miniDSP Dirac Series processors

Flak

Nov 16, 2013
miniDSP has just released two new processors (analog or digital in/outs) that offer a complete solution inclusive of Dirac Live and calibrated mic:
http://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series

You will use a computer for making the measurements but you can then disconnect it.
Four different correction sets can be instantly switched i.e may be one for a single listening chair, one for a wider audience and listening area, a third one for low volume listening and may be a fourth one if you want to move the speakers in a position that is more acceptable to your consort (I do not mention WAF to avoid discrimination :) )

Flavio

Flak

Nov 16, 2013

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I use an active crossover with Dirac Live. The crossover/delay MUST happen AFTER the DIRAC LIVE filter.

In the case of the new MiniDSP boxes, you would probably want to go with the digital version, if any. The manual shows that the digital MiniDSP version has an AES/EBU output. You could go from server out digital (AES, toslink, or maybe USB) to the MiniDSP and then out digital to your choice of digital crossover/delay. Of course, you could also do the same thing with a server with DIRAC Live installed and not need to buy the MiniDSP box. :)

Hello Jonathan,

you'll find details about your the Dirac Series miniDSPs and your 2.1 configuration here:
http://www.minidsp.com/forum/dirac-series-support/9921-minidsp-dirac-series-and-2-1

Ciao, Flavio

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I'm definitely sold on the Dirac IRC that is part of the Amarra Symphony playback software. It works incredibly well & elevated the sound quality of my music files significantly. I'll be interested in a multichannel version for Blu-ray playback at some point too. I know Datasat has Dirac in its processor, and will watch to see how other companies decide to license it.

Lee

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
What product do you use?
DEQX HDP-4.

I crossover a pair of mono subs at 47hz, 24db per octave. It sounds great. The DEQX does everything needed, delay, crossover and speaker calibration. The DEQX works well with DIRAC too. DEQX has an old school PEQ. I don't use it. I can use the DEQX's AES input to send my DIRAC sweeps out DLCT via my RME soundcard and back in the RME's mic input. This way I can dial-in the delay, crossover and speaker calibration inside the DEQX first. After that's done, I run my DIRAC sweep. The DEQX is awesome. The only criticism I have is that the DEQX is limited to only one mono sub out. I am using the controls on my rear sub for now. It works very well. However, I have a xilica OTW. I should be able to tighten things up even more using the xilica only to get the rear sub's delay perfect.

Michael.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing