Votes: 3 5.2%
  • less than $7000

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • I could be driving a Ferrari F40 instead

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I don't necessarily calculate or keep track in Quickbooks, but when I buy a piece, I estimate how long I will own it, and how much I will get for it when I offload it it. I calculate (price - resale)/years owned and decide if this is reasonable. If expected resale price is equal to purchase price, cost of ownership is zero, and I buy without hesitation - if I don't like it I resell right away. So for me, buying a $3000 digital piece that will be worth $1000 in two years, is a lot more expensive than buying a $12,000 pair of speakers that I can resell for what I have into them (cost of ownership is zero). This is not hypothetical - I have gone through 4 pairs of speakers without losing a penny on resale (I expect to lose a few grand on my current pair.....). This is how I keep this hobby affordable - don't worry about initial cask outlay, but only about depreciation.

Interesting. I think more about discount to retail. I have a record and receipt of every piece I have ever bought in 20 years and since I always sell or trade-in, I know the total sum spent over 20 years, as well as the % discount to retail across the whole system. My goal of buying below 33 cents on the dollar (67% discount) across the system has meant sometimes searching for literally 5 years to buy one specific piece second hand from a reliable seller.

I always include shipping or travel costs to go pick up a second hand or demo unit, since buying retail usually includes shipping or there isn't any shipping...plus a few newer pieces (isolation) have raised the average up. It also includes the cost of commissions I nearly always pay my local dealer when I buy second hand (even if I found the unit)...the commission is in return for him looking after me if I ever need to have that unit repaired, shipped back to manufacturer, etc...and also to maintain good will with my local dealer who in truth has often brought me some of his best trade-in deals.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I seem to be suffering from the same amnesia as H J :D

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I hope the voting is anonymous .... and blocked from spousal viewing (maybe a new feature WBF can add)

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Interesting; so far nothing in the $50k - $100k brackets.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
8 so far have systems in the top bracket! :eek: I'm guessing one cable is worth more than my entire setup. Another :eek:! They probably have no taste in music though and listen to nothing but those audio show audiophile recordings. Poor bastards!:p

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

There you go ;-) I guess it paid to upgrade only every 10-20 years (the last two years have been kinda busy, but that has stopped now too). I have still plenty of 20+ year old stuff in my system, which still beats a lot of new components.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Cost per spin: $10

Cost per bottle of champagne drunk with spouse or audio buddy when the highly anticipated new turntable/arm/cartridge is finally hooked up, dialed in, and turned on: $75

Cost of being transported back in time to Shirley Horn's nightclub with friends to enjoy an evening of great music, companionship and future memories: PRICELESS!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
8 so far have systems in the top bracket! :eek: I'm guessing one cable is worth more than my entire setup. Another :eek:! They probably have no taste in music though and listen to nothing but those audio show audiophile recordings. Poor bastards!:p

There is a recurring theme in show demo music that I have heard and that is a female singer coupled with a small acoustic jazz ensemble. Not very taxing sonically for decent systems and will usually sound *good* regardless of the room and setup.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Does manufacturing R&D count? After all, the damned hobby sucked me into it. :D

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
There is a recurring theme in show demo music that I have heard and that is a female singer coupled with a small acoustic jazz ensemble. Not very taxing sonically for decent systems and will usually sound *good* regardless of the room and setup.

OMG so very true. Another pet peeve is music with snapping fingers (usually with reverb) and whistling.

I feel like walking out of the demo when that stuff is played at a show.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Does manufacturing R&D count? After all, the damned hobby sucked me into it. :D
Many here have been involved in perpetual R&D for the past 30 years, there's no dollar amount to cover that in this poll.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
cost per spin: $10

cost per bottle of champagne drunk with spouse or audio buddy when the highly anticipated new turntable/arm/cartridge is finally hooked up, dialed in, and turned on: $75

cost of being transported back in time to shirley horn's nightclub with friends to enjoy an evening of great music, companionship and future memories: priceless!

rotflmao!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Great. We can claim WBF is discovering the diminishing returns valley in high end! ;)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I wonder how many people would rather express the cost of their gear to their wives in terms of what it sells for used and would rather tell their audiophile brothers what the full retail cost is?

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I wonder how many people would rather express the cost of their gear to their wives in terms of what it sells for used and would rather tell their audiophile brothers what the full retail cost is?

in my circle, bragging rights come with "how well you did" or the amount of discount. they'd make you feel pretty stupid if you paid anywhere near retail. one guys mantra is "everything's for sale" and he's right, if you're patient your 'dream' component will eventually make it to the 2nd hand market for 50 cents on the dollar.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
in my circle, bragging rights come with "how well you did" or the amount of discount. they'd make you feel pretty stupid if you paid anywhere near retail. one guys mantra is "everything's for sale" and he's right, if you're patient your 'dream' component will eventually make it to the 2nd hand market for 50 cents on the dollar.

Hard to beat distributor prices :D That's why we do it. Everybody wins!

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Hard to beat distributor prices :D That's why we do it. Everybody wins!

you're my kind of dealer, I like you Jack:) it reminds me of the pusherman lyrics from super fly...

I'm your mama, I'm your daddy,
I'm that n***a in the alley.
I'm your doctor when in need.
Want some coke? Have some weed.
You know me, I'm your friend,
Your main boy, thick and thin.
I'm your pusherman.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing