We need clarity on what can be discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
There is nothing in the General Forum Guidelines that says politics and religion cannot be discussed or debated. Yet, whenever I see a thread that discusses it, it gets closed. What's a member to do?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Political threads are a bad idea. Most audio sites ban the discussion and may ban members for bringing it up. I for one vote zero tolerance for poli threads. We will all get along much better given the diversity of political views...Liberal vs Conservative vs Moderates. Just my 3 cents (inflation)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Political threads are a bad idea. Most audio sites ban the discussion and may ban members for bringing it up. I for one vote zero tolerance for poli threads. We will all get along much better given the diversity of political views...Liberal vs Conservative vs Moderates. Just my 3 cents (inflation)

I agree. Healthcare threads seem to be a magnet for them.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I agree. Healthcare threads seem to be a magnet for them.

It was I who started that thread John. I did it as a physician (albeit retired) who is concerned for my colleagues and was merely asking the question if this seems fair but as you suggest thanks to the usual suspects here the thread predictably went down the toilet and I closed it based on my admonitions made two posts earlier where I said to stay on topic or the thread will be closed. Our friend David decided he wasn't going to adhere to such and I closed it

Generally I believe that political threads should not be discussed and it was truly my feelings to ask the membership if this was fair. You all know where the thread went. The logical conclusion is not to post such threads and/or delete ALL off topic posts

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
There is nothing in the General Forum Guidelines that says politics and religion cannot be discussed or debated. Yet, whenever I see a thread that discusses it, it gets closed. What's a member to do?

I suppose we could move on to religion. I'm sure we're all singing from the same hymn book... :D

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
It was I who started that thread John. I did it as a physician (albeit retired) who is concerned for my colleagues and was merely asking the question if this seems fair but as you suggest thanks to the usual suspects here the thread predictably went down the toilet and I closed it based on my admonitions made two posts earlier where I said to stay on topic or the thread will be closed. Our friend David decided he wasn't going to adhere to such and I closed it

Generally I believe that political threads should not be discussed and it was truly my feelings to ask the membership if this was fair. You all know where the thread went. The logical conclusion is not to post such threads and/or delete ALL off topic posts

You started a topic on ACA and I clarified that ACA was basically a progressive tax and covered up as something else, that's why you see all these regulations, how was that off topic? Where did I go wrong for you to close it? I actually thought that I was bringing the conversation back from where it was back to your point.

david

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
We probably should firm up our guidelines. I would say right now, we allow two types of discussions:

1. Pre-major election discussion of issues and candidates. Who leads our country is a very important thing and I have found the discussions useful and educational.

2. Side-issues that are outside of the main issues of whether you are republican or democrat kind of thing. I know I have created some of those threads as it seems Steve did (sorry to say I have not read his thread :) ).

The condition for both is peaceful discussion. When it gets out of hand or folks try to recruit people to their camp, we would need to stop it.

I don't recall religious discussions other than those in audio. :p

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

I'm an extreme moderate so any views are fine by me.

Some fora have a separate area for religion and politics that you have to specifically go into.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
We probably should firm up our guidelines. I would say right now, we allow two types of discussions:

1. Pre-major election discussion of issues and candidates. Who leads our country is a very important thing and I have found the discussions useful and educational.

2. Side-issues that are outside of the main issues of whether you are republican or democrat kind of thing. I know I have created some of those threads as it seems Steve did (sorry to say I have not read his thread :) ).

The condition for both is peaceful discussion. When it gets out of hand or folks try to recruit people to their camp, we would need to stop it.

I don't recall religious discussions other than those in audio. :p

ACA has a direct impact on 300 million people, its the most decisive policy from the most divisive government probably in the history of the nation, you don't think that its important enough to allow some discussion on the subject? Its your choice, its either the Best of Everything Forum or Best of Audio Forum.

david

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
ACA has a direct impact on 300 million people, its the most decisive policy from the most divisive government probably in the history of the nation, you don't think that its important enough to allow some discussion on the subject? Its your choice, its either the Best of Everything Forum or Best of Audio Forum.

david
Again, I have not read the thread and don't know what your reference means. To the extent these threads create tension, our only fallback option would be to have none of it. That would be a shame.

mdabb

Jul 10, 2010
N.E. Ohio
Why let the minority ruin a conversation? If some ground rules are put in place it is possible to converse respectfully & disagree respectfully. I'm not telling anyone how to do their job or make any judgments, but.......... if a person can't conduct their self with respect to others I think the simple & fair thing to do is suspend or ban the member.

I've been a member of a number of forums. There is nothing more boring than a one sided conversation or single perspective. As long as it's not X-rated in nature, I do believe it is possible to discuss religion, politics as well as even more controversial topics like speaker cables/interconnects in general without attacking individuals or being offensive. People disagree, no surprise there.

Also easy enough....If a person is particularly sensitive (thin skinned) to certain topics they should think twice before reading or participating in such conversations.

Aren't there enough boring one sided AV centric forums on the web....? It doesn't bother me if someone disagrees with me, I don't feel the need to restrict/limit their opinion. As long as you are not calling my mother names, we're good, lol.

Steve Williams

david

David

your agenda was not the thread topic. It seems that whenever something remotely involves health care you are leaping in with all guns loaded to discuss what you have done here all too commonly in threads. In fact it was shortly after you joined, if you recall, your very first thread as a member was one on the same things you are posting now.I sent you several private warnings to this effect and suggested you back off a bit, and yet there seems to be two rules, the TOS by which all members abide , or your own rules which allow you to continually post against warnings.

WBF is not a political or a religious board, nor do I espouse a closed formation of a subforum on politics and/or religion and I agree with Amir's proposal as to what should be allowed which then brings me back to the notion of threads being moderated with appropriate posts being deleted for political or religious content

Steve Williams

Why let the minority ruin a conversation? If some ground rules are put in place it is possible to converse respectfully & disagree respectfully. I'm not telling anyone how to do their job or make any judgments, but.......... if a person can't conduct their self with respect to others I think the simple & fair thing to do is suspend or ban the member.

I've been a member of a number of forums. There is nothing more boring than a one sided conversation or single perspective. As long as it's not X-rated in nature, I do believe it is possible to discuss religion, politics as well as even more controversial topics like speaker cables/interconnects in general without attacking individuals or being offensive. People disagree, no surprise there.

Also easy enough....If a person is particularly sensitive (thin skinned) to certain topics they should think twice before reading or participating in such conversations.

Aren't there enough boring one sided AV centric forums on the web....? It doesn't bother me if someone disagrees with me, I don't feel the need to restrict/limit their opinion. As long as you are not calling my mother names, we're good, lol.

I can't disagree.

I posted this thread not as a political one but rather looking at it from a physician's perspective as I know we have countless physicians as well as lawyers here as members (some I am even proud to call my friend ;), such as my long time friend Ron Party who is not only a wonderful lawyer but also a great audiophile and music connoisseur).
My point is that when I first posted this thread I was tempted to post it in the "Medical News We Can Use" subforum but ultimately posted it where I did.

Perhaps threads of this nature should involve warnings and sanctions as necessary. After so many warnings a member could be excluded from posting in this subforum but continue to post elsewhere throughout the forum

Thoughts are welcome but ultimately the admin team will come with final decisions

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
...its the most decisive policy from the most divisive government probably in the history of the nation...

david
This is an excellent example of the problem with this type of discussion on WBF. You make this statement even though there is not a shred of evidence available to suggest it is true (except in your own mind)?

Daveski

Nov 2, 2012

Forum: Off Topic Forum-Anything Goes
Here is the forum to discuss anything and everything else, ranging from politics to the environment to whatever. The only thing we ask is that the discussions remain polite.

WBF should revisit the above. Obviously, anything does NOT go, and it doesn't range to whatever.

mdabb

Jul 10, 2010
N.E. Ohio
I can't disagree.

I posted this thread not as a political one but rather looking at it from a physician's perspective as I know we have countless physicians as well as lawyers here as members (some I am even proud to call my friend ;), such as my long time friend Ron Party who is not only a wonderful lawyer but also a great audiophile and music connoisseur).
My point is that when I first posted this thread I was tempted to post it in the "Medical News We Can Use" subforum but ultimately posted it where I did.

Perhaps threads of this nature should involve warnings and sanctions as necessary. After so many warnings a member could be excluded from posting in this subforum but continue to post elsewhere throughout the forum

Thoughts are welcome but ultimately the admin team will come with final decisions

Great idea!!! Accountability for personal conduct. Sweet & simple....

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I think that this being an international forum, there are enough benefits to allow polite discussion. A wide range of views, as long as it is not being shoved down anyone's throats, can expand minds. Unfortunately, open minds usually get shouted down by closed minds. For that reason, I don't even bother to read the thread once some members jump in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing