Any Perfect 8 speaker current/past owners?

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
Yesterday I have listened Perfect 8 The Point driven by full Burmester system, I quite like it but since I its the only available one in Istanbul. I could not discuss with a current or past owner on the pluses or minuses of this glass speaker. Any views?

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
When Peter asked that guy how much his speakers cost, he said $115,000 and kept a straight face when he said it. Off the shelf drivers that of course are customized by them. Ever wonder how speaker companies that can't manufacture their own drivers are always smart enough to know how to modify someone else's drivers?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
When Peter asked that guy how much his speakers cost, he said $115,000 and kept a straight face when he said it. Off the shelf drivers that of course are customized by them. Ever wonder how speaker companies that can't manufacture their own drivers are always smart enough to know how to modify someone else's drivers?
Yep, plus they are immediately selling as many as they can manufacture!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yesterday I have listened Perfect 8 The Point driven by full Burmester system, I quite like it but since I its the only available one in Istanbul. I could not discuss with a current or past owner on the pluses or minuses of this glass speaker. Any views?

Try pm'ing LCat here. Those speakers at the show are actually his.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

I spent sometime in this room last year trying to figure out what the big deal was about these speakers. As expected from speakers with this kind of configuration, the bass has nothing to do with the rest of the speaker. The level of the bass was set too high attracting even more attention to the ho hum performance. Granted its under show conditions but even I pointed the overwhelming bass level to the designer his reply was that they won the best sound award for it. Of course as Peter mentioned there's the ridiculous price of these speakers. For this size speaker I would look at Wilson or Rockport for a fraction of the cost and from what I heard superior performance under the same show conditions.
david

PS At this price they're competing with some true high end speakers, compared to what's on offer from Wilson, Rockport and a few others, this is a joke! Their large system looks like more of the same ht level subs mated to a point source, big woopy doo!

Last edited:

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
Ever wonder how speaker companies that can't manufacture their own drivers are always smart enough to know how to modify someone else's drivers?
Wish that a driver company takes the cabinet and xover design and modify some of the well known speaker brands.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ever wonder how speaker companies that can't manufacture their own drivers are always smart enough to know how to modify someone else's drivers?

Not really, no. :) The big boy driver makers actually have divisions that cater to manufacturers. All you need for a fully customised driver is a minimum order. Quite a few loudspeaker manufacturers have designers and engineers with driver design experience. They can also have the driver companies themselves do the designs for them given the parameters the customer specify.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
PLEASE

Not more female jazz soloist music.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I have not heard these speakers but the placement of the ribbon tweeter seems a little high to me. Flat ribbons like those are known to not have much dispersion in the vertical plane. I would think when seated most of the treble would go over your head?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing