New Tape Pre installation for Gary in Ohio

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
the tape head input section clips at a little over 1.2v p/p and the output section at 90v p/p as long as you stay below that - you will be fine. :)

There are getting to be a few around the country - let me know and I'll try to hook you up with a demo.

Thanks for the specs - that's helpful :)
There may be one in OC ;)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Yes - thanks, Nick.
Perhaps, I'll hear a version of your unit, soon.
How does the unit handle hot signal, say...+9/185?

Sam

Very soon. I am still on for the weekend of April 5-6

Call me at your convenience.

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
This particular 820 had been previously modified for use with a external preamplifier and had a balanced cable brought out to a pair of RCA connectors on the bulkhead. I removed the RCA's and installed XLR's (separating the -ve from ground) and then we ran a short 3 ft jumper to the outboard preamp. An intriguing thought is the improvement brought about by removing the switch and running dedicated cable to the outboard electronics. My guess would be that it may not be worth the loss of utility provided by the switch.

As far as the unit goes - nothing else was changed with respect to the internal record electronics and related functionality. (to my knowledge)

HTH - Gary can add if I have left out anything.

Nick,

You covered the explanation perfect ( nothing else was changed with respect to the internal record electronics and related functionality )

Gary

BTW, As you suggested at some point we should try another cable from the head block to the XLR's.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Sam

Very soon. I am still on for the weekend of April 5-6

Call me at your convenience.

Hi Steve,

Looking forward to spending some quality time with you and C.
Talk with you, soon.

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
I don't know if anyone noticed the diffusor in the back with the pink Floyd poster cut into it - glad I saw it sober cause it may have been too much otherwise.
first thought as I got into my car on the return trip - gotta make myself one of those !!

Nick,

Very easy to make, just a bit time consuming. I'm sure you are used to that!
Any art work will do.
I will pm you with a list of supplies & directions.

Gary 1.jpg

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Nick,

You covered the explanation perfect ( nothing else was changed with respect to the internal record electronics and related functionality )

Gary

BTW, As you suggested at some point we should try another cable from the head block to the XLR's.

rad,

Thanks for chiming in with further detail.
I don't know of anyone implementing Nick's tape head preamp with an A820.

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
rad,

Thanks for chiming in with further detail.
I don't know of anyone implementing Nick's tape head preamp with an A820.

Hi Sam,

You are welcome.
I'm pretty sure Nick's pre would work or could be installed on any tape deck. A question to be better answered by Nick.

Thank you everyone for the nice comments.

Gary

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
I'm pretty sure Nick's pre would work or could be installed on any tape deck.

If I may jump in, most 1/4" Studer repro heads have similar DCR and have either 200mH or 250mH inductance.

A810s, if the head has .75mm gap (i.e. Butterfly heads) it has 200mH inductance whereas 2mm gap (usual heads) would be at 250mH.
A80RCs, both .75mm and 2mm gap heads have 200mH inductance and
A820s, both .75mm and 2mm gap repo heads have 250mH inductance.

Thus all modern Studer master recorders with Studer factory repro heads are compatible with Nick's preamp. "I guarantee it.;)" George Zimmer

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
Rad

Beautiful and IMHO Nicks unit stands head and shoulders above the rest but I'm a tube guy and have bias as I own his unit.

Have you had a chance to roll the middle 4 tubes.

Steve,

Thank You.

I agree, Nicks unit is the best I have tried & heard..... IT'S NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!! IMHO!

Any advancement of tape & their upgrades should be looked upon in a positive venue & I'm happy to have tried a few others that are out there.

Once the unit burns in & I spend some time with these tubes I may dabble in the rolling. I want to get a good reading on these.
I have read the previous threads on the Doshi & your, Ki's & Bruce's experiences. Since you have much more time on yours & experience, which ones do you suggest & the differences you hear?
Also, where to look to purchase?

Thanks Steve ( Ki, JT, Bruce & a few others as well ) , all of you tape heads have had a influence on my decisions.

Gary

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve,

Thank You.

I agree, Nicks unit is the best I have tried & heard..... IT'S NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!! IMHO!

Any advancement of tape & their upgrades should be looked upon in a positive venue & I'm happy to have tried a few others that are out there.

Once the unit burns in & I spend some time with these tubes I may dabble in the rolling. I want to get a good reading on these.
I have read the previous threads on the Doshi & your, Ki's & Bruce's experiences. Since you have much more time on yours & experience, which ones do you suggest & the differences you hear?
Also, where to look to purchase?

Thanks Steve ( Ki, JT, Bruce & a few others as well ) , all of you tape heads have had a influence on my decisions.

Gary
Gary

here is a link to the write up of my room and the tubes I rolled in Nick's unit...

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...Steve-Williams&p=200934&viewfull=1#post200934

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
What a great room!!!! I am in the amateur zone!! (Cold reality check that pic! :) )

Congratulations !!!!

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
Gary, what an awesome room. I had no idea you were into RTR in such a large way. Hopefully one day I can visit you from down under.

Best
Neville

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
HARDCORE rad! Love it! Congratulations on your new baby!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Nick,

Very easy to make, just a bit time consuming. I'm sure you are used to that!
Any art work will do.
I will pm you with a list of supplies & directions.

Gary View attachment 14862

Tape is nice and all, blah, blah, blah, but those diffuser panels are DA BOMB! I love that idea!

What a great room and system!

Thanks for sharing!

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
Gary, what an awesome room. I had no idea you were into RTR in such a large way. Hopefully one day I can visit you from down under.

Best
Neville

Hi Neville,

Thank You for you comment.

You would be welcomed here anytime for your trip over the big pond.
As we spoke before, it is on my bucket list to visit the down under as well. I've always been partial to the great wine of Australia :D.

The Doshi has been getting quite a bit of play the last few weeks & has really impressed the hell out of me.
My wife was listening with me the other night & she even remarked on how natural the sound was coming from tape & she usually doesn't say much,,,,,, other than How Much Was this or that, or is that New!!!
LOL!

Thanks,
Gary

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
Tape is nice and all, blah, blah, blah, but those diffuser panels are DA BOMB! I love that idea!

What a great room and system!

Thanks for sharing!

Thank You John,

The diffusers work very well in my room. Of course, I have a combination of some absorption / diffusion around the room.
Took some trial, error on my part & a little finishing help from a pro ( Jeff Hedback ) but I feel it sounds the best it's ever sounded now.

Gary

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing