Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3031323334353637383940

Thread: La Assoluta

It is indeed Rudolf - better power circuit = better sound. This effect becomes more apparent in a high resolution system and you still have some low hanging fruit untapped wrt iec inlets. Many manufacturers use generic nickel plated parts, so the uptick from something like Oyaide power inlet R or Furutech FI-06 NCF will be similar to replacing a generic plug with a top of the range one.
    Industry disclosure - www.sablonaudio.com & Dealer for Lampizator and Sound Galleries of Monaco Server

Quote Originally Posted by Sablon Audio View Post
    It is indeed Rudolf - better power circuit = better sound. This effect becomes more apparent in a high resolution system and you still have some low hanging fruit untapped wrt iec inlets. Many manufacturers use generic nickel plated parts, so the uptick from something like Oyaide power inlet R or Furutech FI-06 NCF will be similar to replacing a generic plug with a top of the range one.
    No idea what the Kondo factory is using as iec inlets. As a consumer I would expect high quality iec inlets because of the pretty 'insane' (retail)prices of the Kondo equipment. But maybe - or should I say: probably? - I am rather naive in this regard. As you already mentioned, the prospect of changing iec inlets in my audio equipment is not very attractive.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sablon Audio View Post
    Rudolf, you shouldn't be surprised as these components are all in the power circuit in the same manner as, say, a power cord or wall outlet. You will also find that upgraing the iec inlet and internal power wiring to the transformer yields some pretty profound improvements though I appreciate the non-DIY minded may need to take a few 'brave pills' to consider work of this nature.
    Although I understand that for safety reasons we should not operate equipment without fuses, do you think that using a quality fuse or quality iec inlet sounds better than simply hardwiring equipment to mains distribution ? (something that it is forbidden by codes and electrical regulations!!!)

Does a quality fuse sound better than a polished 5x20 mm brass rod?
    Under construction around a pair of Wilson XLF's, an Audio Research Anniversary preamplifier, TA OPUS MM2 and a DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack ...

Hi Microstrip, IME hardwiring sounds better than any connector interface and is much cheaper but less practical.

I haven't tried brass rods instead of fuses but suspect they may not sound great and that you would be better off bypassing the fuseholder completely. Better still, use a Thermistor like the T&A dac instead of a fuse. They supposedly sound better, are far cheaper and also non-sacrificial. Having an expensive fuse blow is hardly a happy moment.
    Industry disclosure - www.sablonaudio.com & Dealer for Lampizator and Sound Galleries of Monaco Server

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Although I understand that for safety reasons we should not operate equipment without fuses, do you think that using a quality fuse or quality iec inlet sounds better than simply hardwiring equipment to mains distribution ? (something that it is forbidden by codes and electrical regulations!!!)

Does a quality fuse sound better than a polished 5x20 mm brass rod?
    my darTZeel 458 mono blocks use thermal couplers instead of fuses. I don't technically understand what advantage that might give, but it's likely Herve's choice for a reason in a cost-no-object build. obviously; the dart 18NS pre uses battery power.
    Wave Kin. NVS tt, (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*MSB Select II dac w/33 Femto clock, SGM serv + (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darT NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart NHB-458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, Tara Labs GME w/HRX 2m RCA's. *Tripoint Troy Sig, Entreq Sil Tellus + Poseidon, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kin. A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3031323334353637383940