Any Forsell Air Reference LTD owners here?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
micro any issues with speed stability or time it takes to get up to proper speed (if I recall it's several minutes with the flywheel version)?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
micro any issues with speed stability or time it takes to get up to proper speed (if I recall it's several minutes with the flywheel version)?

The control electronics of the Forsell flywheel was the Achilles knee of the AirForce One. Mine is modified for a faster startup but needs around 20-30s to stabilize. One of my future projects is just adding an external motor to drive the flywheel - the original DC axially mounted motor is very difficult to control, although it includes a tachometer.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Can you tell me the airline and fitting size data for the fitting shown in your surge tanks?

I am not sure if I can source correct metric type air fittings readily. As I am having to learn the pneumatic world, we use:

NPTNational (American) Pipe Tapered Thread

and Europe uses one of the below thread standards:

BSPT (R)British Standard Pipe Tapered Thread
BSPP (G)British Standard Pipe Parallel Thread

By the looks of it, the airline is about 6mm O.D.

Thanks, Francisco.

Ki

Unfortunately I am not an expert in threads - as far as I know the Forsell uses the same standard we see in hobby/ semi professional air compressors and airlines for painting - the filters and regulators fit directly in the surge tanks threads. I always get the airline tubing and accessories such as T connectors from the gardening or the aquarium fish sections in stores.

I have separate pressure indicators for each air line - I use manometers taken from very cheap blood pressure meters, they are very accurate.

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 803
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 549
Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Hi,

Looking for advice on how to improve air system from Forsell gurus.

I would like to know what would be the best air pump(s) for noise and performance for both arm and platter along with regulator(s) and airline choices, etc.

Thanks,
Ki

Ki, you own Nagras and air pumps for turntable and arms!!?, you like your popcorn with lots of salt! :)

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Thanks Fransico for your reply and the photos.

The airline connectors are non-industrial type as you said. It might be for serious aquariums I guess. the difficult part for us in US is that the tubing is 6mm OD that is very close to 1/4" OD (and I've confirmed it worked as replacements) but the airline female fitting turned out to have M10 thread that is unobtainable here.

I am rebuilding the platter air bearing and separate air systems for the platter and the arm as you have done. Since I have the factory system with one air supply to be splitted into two for the turntable, i would need to source additional air setup.

However, the air bearing idea is very intriguing to me for both the platter and the arm if they work properly to float and to be isolated from all mechanical vibrations. Guess it is easier said than practically done though.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks Fransico for your reply and the photos.

The airline connectors are non-industrial type as you said. It might be for serious aquariums I guess. the difficult part for us in US is that the tubing is 6mm OD that is very close to 1/4" OD (and I've confirmed it worked as replacements) but the airline female fitting turned out to have M10 thread that is unobtainable here.

I am rebuilding the platter air bearing and separate air systems for the platter and the arm as you have done. Since I have the factory system with one air supply to be splitted into two for the turntable, i would need to source additional air setup.

However, the air bearing idea is very intriguing to me for both the platter and the arm if they work properly to float and to be isolated from all mechanical vibrations. Guess it is easier said than practically done though.

You will find it is much simpler than people can imagine. All you need is a clean continuous flow of air. BTW the Techno Takatsuki Co. air pumps (same as used in the Forsell , the Eminent Technology and several other air bearing tonearms ) are not expensive and are sold by HiBlow. http://www.hiblow-usa.com/?module=Home.
Next time I go to our local tooling warehouse I will look if they have the M10 thread fittings.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) The airline connectors are non-industrial type as you said. It might be for serious aquariums I guess. the difficult part for us in US is that the tubing is 6mm OD that is very close to 1/4" OD (and I've confirmed it worked as replacements) but the airline female fitting turned out to have M10 thread that is unobtainable here. (...)

Ki,

Just to add that the airline female are not M10. I was astonished a paint accessory could be metric, as almost all tubing in Europe is still imperial. Although the OD of the thread is .385 " (9.86mm) It is the same pitch as some panel RCA connectors I used recently. Thread pitch is approximately .04".

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Ki,

Just to add that the airline female are not M10. I was astonished a paint accessory could be metric, as almost all tubing in Europe is still imperial. Although the OD of the thread is .385 " (9.86mm) It is the same pitch as some panel RCA connectors I used recently. Thread pitch is approximately .04".

I spent all last Saturday at the Lowes that stocks most of all US fittings. I tried all imperial thread but it wasn't perfect. It would start and go in about 3 mm and it won't advance due to pitch difference. Then I went to an auto parts store and tried their selection of car brake line fittings that are metric. When I tried M10 x 1 thread male connector for brakeline, the airline female connector from Forsell worked perfectly.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
You will find it is much simpler than people can imagine. All you need is a clean continuous flow of air. BTW the Techno Takatsuki Co. air pumps (same as used in the Forsell , the Eminent Technology and several other air bearing tonearms ) are not expensive and are sold by HiBlow. http://www.hiblow-usa.com/?module=Home.
Next time I go to our local tooling warehouse I will look if they have the M10 thread fittings.

Actually from your photos, I found the part number of the Takasuki SSP-6GA air pump. There's one with 220V AC input version for sale on eBay for $1200...

As mention earlier, if you would remove the one of the metal connector from airline and try it on imperial thread male connector, you will see it will not go in more than 3 mm... But if you try the connector on a M10 x 1 thread male, it will go in all the way.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing