Amp recommendations for Nola Metro Grand speakers

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Hi,

I've just emptied the piggybank, upgrading to Nola Metro Grand II speakers and a TotalDAC D1-Dual.
My current amps are VTL 300 deluxe monoblocks which have two problems as I see it.
Number 1 is that they do not support balanced inputs, and that is obligatory for the TotalDAC (well, I could run balanced interconnects, then convert to RCA with adapters that Vincent sells) to fully utilize the balanced DAC.
Number 2 is that the VTL 300 watters were perfect for my old B&W speakers but seem too hot for the Nolas, requiring a lot of attenuation (20-40dB) if driven directly from the DAC.

Any recommendations on a good pair of balanced input monoblocks for driving the Nolas?
Nola typically demos with audio research and the stereo 75W amp seems to drive the big Nolas pretty well.

thanks.

Marty

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Hi,

I've just emptied the piggybank, upgrading to Nola Metro Grand II speakers and a TotalDAC D1-Dual.
My current amps are VTL 300 deluxe monoblocks which have two problems as I see it.
Number 1 is that they do not support balanced inputs, and that is obligatory for the TotalDAC (well, I could run balanced interconnects, then convert to RCA with adapters that Vincent sells) to fully utilize the balanced DAC.
Number 2 is that the VTL 300 watters were perfect for my old B&W speakers but seem too hot for the Nolas, requiring a lot of attenuation (20-40dB) if driven directly from the DAC.

Any recommendations on a good pair of balanced input monoblocks for driving the Nolas?
Nola typically demos with audio research and the stereo 75W amp seems to drive the big Nolas pretty well.

thanks.

Marty

Congrats to your new speakers! I'm expecting a delivery of the Metro Grand Reference Gold within the upcoming weeks. Ayon and VTL (current versions comes with balanced inputs) should be potentially great matches for the Nolas if you favour tubes. I will report back as soon as I've gathered some experience with them.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Congrats to your new speakers! I'm expecting a delivery of the Metro Grand Reference Gold within the upcoming weeks. Ayon and VTL (current versions comes with balanced inputs) should be potentially great matches for the Nolas if you favour tubes. I will report back as soon as I've gathered some experience with them.

The VTL are a very good match for the Metro Grand, really wonderful, but alas single ended.
I will definitely consider newer VTL models as well, as I am definitely a fan of tube amplifiers.

I wonder if the LAMM ML2 or ML2.1 would be a good match?

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
The VTL are a very good match for the Metro Grand, really wonderful, but alas single ended.
I will definitely consider newer VTL models as well, as I am definitely a fan of tube amplifiers.

I wonder if the LAMM ML2 or ML2.1 would be a good match?

I can't really judge the LAMMs as I've only heard them at shows, but I believe they will provide some additional warmth, body and density compared to VTL and Ayon, which are both very neutral in character. For good or bad. The LAMMs are also quite large/bulky, but also runs very hot - if that's of any concern to you.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Call Carl.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Fantastic news! Definitely let us know what you think!!!

Idefix

May 17, 2014
Hi,

thanks.

Marty

Hi Marty

I have now the Metro Gold for severall months.
I use them with a Zanden preamp and a Luxman M800 ClassA.
My room is not very large and for now i don't real need an other M800 to drive my Nolas.

After severall tests i finaly chose a tube preamp with a ClassA power amp.
My first idea was full tube amplification but with this set i can have qualities of both world.

The Metros are fabulous and give me an extraordinary musical experience.

You can of course use 2 M800 in bridge mode.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Marty

I have now the Metro Gold for severall months.
I use them with a Zanden preamp and a Luxman M800 ClassA.
My room is not very large and for now i don't real need an other M800 to drive my Nolas.

After severall tests i finaly chose a tube preamp with a ClassA power amp.
My first idea was full tube amplification but with this set i can have qualities of both world.

The Metros are fabulous and give me an extraordinary musical experience.

You can of course use 2 M800 in bridge mode.
Given my own electronics...I am most intrigued by these speakers which have received many, many strong recommendations. Look forward to listening to them next time I get a chance. Enjoy!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The speakers are beautiful (and beautiful sounding)!

You don't like the usual recommendation of the ARC 75 to drive them?

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden

I do know that Nola often demos their speakers with ARC (especially the ARC 75). I'm not carrying ARC, but I've got wonderful results with Mastersound and VTL so far. Jeff Rowland is also a great choice if you prefer solid state.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I do know that Nola often demos their speakers with ARC (especially the ARC 75). I'm not carrying ARC, but I've got wonderful results with Mastersound and VTL so far. Jeff Rowland is also a great choice if you prefer solid state.

Are you using Odin or Valhala2 cables?

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

rb,

RUN, don't walk, and get yourself an ARC REF75 and upgrade to to KT150s. I use that amp on the Concert Grand and it is an amazing combo. Now, others of course may have differing opinions, but why not try what the speaker manufacturer recommends and uses. Carl does know and kudos for designing a system rather than just a speaker and from my perch, I have never heard any better than what I have now. As I have said in other threads, I have "upgraded" from REF250s to the REF75. The KT150s was the cherry on top.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

Just went to your site. Great selection. I am envious of all the great stuff.

One thing. I too use Valhalla 2 throughout, except from my REF75. There, per Carl's recommendation, I am using an Odin power cord directly into the wall. I was skeptical but again, he proved to be correct. No going back.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Just went to your site. Great selection. I am envious of all the great stuff.

One thing. I too use Valhalla 2 throughout, except from my REF75. There, per Carl's recommendation, I am using an Odin power cord directly into the wall. I was skeptical but again, he proved to be correct. No going back.

Thanks - appreciate it. Yes, ARC has proven synergy with Nola. That said, there are great options.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks - appreciate it. Yes, ARC has proven synergy with Nola. That said, there are great options.

Hyperion - Yours is one of the best websites I have seen for any dealer or distributor...nicely done!!

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

Agreed.

I have tried McIntosh MC2301, REF250s, Constellation Centaur and the REF75. For me the Constellation was a no go from the start. I had purchased it for a second system for Magico Q1s. They were not my cup of tea especially after getting hooked on NOLAs. I tried ARC on Q1s and Constellation on the NOLA. The Constellation was not very good on the NOLA. The REF250s replaced the MC2301 as I felt they were the better amp. However, I was very surprised (and skeptical) when Carl recommended the REF75. I felt the REF250s were the better amp for the Baby Grands Series II whereas the REF75 the better amp for the Concert Grand, BUT, with the KT150 retubing, the REF75 becomes a giant killer.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Agreed.

I have tried McIntosh MC2301, REF250s, Constellation Centaur and the REF75. For me the Constellation was a no go from the start. I had purchased it for a second system for Magico Q1s. They were not my cup of tea especially after getting hooked on NOLAs. I tried ARC on Q1s and Constellation on the NOLA. The Constellation was not very good on the NOLA. The REF250s replaced the MC2301 as I felt they were the better amp. However, I was very surprised (and skeptical) when Carl recommended the REF75. I felt the REF250s were the better amp for the Baby Grands Series II whereas the REF75 the better amp for the Concert Grand, BUT, with the KT150 retubing, the REF75 becomes a giant killer.

Frankly, it sounds like Concert Grands plus Ref75 is a GIANT SYSTEM killer. Does the Ref75 also work for the Grand Ref IV or whatever the 4 tower super-flagship is?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing