Krell Foundation

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Krell's newest Preamp/processor, the Foundation, has been shipping and has received very good reviews. I am in the process of swapping my Krell S-1200/3D for the Foundation and will soon have a report on its performance. The Foundation, while (at $6500) is priced at half of the S-1200's cost, is more oriented toward more HDMI ports and better switching performance, rather than analog processing of legacy formats. A short audition in my home system immediately demonstrated much better sound from Blu-ray movies and DirecTV via HDMI. The analog "preamp" function, wherein the Foundation serves only as a volume control, is at least as transparent as the S-1200. I will need to construct a new set of filters for my Dirac IRC in my music server in order to make a more detailed comparison.

The Foundation does not have analog 7.1 inputs (as most multichannel content these days is easily delivered via HDMI), nor does it have a traditional on-screen display for its menu. Menu functions are handled by ethernet connection to the internet and your iPad or laptop. While this works well, it takes some getting used to for us old dinosaurs who are accustomed to OSD-driven menus.

The Foundation does utilize Krell's proprietary ARES room microphone/software equalization system. It sets channel levels and delay times for proper multichannel playback when all your speakers are not equidistant from the listening position.

I was extremely impressed with its performance, and greatly anticipate its arrival this week. I will post a much more thorough review at that time.

Lee

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Krell's newest Preamp/processor, the Foundation, has been shipping and has received very good reviews. I am in the process of swapping my Krell S-1200/3D for the Foundation and will soon have a report on its performance. The Foundation, while (at $6500) is priced at half of the S-1200's cost, is more oriented toward more HDMI ports and better switching performance, rather than analog processing of legacy formats. A short audition in my home system immediately demonstrated much better sound from Blu-ray movies and DirecTV via HDMI. The analog "preamp" function, wherein the Foundation serves only as a volume control, is at least as transparent as the S-1200. I will need to construct a new set of filters for my Dirac IRC in my music server in order to make a more detailed comparison.

The Foundation does not have analog 7.1 inputs (as most multichannel content these days is easily delivered via HDMI), nor does it have a traditional on-screen display for its menu. Menu functions are handled by ethernet connection to the internet and your iPad or laptop. While this works well, it takes some getting used to for us old dinosaurs who are accustomed to OSD-driven menus.

The Foundation does utilize Krell's proprietary ARES room microphone/software equalization system. It sets channel levels and delay times for proper multichannel playback when all your speakers are not equidistant from the listening position.

I was extremely impressed with its performance, and greatly anticipate its arrival this week. I will post a much more thorough review at that time.

Lee

Congrats on the new baby! ;)

BiggusD

Nov 10, 2013
...Menu functions are handled by ethernet connection to the internet and your iPad or laptop...

That is great if there is an iPad app that controls the Foundation. However I can only find one Krell app on the Apple App Store that is for the Connect streamers only. So can you please clarify?

Look forward to reading your review!

Thanks.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
It has sufficient menu display information without the need for any external devices/connections, at least, once you get used to the menu protocols.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
The Foundation has an IP address supplied with it. You merely enter that address in your browser and have full access to all menu functions on your unit.

You don't need an app.

Also, I agree with Kal that you can easily navigate the menu system without an iPad, etc. once you're familiar with what adjustments are available.

Lee

BiggusD

Nov 10, 2013
Thanks for the clarification.

By the way, how does it perform as a stereo pre-amp? Can one kill two birds with one stone and use the Foundation for 2 channel use as well? How does it compare to say a $4-5K stereo pre-amp?

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com

By the way, how does it perform as a stereo pre-amp? Can one kill two birds with one stone and use the Foundation for 2 channel use as well? How does it compare to say a $4-5K stereo pre-amp?

If you choose "analog/preamp" mode, then it merely acts as a volume control for the analog inputs. I've also had the Krell S1200 and the older KBL line stage and will say that I don't feel that there is any loss of transparency. You may also choose "stereo" as the mode, and the subwoofer crossover circuitry will be active.

Lee

BiggusD

Nov 10, 2013
Thanks for the information. I don't have any subwoofers anyway - hate them. My speakers can go down to 30Hz which is plenty even when watching movies, so seems like it would make a nice 2-channel preamp as well...

BiggusD

Nov 10, 2013
I don't use a subwoofer but I do have a 7 speaker system. So yes I do need the multi channel part with the DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD decoding, room correction, etc...

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I don't use a subwoofer but I do have a 7 speaker system. So yes I do need the multi channel part with the DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD decoding, room correction, etc...

Oh! In that case, I believe you'll be quite happy with it. Krell just announced a 4K upgrade that also apparently has on-screen menus too.

Lee

BiggusD

Nov 10, 2013
Krell just announced a 4K upgrade that also apparently has on-screen menus too..

Really? That is awesome news. May I ask how you know? Is it a free upgrade? Firmware or hardware? I thought 4K needed HDMI 2.0.

I am not too keen on on-screen menus though. I would prefer a pure untouched video signal for the best video quality...

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Really? That is awesome news. May I ask how you know? Is it a free upgrade? Firmware or hardware? I thought 4K needed HDMI 2.0.
Not free. IIRC, $2500 but with a bargain price for the earliest responders.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Not free, as Kal stated. The price of the new unit with 4K is said to be $7500. The update is real. The pricing on the new unit, I'm not sure if that's where it'll end up.

Lee

BiggusD

Nov 10, 2013

So it is a new model then for $7,500 - $1,000 more. Will they be HDMI 2.0 ports then?

There is no mention of it on the Krell website...

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Go to the Krell Industries page on Facebook for details on the offer for 4K. It's all there with info. On my mobile phone & can't get page to link. If you have trouble, I'll get on my home computer when I get a chance & link to it for you.

Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing