Desert island R2R 1/4" 2 track master player

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
hello folks
Im new to this section and wonder, if you had to ditch all but one of your beloved R2R machines and bring with you to a desert island
which one would you keep?
I myself just aquired a Revox C270 and A Studer A807mkII VU in original trolley, but might have a 810,812 and an APR102 at hand
best
Leif
Norway

Studer A807-Revox C270.jpg

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
If only one? It would have to be the Studer A80RC MkII
So simple to work on, calibrate and maintain. My opinion, with few modifications, it's the best sounding Studer.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
interesting choice!
(what does RC imply?)
simplicity and reliability
If I want something for pure playback of new 2 track masters?
best
Leif

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
I guess you are a DIYER with all tubes all the way, so the best for you is Studer A80 as transport with a out broad tube repro pre-amp in listening only then you will find out the different of master dud copy quality very easily
tony ma

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
DIY all right! :D
DDDAC1794 choke input supply
Thorsten Loesch designet LCR riaa with 100lbs Borderpatrol choke input supply
Borderpatrol inspired all-out dual chassis/ch mono 6c45-IT-300B
FR TAD in JMLC /2xJBL 2220 in FLH/21" Eighteensound in sub horn system
have looked for schematics for repro amp, but none interesting one so far....
best
Leif

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
DIY all right! :D
DDDAC1794 choke input supply
Thorsten Loesch designet LCR riaa with 100lbs Borderpatrol choke input supply
Borderpatrol inspired all-out dual chassis/ch mono 6c45-IT-300B
FR TAD in JMLC /2xJBL 2220 in FLH/21" Eighteensound in sub horn system
have looked for schematics for repro amp, but none interesting one so far....
best
Leif
use your RIAA phono stage as the repro pre-amp too just change the LCR to NAB or CCIR, use a in-put transformer to match the head for gain will be the best idea
tony ma

jdza

May 3, 2010
Ampex 440C

Because I'm alone on the island i don't have to brag. Because it is so agriculturally simple I can fix it with a pair of pliers and some debris from a ship wreck. That bebop fat sound always makes one want to laugh out loud-as I am alone nobody would look at me askew. If i get bored i can always flash the shiny bits at passing ships/planes. I can sleep under it with my head in the shade. As i'm bound to become disorientated I 'll then start to believe I'm in the Seventies and my hair should be that long and listening to music should be fun and not a pseudo science.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
use your RIAA phono stage as the repro pre-amp too just change the LCR to NAB or CCIR, use a in-put transformer to match the head for gain will be the best idea
tony ma

Im afraid Ill need some sort of receipee/schematic to do just that
the thought has already passed my mind
its a Stevens&Billington 600R LCR unit as specified by Thorsten Loesch
I guess 50ish db gain is sufficient?
followed by S&B TVC straight to amps via remotecontrolled stepper motor Selden switches
hmmmmm you sure had me thinking.....
thxs
best
Leif

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Im afraid Ill need some sort of receipee/schematic to do just that
the thought has already passed my mind
its a Stevens&Billington 600R LCR unit as specified by Thorsten Loesch
I guess 50ish db gain is sufficient?
followed by S&B TVC straight to amps via remotecontrolled stepper motor Selden switches
hmmmmm you sure had me thinking.....
thxs
best
Leif
A 600 ohm LCR filter for NAB is very simple you only need 1.91 H choke and 5.3 mf cap and three 600 ohm R for one channel.gain will depend on the head of the machine but a in-put transformer between head and amp will do the job. try on site, after that what you need is fine recording source if you like classic music please visit our web site ultraanaloguerecordings.com
tony ma

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
You won't be able to source tubes in a deserted island.... All you need with an A80RC is duct tape and WD40!

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
hi
thxs for input
so what you say is that I can make a switch that disconnects the LCR riaa module and insert a replacement circuit consisting of the componenets mentioned
the LCR riaa module is hooked up between 2 E810F as input and output buffers
have seen the webpage and archived it for future shopping...
may I send you a PM?
best
Leif

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
hi
thxs for input
so what you say is that I can make a switch that disconnects the LCR riaa module and insert a replacement circuit consisting of the componenets mentioned
the LCR riaa module is hooked up between 2 E810F as input and output buffers
have seen the webpage and archived it for future shopping...
may I send you a PM?
best
Leif
do send PM to me, I am working on a new idea which I am going to put a switchable 600 ohm LCR filter to the final out-put stage of the pre-amp that after a small power tube to drive a 600 ohm out-put transformer let the filter being the out put load of the amp but not done yet
tony ma

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
A 600 ohm LCR filter for NAB is very simple you only need 1.91 H choke and 5.3 mf cap and three 600 ohm R for one channel.gain will depend on the head of the machine but a in-put transformer between head and amp will do the job. try on site, after that what you need is fine recording source if you like classic music please visit our web site ultraanaloguerecordings.com
tony ma

get this error message when I try to PM you......

tony ky ma has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space

best
Leif

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
hello again
is it possible to have dual repro heads on the A80RC 1/4 inch 2T ?
would be nice to have the possibility of playing both 2 and 4 track on the same machine
I know it can be done on the ATR 102....
best
Leif

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
hello again
is it possible to have dual repro heads on the A80RC 1/4 inch 2T ?
would be nice to have the possibility of playing both 2 and 4 track on the same machine
I know it can be done on the ATR 102....
best
Leif

I know the A80 also comes in a preview option with 2 playback heads. It should certainly be feasible, especially if one head goes to an outboard pre.

I'm with Christian.... find an Otari MX-5050 that has both the 2-track and 4-track heads.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing