Triton.

Kudo's again to Caelin.

Last edited:

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Ha. Check this out. Snakepit.jpg The $18,000 daisy chain (6 x Anaconda). I started using a fan shortly after this ...

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I have been at this game long enough to know and accept that there is a bit of craziness that is inherent in high end audio. Yesterday I received my latest purchase for my system from Shunyata, 5 Alpha HC power cords to replace a bunch of Anaconda's and a Typhon to augment my Triton. I had previously obtained 5 Shunyata burn-in adapters and was advised by Caelin to daisy-chain them and then plug a heavy duty fan into the terminus to expedite the burn-in process down to about 5 days rather than the painful month long process that I went through with a bunch of Alpha Digital PC's. Allegedly the Alpha HC's take even longer because of the increased amount of copper (4 strands instead of the Alpha Digital 2 strands).

It dawned on me as I looked at the net result that I had assembled a $7000 extension cord and that my fan now blows much more quietly and smoothly!!!

Since there is no way to plug the Typhon into the daisy chain because I did not realize that its cord could be disconnected and thus I am one burn-in adapter short to put that cord in the daisy-chain in addition to the other 5, I guess I will plug the Typhon into the same duplex as my amp and listen to it while it breaks in.

Please post this on the What's Best Golf site... then we will be in equilibrium.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I couldn't stop laughing at Lee's comment... which can quickly get out of hand, like, what do you ask for when you get new power cords and have no fan

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I couldn't stop laughing at Lee's comment... which can quickly get out of hand, like, what do you ask for when you get new power cords and have no fan

You mean one way it blows and the other way it sucks? :)

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Forget the fan for conditioning. Let's step it up a notch. I daisy chained 5 Alpha HCs to one of the generators at Hoover Dam. Reduced break in time to 17 seconds. The key is to get them to glow in the dark and then pull them from the generator before they melt.

newpict1.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing