Desert island R2R 1/4" 2 track master player

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
butterfly head is fine because ours head too, to play our tapes A80 is best choice because play back with same type of what used in recording, if you like to modify the repro amp as I did and will have more better result, very simple just changed the out put stage into tube (WE437A) SE, with 2.4k to 600 ohm output transformer also change all the caps in coupling path to a better quality caps that is what we using for copy tapes, you can take a look what I posted before
tony ma

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
for another opinion, I very much dislike butterfly heads. These heads were created for the BBC so they can play both stereo and mono tapes with the same headbloc. This to me severely compromises channel separation and s/n. What you also get in return is a 3dB gain.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
it´s from BBCs Norwegian cousin NRK
I´ll change pinch roller
ATHAN has a good one right?
then I´ll listen...
best
Leif

Last edited:

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
it´s from BBCs Norwegian cousin NRK
I´ll change pinch roller
ATHAN has a good one right?
then I´ll listen...
best
Leif

One of my A80's came from NRK. Still has the logo on it.

Athan makes great stuff!

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
how on earth did it end up in Seattle? Norwegian fishing boat?
same console as mine?
good...sent them a mail...
thxs
best
Leif

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
how on earth did it end up in Seattle? Norwegian fishing boat?
same console as mine?
good...sent them a mail...
thxs
best
Leif

Looks almost the same without the controls on the right side. Has the NRK logo between the reels!

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
UHA Phase 11

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
possible, but I can´t help feeling screwed when I look at their products as well as Sonorus....got the feeling that they´ve turned on the hi-end audio taxameter for oligarks
I also happen to think a DIY guy can make something that matches it for far less money....less the Celtic pattern...what on earth were they thinking?
best
Leif

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
The UHA Phase 11 with external PS is the real deal... A no brainer for anyone that wants a plug n play unit that comes with a warranty and top notch support!

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
possibly, but part of the fun is to develop and build something myself
the satisfaction of sitting down and listening to something I´ve built myself is worth a lot!
and I don´t do it to save money......
best
Leif

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
anyway;
hats off to UltraAnalogueRecordings...Rossini Duo
UltraAnalogueRecordings på A807 2014-04-03 19.11.59.jpg
even on my "shitty" :rolleyes: A807 with VU it sounds amazing
through all the dirt, it´s still easy to recognize the astounding harmonics and richness of tone
best
Leif

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
possibly, but part of the fun is to develop and build something myself
the satisfaction of sitting down and listening to something I´ve built myself is worth a lot!
and I don´t do it to save money......
best
Leif

That's why I tie my own flies and build my rods, well wrap them. I don't form or glue up the bamboo or make the carbon fiber. When I caught my first trout on my own rod and custom designed fly it became a part of the Breuninger permanent memory bank.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
but you silly guys put the fish back in again :confused:
no Norwegian viking in his right mind would do such a dumb thing...
why bother catching it in the first place?
hypocrits........
best
Leif (like the viking that discovered America, long before Colombus :cool:)

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
but you silly guys put the fish back in again :confused:
no Norwegian viking in his right mind would do such a dumb thing...
why bother catching it in the first place?
hypocrits........
best
Leif (like the viking that discovered America, long before Colombus :cool:)

Hey, I never understood that either. Did you know you can buy fish at the store? :eek:)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hey, I never understood that either. Did you know you can buy fish at the store? :eek:)

Same reason I don't hunt. I wouldn't enjoy spending the day in the woods with ticks, flies, mosquitoes, and all the rest of the critters while I'm waiting to ambush an animal that is walking by. I do all of my hunting at the grocery store and I always bag everything I came for.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Same reason I don't hunt. I wouldn't enjoy spending the day in the woods with ticks, flies, mosquitoes, and all the rest of the critters while I'm waiting to ambush an animal that is walking by. I do all of my hunting at the grocery store and I always bag everything I came for.

Never understood hunting either. Out early morning freezing your ass off. I go "hunting" the same place you do!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Last edited:
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
A80 Reproamp mods

hello
have inspected the original reproamps and have some questions:
a) people complain about the yellowish Frako 47µF/40v elytics....due to sound or reliability issues?
A80 repro-amp Frako cap 2014-04-04 10.38.23.jpg
can they be replaced by bipolar BG N or Panasonic FC? do they really need to be 40vdc?

b) are the green Plesseys original? are they ok or replace by same as above? do they need to be 18vdc?
A80 repro-amp Plessey cap 2014-04-04 10.38.10.jpg

c) what about the A101? see they sell replacements on ebay...just because of failure or sound?
A80 repro-amp A101 2014-04-04 10.38.35.jpg

d) are the two cables original? replace by e.g Mogami 2552 balanced shielded microfone cable?
A80 repro-amp bottom2014-04-04 10.36.36.jpg

e) some people jump the output transformers....any ideas?
A80 repro-amp top 2014-04-04 10.36.28.jpg

hope someone can enlighten/guide me..
thxs in advance
best
Leif

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi Leif
First of all down load the circuit from internet , of cause you can replace all old caps with the same value but effectively to sound quality is coupling ones for those decoupling caps has to be same voltage or higher. the coupling caps is those red Tantalum better to use non polarity instead but with the same value then much much bigger in size that means you have to put it in out side. A101 is the first gain stage amp Studer made it like IC ,if replaced need calibration I keep the first two stages in stock design which will have a better frequency response (adjustable) for recording. for those short cables will not change much sound quality and even without shielding ,I use solid silver wire instead. the push pull transistor out put amp is sounding cloudy a simple tube amp with 600 ohm out put transformer can sound much better but you still can spread into two in put from second stage's out put, one way to tube amp the other to the transistor amp for a pair VU meter driving because you don't have meter in you unit
happy modification
tony ma

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing