New SET amp driving Avalon speakers

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I'm sure I heard something recently about concentrating on the music and forgetting about new equipment for awhile? :D

Looks great! How does it sound?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...shhhh!!!! I am trying to listen to Flez's great system thru his photo...do you mind? ;)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I'm sure I heard something recently about concentrating on the music and forgetting about new equipment for awhile? :D

Looks great! How does it sound?

rbbert - i remember that! But the Conquest were already here by that time! :)

...what was not here is the QB8 and the Echole cabling system, it was a revelation.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Fernando, interesting that 300b amps have enough drive for the Avalon's. How efficient are they?
BTW, is that a Nak Dragon Cassette deck on your rack...if so, I haven't seen or heard one of those for years--but I do remember that they were good....almost able to overcome the many shortcomings of cassette tapes, LOL.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Fernando, interesting that 300b amps have enough drive for the Avalon's. How efficient are they?
BTW, is that a Nak Dragon Cassette deck on your rack...if so, I haven't seen or heard one of those for years--but I do remember that they were good....almost able to overcome the many shortcomings of cassette tapes, LOL.

DaveyF - they are 87dB efficient, but a quite stable load at 6 ohms - they sound great! And yes, that's my Dragon, i have around 100 cassettes recorded by me on different Nakamichi decks I had.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
DaveyF - they are 87dB efficient, but a quite stable load at 6 ohms - they sound great! And yes, that's my Dragon, i have around 100 cassettes recorded by me on different Nakamichi decks I had.

Fernando, at 87db efficient, I am surprised those SET's can drive the Avalon's. Even though they may be a stable load, I would have thought you would be driving the amps into distortion with ease.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Fernando, interesting that 300b amps have enough drive for the Avalon's.

The best sound I have ever had with my Avalon Eidolon Vision, was with a loaner pair of Ancient Audio Grand Silver Monos - another parallel 300B SET design.

I had the Lamm 1.2R and BAT 150SE monos at that time (so both way more powerful) but in terms of SQ - thay just couldn't hold a candle next to this little 300B amp. I just couldn't listen to those amps anymore and sold them afterwards.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The best sound I have ever had with my Avalon Eidolon Vision, was with a loaner pair of Ancient Audio Grand Silver Monos - another parallel 300B SET design.

I had the Lamm 1.2R and BAT 150SE monos at that time (so both way more powerful) but in terms of SQ - thay just couldn't hold a candle next to this little 300B amp. I just couldn't listen to those amps anymore and sold them afterwards.
interesting...I have never had the chance to hear Avalons...but read quite often that people like them with CJ tubed amps. Have you ever heard this combination? How did it compare?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Fernando, at 87db efficient, I am surprised those SET's can drive the Avalon's. Even though they may be a stable load, I would have thought you would be driving the amps into distortion with ease.

Not a problem, at least in my room that is not that large DaveyF, I enjoy Bruckner 8th at fair levels very well!

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
interesting...I have never had the chance to hear Avalons...but read quite often that people like them with CJ tubed amps. Have you ever heard this combination? How did it compare?

No unfortunately CJ is not represented in Poland. The closest I was able to get to CJ sound were the BAT 150SE (tube) monos.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
No unfortunately CJ is not represented in Poland. The closest I was able to get to CJ sound were the BAT 150SE (tube) monos.

Thanks.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Fernando.....beautiful system. The hardware floor is terrific. Looks like a great space to relax and enjoy your music.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing