A Small DAC East Coast Style Shootout.

merrillaudio

DAC Shootout

Everyone likes a great shoot out and it is even better if the results are conclusive. First the disclaimers.
1. No double blind tests were done.
2. The VERITAS Monoblocks used in some of the shootouts are manufactured by me.
3. I am the US distributor of the Sadurni Acoustics Staccato Horn System available June 1st.
4. I own the Lynx Hilo and the Meitner MA-1 DAC’s.
5. The Cables in some systems were built by me.
6. Several systems were used and not all well documented.
7. I don't like writing.

I will summarize the result first. You can read on to find out more as well as some of the other reviewers’ opinions and listening tests. We all came to the same Conclusion, the Meitner MA-1 was the best in the group of DACs that we tested, excluding the Teac Hd-501 (more to be done objectively here). Also note that it was the most expensive at $7,500.

The search for the DAC started with the Bi-amped Sanders Electrostatic Sound Speakers. The speakers come with a Behringer DCX2496 Active Equalizer that is less than ideal for such a revealing speaker. A few options were looked at and done – modifying the Behringer DCX2496, using the DEQX and finally using the Hilo Lynx with 4 channel output in conjunction with Channel D’s Pure Music and FabFilters software for the curves. Rob Robinson introduced and set up the FabFilters according to the curves provided by Roger Sanders of Sander Sound along with the Pure Vinyl Software from Channel D. The improvement over the Behringer/Pre-Amp/AMR 777 DAC was startling. Much cleaner, clearing, sharper music reproduction. So began the self-imposed gun fight.

First up was the AMR777 DAC from the owner of the Sanders Sound Electrostatic Speakers, against the Lynx Hilo. Since the AMR only had 2 channels and we needed 4, it was decided to use the Gallo Reference 3.5 to do the test. While the Gallo speakers were not as good in some respects as the Sanders Electrostatics and better in other respects, the Gallo only required 2 channels, perfect for this shoot out. Lynx Hilo - 15, AMR 777- 0. The Lynx was much cleaner, clearer, with tighter imaging and better bass.

With the Lynx as the current reigning champion, the Meitner MA-1 stepped into the ring. Since only 2 channels were required, the Gallo Reference 3.5 speakers were used. With the Lynx Hilo being a big step up from the AMR, the expectations were high. How much better could this get. The Meitner stepped up with better bass, cleaner and clear mids, highs, slightly better imaging. The biggest improvement would be the bass and the cleaner sound. Was it too clean, was it sterile. The answer from the test group was a very loud NO. It was very good, fast and very clean without being sterile at all. The vocals are always a big test for this.

A Note on the rest of the system and the room for future reference. First note that the speakers were changed for the final shootout. The Room is 20' wide x 30' long x 11' high with absorbers in the front wall, diffusers on the side wall, absorbers and diffusers on the ceiling and some diffusers on the back wall. For clarification, The Back wall is behind the listener. The main speakers were about 5 feet from the side wall and 6 feet from the front wall. The Gallos were placed in a near field listening position. That is about 10 feet from the front wall and 7 feet from the side walls. The equipment rack was on the right about par with the listening seats and about 2 feet from the wall. There were 2 listening chairs with the back of the 1st chair about 105 inches from each speaker. The 2nd chair is directly behind the first chair and the 3rd person would stand directly behind the 2nd Chair. This is done so the imaging would be good for all three listeners although the sound and image would different for all three. We did rotate seats to get concurrence. However you could get a very good sense of image, detail and 3D sound stage from any of the chairs in this configuration.

The Rack is made of solid slate slabs. All outlets from dedicated 20 amp circuits directly from the fuse box as this is a dedicated listening room. There are some conditioning extensions just for RF filtering but no serious power conditioners used. Interconnects and Speaker Cables are the ANAP Merrill Audio cables. The VERITAS Monoblocks are used for the power amplifiers. (Yes, my name is all over, for better or for worse). Music range is all ripped from 44/16 to Double DSD. Note that only 1 DAC has double DSD capability in this review. Unless significant, I will not mention the digital music played.

The group of people involved was local Audiophiles from various locations and societies or publications. To name some – NJ Audio Society, NY Audio Society, NY RAVE, Philadelphia Audio Society, CT (formerly from CT Audio Society), webzine executive editor, manufacturers. Names were left off to protect the audiophiles from their wives. The only groups not represented from the local area were the Saintly Wives of the Audiophiles. Yes, it was all male as usual with testosterone riding high, no need for testosterone supplements here!

While the group was large, not everyone was at all the shootouts and no single person was at every shoot out. However there is a core known group that had representation at all the shootout events. Perhaps this could also be construed as bias group.

The type of sound that the whole group is looking for will also have to be defined as Clean, Fast transients on vocals piano and percussion, Details galore, decay’s that go on for ever, controlled tight strong bass, deep bass, as little distortion as possible. Typical music that was played - Eiji Oui, Minnesota Orchestra Dance of the tumblers (Rimsky Korsakov), Count Basie Bluesville, Crown imperial Jerry Junkin, Benjamin Dave Brubeck Quartet, Wailin Jennys The parting Glass, New year’s eve on the waterfront by the Stimulators, Roland Batik. This is just a sample. Many others were play depending on the time of day, shoot out time frame and location. The music was to test the low end response, transient speed, 3 dimensional image, details of the music, naturalness of the vocals and decay. Some pieces helped determine more than 1 attribute and others a smaller number of attributes, sometimes only 1 attribute, like the Wailin Jennys was mainly only female vocals naturalness although there was some good information with decay and detail of the vocals.

Finally another disclaimer – this is by no means comprehensive or we would all be Audio Gods!

On to the other tests. So the Meitner took on the Lynx Hilo and won. Note that the Lynx Hilo is only $2,500 while the Meitner is $7,500. The Lynx Hilo has 4 channel output, 2 input, A/D converters, digital inputs and outputs. So there are a slew of features, all for $2,500. The Meitner only has digital inputs and analog outputs – a plain Jane DAC, for $7,500. Weight wise, the Lynx is heavier but smaller in size. The Lynx Hilo is excellent value for the price.

Independently in another system the Exasound and the Wyred4sound was tested by the 2 respective owners in 2 separate locations, different from the one described above. The ExaSound was the clear winner with just sounding less harsh. (I was there but not paying attention).

The Exasound and the Lynx were put together, in yet another location! This time using Von Schweikert VR4jr MKII speakers (I own them also). The result was a toss up. This could be because the system was not as revealing as it should be, the location was not the best and the music playback has some issues. So this would not be a definitive test. Since I owned the Lynx I felt the Lynx was a bit better while the Exasound owner felt the Exasound was better. Go figure, why can’t everyone think like me!

Despite our differences, we did not kill each other and walked away happy with our respective ownership. To be continued. Maybe.

Next inline was the Phasure DAC versus the Exasound and the Meitner. The location was the home for the Phasure. The equipment is listed as, “Golden Ear Triton II. His amps are built by B-D Design in the Netherlands. amp was built by Peter's (Phasaure designer and builder) friend Bert of BD Design. It's the same amp that resides in each of the Orlenio Speakers that Bert designed and that Peter now uses. You gotta hear it to believe it.”
With the DAC’s directly driving the Amplifiers ( I was not there so could not comment on the location, sound or the equipment). The winner was the Phasure. 4 dedicated, die hard audiophiles (are there any other kind) were present, including the Owner of the Exasound. Ding Ding. Round 3. Winner Phasure.

Out of curiosity I wanted to try the Double DSD Teac Hd-501 DAC which a local diehard Audiophile had purchased. While I own the Tascam DA-3000, I am the audiophile that must try toys that I have do not have versus the ones that I have. So I must confess I have not tried the DA-3000, which has Double DSD against any of the other DAC’s.

The Teac HD-501 is only about $800. It is a tight, compact little player with nice features like different filters for the DSD and PCM. The system was B&K Pre, Martin Local Speakers and a Parasound Power Amp. The competition was the Meitner. The Music was Direct DSD cuts from the Ella swings Brightly with Riddle (1962) master tape, courtesy of High Definition Tape Transfers (HDTT) Robert Witrak. While these were DSD and double DSD tracks, the editing was done in DXD PCM.

The fight was between the Meitner MA-1($7,500) and the Teac HD-501($800). The underdog Teac with double DSD seem to take the day with some reservation from me. The Teac for $800 is a lot of sound for the money. The Ella tracks did not have much bass at all. The Martin Logan speakers did not have much bass also. The system was very nice and pleasant to listen to, it was not as revealing as some other systems. The contest was also a little rushed due to my time constraints. The one big take away that was very audible was that the double DSD was much better than the single DSD. The image was very perceptible more defined, the location, size very clear on the double DSD. The sound was smoother on the double DSD. I was surprised on how much better the Double DSD was, as was the owner of the Teac. That was the big take away. Note that the Meitner does not do double DSD so this was all from the Teac.

Next was the grand finale to check the Phasure in the most revealing system of all. This is in the location as described above however the speakers were changed out to the Sadurni Acoustic Staccato Horn System. The speakers are bi-amp however the configuration requires only 2 channels instead of the 4 that the Sanders Electrostats require. This allowed all the 2 channel DAC’s to be used directly.

First up was the Phasure driving the VERITAS Monoblocks directly. The crowd was 8 strong, 3 of them smelled fishy probably from the “all you can eat” sushi lunch. At the end of the song, the crowd stood up and applauded. Bravo, Bravo. Next using the pre-amp, the Phasure ran into trouble, not because of the Phasure but because of an RCA cable, believe it or not. The sound was made very hot with that cable for some reason. After that was corrected, the Phasure and the Meitner ran through the Pre-amp for playback. The Meitner came back as the winner, clearly strong, more articulate bass. The mids and highs were richer, more information was heard. The image was stronger and more defined though not by much against the Phasure. A lot more was done including songs, cables, coffee. The outcome was the same the Meitner was ahead.

So the question would be why which I will spend a short time on. The speakers are very fast, clear and detailed. You can hear everything on the Staccato Horn speaker system. It is 110db. The same was felt with the VERITAS by the manufacturer of the speaker and the owner of the VERITAS. The Tube Distinctions amp (see pictures), same owner, uses the VERITAS almost exclusively using the Tube distinctions to keep the VERITAS honest. The VERITAS is also able to control the bass extremely well. The Staccato has very little distortion, so the clarity of the music, cable or anything else is always obvious. The vocals had more information and greater definition. You hear everything here, This is an amazing speaker with almost no distortion. Driven by the VERITAS Monoblocks, the system will let you know what the singer had for lunch and the last time they took a bath. That is why we brought the Phasure and Meitner here.

The Phasure is an excellent DAC that does nothing wrong at all. It is very pleasant and has a lot of tuning that can be done. Note the playback of the music was done by the Phasure software to the Phasure DAC and the Meitner DAC on a water cooled PC and the drive was external all on Stillpoints. So a lot was done to get everything out of this system.

Excluding the PC, the Phasure DAC/Software is $4,500. The Meitner $7,500. So dollar for dollar, the Phasure would take the prize. For absolute sound the Meitner would take the prize.

A bit about the sound of both. The Phasure has a very pleasant, clean sound. That strikes you up front as you listen. There is absolutely nothing wrong that it does. The Meitner has much stronger, controlled bass, very obvious with the Brubeck Benjamin. The Meitner also have a much fuller vocal presentation, obvious with the Jennings music. The overall presentation, stage was slightly better with the Meitner. The decay was longer with the Meitner. The transients, as consistent with the bass observation, was better with the Meitner.

Either way, both DACs walked out of there with their heads held high. FYI, the shootout started at 2pm, and finished at 8pm. Strong coffee was served at 4pm. All music was PCM. No DSD was played.

Hopefully some of the other parties present will provide their comments here also.

Till the next DAC shootout, I propose we call a truce and enjoy some of the wonderful music that is out there.

Finally please excuse my bad writing skills and any biases I might have in here. Hopefully you can read past that.

Side Small.jpg Front Small.jpg

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Hi Merrill - I am sure you had lots of fun from such an interesting DAC test, I am surprised to see the TEAC that well ranked!

I am familiar with the Staccato so no surprises there, and willing to hear your amps here in the near future!

merrillaudio

Hi Merrill - I am sure you had lots of fun from such an interesting DAC test, I am surprised to see the TEAC that well ranked!

I am familiar with the Staccato so no surprises there, and willing to hear your amps here in the near future!

Yes, I suspect a lot more listening will have to be done on the Teac and on a more revealing system. For the system, the Teac performed very well which goes to say that if the system does not who more, then that equipment is the right match for the system. Unfortuantely we spent more time checking out the DSD vs Double DSD than the Meitner vs the Teac, so a little optimistic perhaps on the Teac compared to the Meitner. I am still high on the Teac though.

See you at Axpona perhaps.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Sorry I missed this event.

merrillaudio

PeterSt

Feb 13, 2013
Netherlands
Hi there Merill, hope all is well.
And oh, you may not like writing (but I loved reading it) - I just can not. Already not in Dutch but in English sure not. So I hope you will forgive me.

Please don't shoot any messengers as I only try to contribute to your so well neutrally spelled report. But maybe something was not right and Brian (who brought in the Phasure) contacted me about it;
Read in the spirit of you audio enthusiasts (and not at all to the benefit of Phasure), but also as a bit of support for Brian.

I don't know whether it has been discussed during the event, but Brian could hardly recognize his own Phasure DAC. Apart from possibly too long interconnects (25ft I hear and only with very low capacitance (80-90pF it could be OK) there can be other things at play. One thing ahead though, when Brian says his DAC sounds warm and mushy then something clearly has to be wrong.

I would like to "blame" the power amps. Distortion may be 0.0001% whatever THD but this is in the audio band only (beyond that it looks like DSD for noise ;)). But I think I can tell that with certain length of interlinks they can cause oscillation and or the safety protection jumps in or the speaker blows first. At least I know of a situation of either (in two different places) and in both occasions the same length of IC was used (33ft). But with a trained ear you can also hear it, or better put, hear how the amp works. Partly this is in the highs (hard to explain, but say too cold and therewith more harsh) and mainly this is in the left/right separation thinking about strange interacting phase behavior. Like "huh ? let's try switch the polarity of one of the speakers" ... and don't even notice a difference. This brings mushy sound.
To be clear, this is NOT about Veritas in specific but the Hypex inside. So, I heard both the Veritas and a Dutch variant from Hypex herself, plus we tried to use the modules ourselves for the speaker you mentioned Merill, which we did not for reasons.

I am not sure whether Al can make sense of this (was Al even there ?) :
The amp you heard at Brian's shows THD+N good enough to not add to what at least the Phasure outputs (which is 0.00073%) apart from a very small third harmonic. Output noise after gain (of 21) is at -120dB. So totally inaudible, also from the 110dB sensitive speakers used at your event. So did anyone try to perceive the noise when directly connected (no preamp) ? Might someone say "oh yeah, sure I could hear noise" then it is good to know how molested the sound has been (at least 50dB of noise will have been added then).
Anyway, Brian's amp does not show any HF output beyond the audio band; it's just ruler straight noise at mentioned -120dB (the Phasure showing noise as ruler flat at -141dB).

... Which makes me think that it is rather likely that the needed digital attenuation has been way too much. So what is that amp ? 1000 Watts ? And that into 110dB speakers ? Doesn't sound too good to me ...

Final small thing : Brian wondered how much influence there may have been from the room which was set up for the Meitner (by the guy who brought the Meither and who also (ever back) brought in the amps and speakers if I understood correctly). So Brian, ... oh, that may have made a small difference but I don't think "mushy" comes from that. But maybe think the other way around :
I don't think you guys tried the Meither without preamp, but might you have done so then the issues might have been the same or worse. So, a preamp only filters and when left out the real thing submerges. But the real thing of everything (so also amps + speakers with the DAC ahead). What I try to say is : would the Meither have been tried directly, you guys possibly would have wasted many hours on getting things right, because something was/is wrong in the first place. The preamp hides that (think about my noise example, and if there with preamp it's not audible because attenuated by volume dial; so problem is there but is not noticed).

I hope this contributes and that it helps Brian somewhat (he felt a bit sad I think).
Regards,
Peter

Last edited:

merrillaudio

Peter

thank you for your long message and all is taken in good audiophile spirit. Can convert this to Dutch but I would not know what I am saying. Also your English is much better than my dutch.

For the future, I will be taking the Meitner to Brians house to find out what the issues. This will be in the May time frame and the date is not confirmed yet.

While everything you say could be true, for the setup, the Phasure was very, very good. The I/C are 15pf per foot, so a lot of capacitance. The Meitner simply cannot drive that when we tried it, hence the pre-amp. We can check with shorter interconnects are Brians place.

If what you say that the Phasure was held back, or not at its best, given that the sound was already excellent, I cannot wait to hear the Phasure at its best.

Although the scenario you provide is plausable, the sound from both the Phasure and Meitner were excellent without any issues by themselves. Only when compared to each other was the difference notices. We kept all scenarios the same so if there was a floor performance, then both of the units would have hit the same floor of performance. We did try the Phasure direct connect also.

While the top power rating of the VERITAS is the maximum output at 2 ohms, this is not really the operating range. The VERITAS Monoblocks are used more for the quality of the sound. The VERITAS has been compared to many amps with this speaker, and even I was as incredulous as you, when I was called in to listen to the VERITAS on the Staccato Horns. In fact if you look at the picture you can see the $30k Tube Disctunctions Monoblocks sitting right next to the speakers not used. That was also compared to the VERITAS on the Staccato and initially used, until the VERITAS was discovered. So now the VERITAS is making its rounds to various Horn systems with SET amps for comparision. Perhaps you could send a pair of your BD designs amps or we could borrow Brians to test this out also. It will be another topic of course.

The difference when the Meitner was at Brians house previously was that the software was set to oversample and then sent to the Mietner. We had the same problem here. And when the oversample was turned off to the Meitner, the Meitner sound was improved significantly. With the oversample, it was gritty and harsh. I refer to the oversampling done by the Phasure software called XXHighEnd I believe. We used the XXHighEnd for the Mietner and the Phasure so the only item changed was the DAC. And trust me, I was routing for the Phasure.

So we will continue this story with more systems to test. I would end as I did before, with the current results, the Phasure is an excellent DAC and really worth the money.

Please do make a trip to the US, and I am sure all the Audio societies will be happy to host you at their meetings. This will be a great opportunity to show your Phasure DAC and explain the great amount of work you have put into it.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Yes, I suspect a lot more listening will have to be done on the Teac and on a more revealing system. For the system, the Teac performed very well which goes to say that if the system does not who more, then that equipment is the right match for the system. Unfortuantely we spent more time checking out the DSD vs Double DSD than the Meitner vs the Teac, so a little optimistic perhaps on the Teac compared to the Meitner. I am still high on the Teac though.

See you at Axpona perhaps.

hahahaha!

Glad you have been exposed to the quality of DSD128. I have been preaching this sermon for a while. As I famously say, i will listen to someone gargling if recorded in DSD128!

PeterSt

Feb 13, 2013
Netherlands
Dear people, and especially Merrill,

I sincerely wish that today hadn't happen because I think I made the biggest mistake of my life. I jumped in on behalf of a customer (Brian) but did not know the (US) background of the amplifiers I talked about. If I had known (or had done some home work) I would never ever have been posting in here. What can I say ...
Well, that someone like Merill must be the best guy around. So envision that we chatted before, and that he follows up on my post through email and not even a single word is spent on my "attack" through my posting as how it will have come across. Well, *that* deserves prizes. Not stupid DACs.

Biggest apologies,
Peter (red behind the cheeks and further)

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Overall, it a classy exchange. Reflects well on both parties. That is the spirit gentlemen!
Maximun respect.

PeterSt

Feb 13, 2013
Netherlands
So a fresh new day here with hopefully no fresh new mistakes ...

(25ft I hear and only with very low capacitance (80-90pF it could be OK)

This is what I said and apart from the braces being in the wrong place I managed to make a double mistake in there;
Firstly, I'm always thinking in meters and secondly although we tend to rate a cable for capacitance "per length" the combination in that sentence made you think I mentioned the total capacitance allowed. So :

The I/C are 15pf per foot, so a lot of capacitance. The Meitner simply cannot drive that when we tried it, hence the pre-amp.

Of course then I didn't understand this one because I nicely applied a 3.33ft x 15pF and didn't see how any 50pF per meter could end up in "a lot". Thus I thought you may have forgotten a "not" and let it be. But of course I then couldn't sleep from the conclusion that the Meitner can not drive that ("not" a lot).

Still there ? haha. Well, it *is* good that we all take things in the proper spirit because with so many foolish mistakes ...
Anyway, that cable is just very OK on this matter, and no Phasure should have been bugged by it (but I really always say that it is rated for 2 meters / 7ft) so the not-so-good cable will be OK too at that lengths.
And btw nothing wrong with any DAC that can not drive that lengths hence amplifiers directly - it just has to be made for it more or less explicitly.

The difference when the Meitner was at Brians house previously was that the software was set to oversample and then sent to the Mietner. We had the same problem here. And when the oversample was turned off to the Meitner, the Meitner sound was improved significantly.

Yes, that is an easy pitfall; I don't think many XXHighEnd users will shut off the upsampling/filtering but it is always to be found out what sounds best for the DAC concerned. It also depends on how the DAC deals with the now higher sampling rate and whether it will shut off its own filters because if that. IMO it would be true tough that two now cascaded filters (one in XXHighEnd, one in the DAC) could create inconsistency especially because the both were not designed to cascade (each other). So although I actually see all XXHighEnd users having it on, this sure is not a guaranteed "concept". It was actually made for the Phasure ...

Regards,
Peter

SoundQcar

Oct 12, 2011
Half Moon Bay, Ca
Nice read!

As an aside, the talk in the air is that the impending software update for the Meitner will bring DSD64 & DSD128 to the table.

merrillaudio

Nice read!

As an aside, the talk in the air is that the impending software update for the Meitner will bring DSD64 & DSD128 to the table.

Yes, indeed. This is the exciting part.

Meitner currently has DSD64. I am waiting for the DSD128. Hopefully there are no issues, however there are no dates either.

merrillaudio

Nice read!

Yes, indeed. This is the exciting part.

Meitner currently has DSD64. I am waiting for the DSD128. Hopefully there are no issues, however there are no dates either.

sebna

May 20, 2014
Would you know if the upcoming in few weeks update will already bring DSD 128? or is it a farcry ATM?

Cheers,
seb

merrillaudio

Would you know if the upcoming in few weeks update will already bring DSD 128? or is it a farcry ATM?

Cheers,
seb

The upcoming update is a sonic improvement only. The DSD128 is later this year and I cannot get any commitments on dates. I suspect they are making sure the sonic update works first, then they will focus on the DSD128. Hopefully there will be some other benefits as well, I don't know but am hoping for DXD. Perhaps someone else has a better inside scoop.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing