Which speakers have the best off axis performance?

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA

SoundQcar

Oct 12, 2011
Half Moon Bay, Ca
I haven't heard any better off-axis performers than the Kef LS50. I would guess that any of their Uni-Q based speakers would similarly fit the bill.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Mbl?

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
As part of my blog series on speaker off axis performance (http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/whats-new/, latest post: http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/whats-new/2014/3/5/speaker-off-axis-controlled-directivity-speakers) I've reviewed a lot of speaker off axis measurements.

The ones that I've been impressed with have been:
YG
KEF
Revel
JBL
Adam
Vivid

All of these companies obviously pay attention to what the sound is doing off axis.

Clearly Wilson and B&W don't think off axis is important.

Neil,

What do you consider " pay attention to what the sound is doing off axis"? Just because a designer does not follow the trend shown in F. Toole research does not mean he is not "paying attention" or "off axis is not important"

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Interesting thread. One of the things I noticed when I went from Martin Logan to my Wilson's was how good the Wilson's sounded, no matter where I sat in the room. With the ML's I had to sit in the sweet spot, else the sound suffered.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Interesting thread. One of the things I noticed when I went from Martin Logan to my Wilson's was how good the Wilson's sounded, no matter where I sat in the room. With the ML's I had to sit in the sweet spot, else the sound suffered.
Martin Logan speakers do many things very well, but their horizontal dispersion is admittedly limited. They attempt to overcome this by the curve of some of their ES panels, but they are known by many listeners as "head in a vice" speakers since when you move outside of their relatively narrow sweet spot the sonic performance drops off considerably. Magnepan planar magnetic speakers on the other hand offer very good horizontal dispersion by comparison. As with most things in high end audio component selection often comes down to a series of tradeoffs, and selecting those that you are willing to live with and whose strengths meet your sonic preferences most effectively.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I had a 5.1 surround system of ADAM speakers in the studio.... couldn't get them out of here fast enough! ;)

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Martin Logan speakers do many things very well, but their horizontal dispersion is admittedly limited. They attempt to overcome this by the curve of some of their ES panels, but they are known by many listeners as "head in a vice" speakers since when you move outside of their relatively narrow sweet spot the sonic performance drops off considerably. Magnepan planar magnetic speakers on the other hand offer very good horizontal dispersion by comparison. As with most things in high end audio component selection often comes down to a series of tradeoffs, and selecting those that you are willing to live with and whose strengths meet your sonic preferences most effectively.

totally agree, but the orig Quad ELS takes the cake for the head in a vise experience. imo, the curvilinear panel does practically nothing to widen the sweet spot, but I like it that way I listen solo anyhow. I find the speaker interacts much less with room boundaries and I get more direct vs. reflected sound, stereo images are sharp and tightly focused.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
totally agree, but the orig Quad ELS takes the cake for the head in a vise experience. imo, the curvilinear panel does practically nothing to widen the sweet spot, but I like it that way I listen solo anyhow. I find the speaker interacts much less with room boundaries and I get more direct vs. reflected sound, stereo images are sharp and tightly focused.
That is definitely one of the advantages of limited horizontal dispersion, more direct and less reflected sound resulting in a very well focused image. I have heard the CLS speakers sound absolutely spectacular in the right setup!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

I'd think we agree that the audio hobby is very much a solitary endeavor so a small window doesn't faze me :)

OTOH, you can argue about the panel's solidity and imaging. I still don't feel that the panels--as good as you can get them and it can be quite good--image like say a Wilson W/P or Sasha (at in the horizontal plane). And I've owned both Maggies and presently MLs.

And listening to the Quad 57s is like listening thru a mail slot.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
My old Dynaudio Evidence Temptation had pretty awesome lateral / off axis response.

alexandre

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I've got rock solid 180 degrees. I have a funny trick I pull on friends. I make them walk from in front of the speakers to right between them. I then make them turnaround and face the rear of the room. The stage rotates and seems to be coming from the rear wall. Lots of head scratching with that one. :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing