Tortuga LDR Preamps

soundArgument

May 12, 2013
London
I recently had a conversation with a Manhattan-based audio dealer who told me about the virtues of light-dependent resistor (LDR) preamps. In theory, LDR preamps can offer more accurate volume attenuation than potentiometers and more precise volume attenuation than stepped attenuators, which tend to have relatively large "steps" between volume settings. I had read about a few megabuck models that use LDR volume controls--the Constellation preamps and the Dartzeel--but the dealer told me he might start selling products from Tortuga Audio, which makes an affordable and fully passive LDR preamplifier:

http://www.tortugaaudio.com/product/ldr3-passive-preamp/

I'm not a fan of the way this preamp looks, nor do I like the company's name. But feedback on the sound of this company's products, from 6Moons and elsewhere, has been extremely positive. The price is right, too.

I'm hoping the dealer with whom I spoke actually picks up the product line so that I (and other audiophiles in New York) can give it a listen. Has anyone had the opportunity to hear one of these?

Last edited:

Colin Wonfor

Mar 8, 2014
Lost in Space
Hi,

I have come across this company a few times, what bugs me they use a LDR this nice brushless device no noise no nasty variable capacitance as you turn the Knob etc. And stuff it full of digital crap WHY? the noise from this so called control electronics must be adding to your enjoyment of music.
The next thing I asked them was what type of LDR,s they use "CdS" was the answer, and at the time they were trying to sell to Europe based customer, no Cadmium can be used in Europe for commercial products without exemptions, this worried me.
So check the rules in the US before you buy please. :confused:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing