Desert island R2R 1/4" 2 track master player

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Personally, the Studer A820 :cool:

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I want to go external repro amp and is basically after the optimal transport
using an A820 or a Nagra T as a mere trnasport might be a little steep for me as a starter
will the A80RC mkII do...or will I miss something?
and yes , I think the rest of my setup is up to it
best
Leif

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
I want to go external repro amp and is basically after the optimal transport
using an A820 or a Nagra T as a mere trnasport might be a little steep for me as a starter
will the A80RC mkII do...or will I miss something?
and yes , I think the rest of my setup is up to it
best
Leif
A820 and A80RC the transport is the same only the amp of A820 use more ICs and same design to A810. A810 that you can use the record head to play back just switch to SYN but not too sound good as well, if you do not want to do recording then special order a 4 track repro head to replace the recording head for A80RC with a out broad amp will do the job
tony ma

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
ok good news thxs!
where do I special order the 4 track repro head?
ok can switch head for the repro amp then....:cool:
best
Leif

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If only one? It would have to be the Studer A80RC MkII
So simple to work on, calibrate and maintain. My opinion, with few modifications, it's the best sounding Studer.

This forum should have a smiley for Applause!
Does your A80 have any modifications other than the external head amplifier?

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
A820 and A80RC the transport is the same...
tony ma

Tony,

I would respectfully differ, here. Find photos of the A820 and compare to the A80 RC MK II.
The tape paths and hence, transport, are not identical.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
This forum should have a smiley for Applause!
Does your A80 have any modifications other than the external head amplifier?

Ki has waved his magic wand over it and I also have custom Flux Magnetics ER heads, Athan rebuilt motors and bearings/pinch roller and a secret sauce! ;)

Tom B.

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
John at JRF added a 1/4" 4-tk Flux repro head to my A80 VU...little switch on top of the headblock selects 2-tk stereo or 4-tk playback. Really woke up some of those consumer 7" reels.

Tom

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
get this error message when I try to PM you......

tony ky ma has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space

best
Leif
sorry I clear the space already now, and I saw your phono design, do you use a MM cart or a MC step up in front of the in-put? in my experience I will like to use triode tube for better sound and transformer coupling not cap, and I wonder both of your tubes design have enough low impedance to drive 600 ohm LCR and out put to line stage ? because they use plate for out put (pentode has high impedance that will cost noise problem). but so far if you have no problem of your amp then you can try to replace the LCR filter to see how it sound but they have to be same 600 ohm, if gain is not enough then add a 1 to 10 step up transformer in front, now I only worked out the value of NAB LCR filter (test done) for CCIR is not yet
tony ma

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
sorry I clear the space already now, and I saw your phono design, do you use a MM cart or a MC step up in front of the in-put? in my experience I will like to use triode tube for better sound and transformer coupling not cap, and I wonder both of your tubes design have enough low impedance to drive 600 ohm LCR and out put to line stage ? because they use plate for out put (pentode has high impedance that will cost noise problem). but so far if you have no problem of your amp then you can try to replace the LCR filter to see how it sound but they have to be same 600 ohm, if gain is not enough then add a 1 to 10 step up transformer in front, now I only worked out the value of NAB LCR filter (test done) for CCIR is not yet
tony ma

I use a Lyra Titan "i"
the riaa has 2 inputs:
one for mm where the Titan is connected via a Lyra Erodion transformer
the other has an inbuilt S&B transformer
the riaa section meets line lvl signals in a seiden source selector switch, which routes the signal straight to a S&B TVC that drives my amps
NO noise, even at full volume, cartridge out of groove , into 112 db sensitive horn system
so would be interesting to test either straight passive CCIR curve or even better LCR version
best
Leif

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Congrats on your newest addition to the family! :)

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
thxs
btw butterfly heads, but I guess \I´ll survive
Studer A80 headblock 1 2014-04-02.jpg
probably getting my UltraAnalogues tomorrow....perfect timing
best
Leif

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Looks like an old BBC unit. The machine and capstan look in reasonably good shape. I'd change out the pinch roller, clean it up some and go from there.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing