Expert Advice Wanted Here

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
This is basically an advantage of the big wilsons I would say , by aiming the MTM units at a certain angle , you can get a response very close by which one could not achieve with " straightfiring " units , to optimize such a speaker I think it would be good to check the response after set up with a measuring tool, because ears can be fooled :D, and by also adjusting resistors accordingly
But at a certain far away distance the need to angle becomes less, another reason could be that wilsons mtm is stacked on two big woofers basically which places the mtm automatically quite high and you need to be creative in order to get a believable soundstage

Last edited:

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Just Outside New Orleans, La.
Ok here is where i ended up after trying some new things today... It sounds good and i like it and the curve looks alot better.

Attachments

• 3 28 14 current eq subs 180 phasing.jpg
    3 28 14 current eq subs 180 phasing.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 169

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yep much better , although it looks like you need to tune down the tweeter ?output a little more around 3000 hz, besides that a +- 2,5/3 hz over a wide part of the audioband

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Besides the little bump at 3 kHz .
If you draw a horizontal straight line through the middle of your response, from let say 200 hz to 10 kHz it deviates + 3 db and - 3 db from that middleline , 200 hz - 10 kHz is an important part of the audioband off course which goes from around 20 hz - 20 kHz

Vapor1

Oct 19, 2012
St Louis, MO
www.vaporsound.com
No I am using a passive xover in both speakers, I moved the LP around till I found the best curve I could then EQed from there.

While it probably is an improvement, things like the suckout caused from poor phase alignment and summation at 400hz cannot be fixed with EQ. You can make it look fixed in a measurement, but the phase is no more aligned now than it was before. But if you mean by "moved the LP around" that you actually changed the crossover components to get things flat first, then EQ'd, you're probably in pretty good shape. It's still impossible to say if you have proper summation without measuring the raw individual drivers and extracting minimum phase, then running a simulation. But that's a whole new ballgame ;)

Basically, it looks like an improvement for sure, but keep working and learning!

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Not sure what you mean by changing xo componets but, what i moved was the Listening Position to get the curve as best i could then eq. What exactly is a suckout how does it look? What kind of phasing issue are you talking about?

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
So here is where I am today...

Attachments

• current setup with delay.jpg
    current setup with delay.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 257
  • left side overlay tweeter mid.jpg
    left side overlay tweeter mid.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 260
  • right side overlay tweeter mid.jpg
    right side overlay tweeter mid.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 238

marin

Nov 17, 2013
Munich-Germany
Just read this thread today and have one observation:
Mid/tweet impulse responses for left and right speakers seem to be taken with reversed polarities.
Is that only a measurement hookup related issue, or are you actually listening to music like this?
My guess is, that it's mesurement hookup related, because the above frequency response of combined left/right speakers should look a lot worse if taken with reversed mid/tweet polarities.
Please clarify the situation.
Regards, Marin

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing